Making the move!!!!

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
Hi all!!!
I am in the final stages of my move to the Dominican Republic!! If all gets wrapped up (without any snags) I'll be there mid June, if not, mid July is the latest!!! I'll be located somewhere between Sousa and Rio San Jaun. I have good friends there who are helping out with that part, thank god!!!

I've planned to stay for a year or so, but my eldest son says once I'm there I'l probably never return to the cold winters of Canada. I think he's on to something!!! HEHEHE

I've been lurking here for awhile, occassionaly making a reply, and want to thank the creators of the site because these forums provide valuable information.

Thanks to all the regular posters. I hope to meet some of you when I get there.

No this isn't a farewell to DR1, LOL, just want everyone to know that their words and advice are exceptional!!!!! Some posts just plain entertaining LOL.

So I'll see you soon !!!!!

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
thanks

Thank you! I am looking forward to the move. However there are all the little things to finish up here first that can be a pain. LOL but all worth it.

By the way I always read your posts!

jojocdn

Mar 9, 2008
Am going to be moving in the Autumn...hopefully...did you arrange residency and if so, which government department in the capital did you have to contact for papers?

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
Haven't made arrangements for residency at this point. While there I will do what is needed. Check out the "legal" section here for full details on what is required.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Good Luck to you...I'm moving in August. Maybe we can email and compare adventures!!! I will be in Santiago (well, 45 min. from Santiago)

SusieB

Apr 8, 2008
Wow!

I am new to this site. You are doing what I am hoping to do.

If I might be nosey, are you doing this for love? I recently posted a thread asking if love is real in D.R. and did not get much encouragement.

Do you have any advice for a Montreal girl also thinking of running away from winter?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Advice:
Oh there is tons of that here.!!!
You can run away from winter, if you do it for the right reasons.

One thing would be to stay away from the coast, and partially integrate into a section of the society that does not look for dollars or visas or sex partners for hire.

If you have a skill set that is saleable or is it sellable??, anyway, something you can earn a living with, you can find people of your educational, social and economic level that are not looking for anything. These are people you can associate with.

You will not find them on the beach.

HB

andrewc52002

Feb 6, 2007
Advice:
If you have a skill set that is saleable or is it sellable??, anyway, something you can earn a living with, you can find people of your educational, social and economic level that are not looking for anything. These are people you can associate with.

You will not find them on the beach.

HB

But we come for the beach !
I guess you are right, for all the expats I've met last March in Sosua had no tan at all. I didn't ask why, but it just came to my mind now. They don't go to the beach, that's for sure.
Any thought on that ?

Last edited:

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
Hillbilly:

I have a skillset that I hope to be able to put to good use. I am a drug and alcohol counsellor, an educational therapist, social worker, and I've dabbled in Real Estate for 20 yrs. I hope with all that experience I'll find something to do. ;)

I'm fortunate enough to have a small income which provides me the opportunity to move, improve my Spanish, get involved with community and find a job.

Although I love the beach, that is not the one and only draw to the Dominican Republic. IF it were I am sure I'd get bored very soon.

I am also fortunate to have friends both Dominican and Expats and of course all of the DR1 community.

Even while there I will be a regular "hunter of information" on this site.

I guess you are right, for all the expats I've met last March in Sosua had no tan at all. I didn't ask why, but it just came to my mind now. They don't go to the beach, that's for sure.
Any thought on that ?

Because when you live here, the beach is a noisy place for some of us.
You like it more quiet after a while. Gosh i feel old... :paranoid:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Any thought on that ?

I moved to South Florida in 2002 thinking I would be a weekend beach bum.

That quickly died out in less than three months. It started getting old!!!!

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
the beach bum thing died out during my last visit which was the end of March LOL Guess I too am getting old! Wait!!!!no!!!! I refuse to grow up :surprised

andrewc52002

Feb 6, 2007
I moved to South Florida in 2002 thinking I would be a weekend beach bum.

That quickly died out in less than three months. It started getting old!!!!

Wow ... that's interesting. I can take it if it were for a daily beach visit, but once a week becoming boredom ... I didn't expect.
Is this common for the expats ? I mean, to leave the beach for other quiet places.
thks

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Wow ... that's interesting. I can take it if it were for a daily beach visit, but once a week becoming boredom ... I didn't expect.
Is this common for the expats ? I mean, to leave the beach for other quiet places.
thks

I haven't been to the beach in years. I did when I was new here but over time you get involved, get busy doing things. And other than a good book I never found my intellectual stimulation coming from the beach so...........but I do drive past it often on my way to somewhere :).

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I only go to the beach if I have visitors. I try to stay out of the sun as well. Just too busy doing other things, and who wants to end up like a wrinkled old prune????

Matilda

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I live 100 meters from the beach & at times won't see the ocean for a week or more. But, when I do head out there for a walk or to have lunch at a beachfront restaurant... I'm still amazed by how beautiful & relaxing it can be.

However, I have been out there for an hour or two each day for the last week watching a friend learn to kitesurf. :cool:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Due to my job, I see the ocean every single day. But I only go to the beach when my family comes down to visit or if a group of friends organize it. Love to look at the ocean though, that I'll never get tired of!

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Yeah, I agree with most of you guys. I think the last time I was at the beach, actually in the sand, etc. was late last summer. And even then I never got in the ocean. I tend to only go to the beach when I have a visitor (my sister is coming on the 18th; guess I'd better search out a swimsuit). Other than that, I DO love to look at the ocean as I'm driving or on the malecon. And right now, I'm getting enough sun just walking the dog every day around the neighborhood. No, not getting old, just older and wiser.

andrewc52002

Feb 6, 2007
hmmm ... So, "living in the sun" is more of a "living in the shadow, in a quiet place".
I got it. But, it's true: you don't have shadow without the sun.