People moving to the DR

AhappyTraveller

Aug 7, 2006
Hi everyone,

not sure if this has been addressed or not, but I have been reading and reading and reading many posts about people wanting to relocate.

I too have thought of this as I am looking to move somewhere for 2-3 yrs to gain experience in another country and culture. My question is...Do people actually make this move without learning the language? I do not know one word of spanish!! I will be taking a spanish course at our local university next month and once completed I will then have a better idea of my abilities.

Can you find employment there if you only speak english?

And before anyone jumps all over this, it is not for a guy. I have worked extremely hard over the last 10 yrs building towards taking a move like this. Financially I would be ok, but would like to find some kind of employment there to keep myself busy and enjoy the different culture.

Looking for some advice and ideas from experienced people that have made this move.

Thanks

AhappyTraveller

Aug 7, 2006
Guess that would have been good to post :)

Yes, I have vacationed there several times over the past 15 yrs. But have never stayed longer than 2 weeks at a time due my work schedule.

J

John Evans

yes there are people here who dont know any spanish- it makes it more challenging ....ahem

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Yes you can come here if you don't speak Spanish but it helps if you learn it quickly. Yes you can find employment if you don't speak Spanish - many of the tour reps I have met don't speak Spanish, or call centre work, and a great deal of the ex pats I know here don't speak a word of Spanish. However, you are on the right track taking a course before you come.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Hi everyone,

not sure if this has been addressed or not, but I have been reading and reading and reading many posts about people wanting to relocate.

I too have thought of this as I am looking to move somewhere for 2-3 yrs to gain experience in another country and culture. My question is...Do people actually make this move without learning the language? I do not know one word of spanish!! I will be taking a spanish course at our local university next month and once completed I will then have a better idea of my abilities.

Can you find employment there if you only speak english?

And before anyone jumps all over this, it is not for a guy. I have worked extremely hard over the last 10 yrs building towards taking a move like this. Financially I would be ok, but would like to find some kind of employment there to keep myself busy and enjoy the different culture.

Looking for some advice and ideas from experienced people that have made this move.

Thanks

My husband and I have retired to the DR and spoke almost no Spanish when we arrived but, due to dealing with our workers who don't speak English (although they understand more than they admit!!) and coping with life in a Spanish speaking country, we have learned a lot but still find it difficult to communicate effectively. My desire to speak the language more efficiently is born more from embaressment at my inability to have a good discussion with our 'locals'.

AhappyTraveller

Aug 7, 2006
Thanks for the information, I agree I will feel much better knowing at least some of the language.

Another question....any suggestions on areas in the Dominican Republic I should be researching to live in?

Thanks

BTW: Although I never post and have been more of a lurker...the overwhelming information you can find on this site is fantastic. Always impressed with the help the Dr1's are willing to provide..Thanks Everyone!!!

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
It takes years and years and years

I had years of Spanish and was practically bilingual in French when I came here-- but still I would listen to the television in Spanish and not understand a word. When I would call on the phone for a cab or something and they wouldn't understand me, I would actually raise my voice, YELL at them-- I mean.. how stupid is that? I would weep in frustration sometimes.... Then suddenly one day, I just found that I understood everything that was being said on the morning TV show. It helped a lot that I moved to the Capital from the beach --- ok, now, I don't want to ruffle feathers but I was in a small town where the mayor was barely literate so I wasn't hearing the best of the best and didn't get even the daily paper... So it helped a lot when I got to the Capital and had the daily paper and started to interact with some Dominicans of my own educational background. My advice for anyone moving here would be to come to the Capital for the first six months and take side trips to every single one of the suggested beach areas to see where they might want to live... would be how I would do it....You can get a good aparthotel base camp here and take easy three and four day runs up to the north coast, out to Punta Cana, east to Juan Dolio, North to Santiago, all the while studing Spanish and getting to know the people and feeling your way a bit. You have a good English library here, an English Church, a bit of an expat community, an easy transport to the rest of the country.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
More on the Spanish

There are some Spanish language schools here - one in Sosua and several in the Capital -- I have not been. I know that I have a Dutch friend who does Spanish language schools for a living who says that the ones in Guatemala and Cuba are better and cheaper but,,,,, it might be worthwhile to invest in an intentive month long course somewhere or other to at least give yourself a jump start, And to isolate yourself away a bit from a true ex pat group where you will be forced to fend for yourself......

mike.n.amy

Jun 4, 2007
Another question....any suggestions on areas in the Dominican Republic I should be researching to live in?

This totally depends on what you're looking for. Are you a city person? Small beach-town type? Will you have transportation? Do you want a more local feel or do you want to be surrounded by expats/tourists?

We prefer the beach town atmosphere. We moved to Sosua without ever having been to the DR (and knowing only a few words of Spanish). It was okay, but not for us. Then we went to Cabarete for dinner and VOILA! - our perfect spot! Within a month we relocated to a long-term rental in Cabarete and love it. Smaller than Sosua. Lots of bars/restaurants right on the beach, you can walk the entire town in about 15 minutes, and Sosua is a short gua gua ride away.

I'd say do as much research on the net as possible, but don't pin yourself down to one place until you see how you like it.

Best of luck!

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
We came here with almost no spanish, moved to Costambar & realised we didn't need it here either. Having said that I took a few lessons to learn how to conjugate verbs & the numbers & continually amaze myself how much I can understand & communicate when necessary.

Living in Costambar we both speak perfect restaurant & bar spanish tho ....