Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Making the move!!!!

Hi all!!!
    I am in the final stages of my move to the Dominican Republic!! If all gets wrapped up (without any snags) I'll be there mid June, if not, mid July is the latest!!! I'll be located somewhere between Sousa and Rio San Jaun. I have good friends there who are helping out with that part, thank god!!!

I've planned to stay for a year or so, but my eldest son says once I'm there I'l probably never return to the cold winters of Canada. I think he's on to something!!! HEHEHE

I've been lurking here for awhile, occassionaly making a reply, and want to thank the creators of the site because these forums provide valuable information.

Thanks to all the regular posters. I hope to meet some of you when I get there.

No this isn't a farewell to DR1, LOL, just want everyone to know that their words and advice are exceptional!!!!! Some posts just plain entertaining LOL.

So I'll see you soon !!!!!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Best of luck to you.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

Thank you! I am looking forward to the move. However there are all the little things to finish up here first that can be a pain. LOL but all worth it.

By the way I always read your posts!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Am going to be moving in the Autumn...hopefully...did you arrange residency and if so, which government department in the capital did you have to contact for papers?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't made arrangements for residency at this point. While there I will do what is needed. Check out the "legal" section here for full details on what is required.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Good Luck to you...I'm moving in August. Maybe we can email and compare adventures!!! I will be in Santiago (well, 45 min. from Santiago)

Post Thanks / Like

Question Wow!

I am new to this site. You are doing what I am hoping to do.

If I might be nosey, are you doing this for love? I recently posted a thread asking if love is real in D.R. and did not get much encouragement.

Do you have any advice for a Montreal girl also thinking of running away from winter?

Post Thanks / Like

Advice:
    Oh there is tons of that here.!!!
    You can run away from winter, if you do it for the right reasons.

One thing would be to stay away from the coast, and partially integrate into a section of the society that does not look for dollars or visas or sex partners for hire.

If you have a skill set that is saleable or is it sellable??, anyway, something you can earn a living with, you can find people of your educational, social and economic level that are not looking for anything. These are people you can associate with.

You will not find them on the beach.

HB

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Advice:
    If you have a skill set that is saleable or is it sellable??, anyway, something you can earn a living with, you can find people of your educational, social and economic level that are not looking for anything. These are people you can associate with.

You will not find them on the beach.

HB
    But we come for the beach !
    I guess you are right, for all the expats I've met last March in Sosua had no tan at all. I didn't ask why, but it just came to my mind now. They don't go to the beach, that's for sure.
    Any thought on that ?
    Last edited by andrewc52002; 04-10-2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hillbilly:

I have a skillset that I hope to be able to put to good use. I am a drug and alcohol counsellor, an educational therapist, social worker, and I've dabbled in Real Estate for 20 yrs. I hope with all that experience I'll find something to do.

I'm fortunate enough to have a small income which provides me the opportunity to move, improve my Spanish, get involved with community and find a job.

Although I love the beach, that is not the one and only draw to the Dominican Republic. IF it were I am sure I'd get bored very soon.

I am also fortunate to have friends both Dominican and Expats and of course all of the DR1 community.

Even while there I will be a regular "hunter of information" on this site.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast