vegetarian food

M

Mia Dalmans

Hi!

My name is Mia and Im going with my boyfriend so DR in two weeks.
We are staying at an all inclusive hotel called "Fun royal"
I would like to know more about DR food and if there's something to eat as a vegetarian (I eat fish)

email me or make a comment, Thanks

/Mia

B

bernie

There are several veggie rest in SD, most inexpensive. if your in an all inclusive hotel why a veggie rest ?

R

Roberto

Hi Ms.Mr.?
Mia

I had send you A E-mail Feel Free to respond me

Regards

Roberto

M

Meredith

I'm a vegetarian and just spent the past 2 months in the D.R., mind you I didn't stay in a resort, but I had no problem with the food. The main dish is rice and beans and I ate a lot of plantain, yuca, spaghetti and black flour, so I had no problems. Just make sure that you let them know.

J

John

I too am a vegetarian. I have heard there was somone in the mountains growing Organic food,and sold their product here. Can somone help me find such a person, or group of people.Any information on Organic food, or living an Organic lifestyle here would be appriciated..John

A

Another Gringo in Pto.Pta.

I use to eat at the Fun Royal many, many times, so I know you dont will have a problem. Because the have a always a big buffet,
so you just pick what you want (from all the veg....and fish etc)
cu/charly

R

Roberto

Hi Mr.John

you can find Organic foods in any Mercados of the Province

In Santo Domingo/Puerto Plata/Higuey any others
the market are open From 08/09:00 untill 18:00 monday to Saturday and sunday about 17uhr:00 normally there are nothing left

so Remember it is not A supermarket either A colmado

Mercado municipales are those market

there meals that the Campesinos bring from they villages to sel and normally they sel them all in one day

A other posibilitys that you have are
that Inespre organizy Economical market every week end on the Province and there foods are not expencif at all
and fore sure fresh

Hope this information would help you

T

Tom F.

Re: Farmers Markets

Roberto, You are correct about small and medium size farmers are selling their produce directly to the public in "mercados de productores". US AID and INESPRE have teamed up to organize these events and subsidize some of the travel expenses for the farmers for the initial months. Much of the produce is grow without the use of pesitisides or chemical fertilizers, some are. You can ask when you purchase and hopefully you will be told the truth. My sister-in-law in on the organizing committee and one of the participating farmers in San Francisco de Macoris. You can find a few things that are very hard to find at the traditional markets. Bee pollen, white tayota, pipiota are a few things I was able to purchase.

T

Tom F.

whole foods

Ananda's is located in the Captital and SFM. You can also ask around for the Hari Crishna places in Santo Domingo. I have heard about a few places in Santiago that have organic food. You will have trouble finding brown rice and everyone cooks with vegetable oil or sometimes pork grease. I would recommend you carry around a bit of olive oil for your salads if you eat at the more moderate restraurants. You can find a nice variety of beans, lots of fish near the coastal areas, and feast on all the root vegetables which I don't know how to spell. You can try many different fruit juices. If you need sugar, ask for half the normal amount and it will be plenty sweet.

R

Roberto

Re: whole foods-100% ritgh Tom F

let me ad some more

about the Sugar the white sugar are not good fore you better buy you own sugar Prieta/Brown Sugar in the super market

and make you own juice at home it is not spencif and with 20 pesos you can have A lots more of juice :)

Regards

Roberto

W

Wanda

Is there a farmers market in Sosua? How about Puerta Plata? If so where in these two towns? Thanks, wanda

A

Another Gringo in Pto.Pta.

Here it is, close to the hospital. If you come from Sosua/Play Dorada, just on the Hill/Mainstreet bevore the Hospitel make a "half" right, there the farmers market is.
cu/charly