Pico Duarte - level of difficulty; weather in May

ylam25

Apr 6, 2008
Hi,
My boyfriend and I plan on hiking Pico Duarte in May.

1. Many websites I've visited describe the trek as "difficult", or for experts. Could someone please explain what this means for a city girl that's not so hardy?

2. Will weather in May pose any potential problems here, or across the country?

Any other comments or tips for DR are most welcome!
Many thanks,
Y.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Well it will certainly be getting up there temperature-wise so I guess you guys would want to try and make an early start.

I have only ascended in a vehicle so cant comment on the "diffulty" perspective.

Good luck.

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
When are you going!? I would love to join you!!

Umm as far as the difficulty, there are many routes available, so it varies... but I know some city girls/boys who made it up and down with no major trouble.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
There is no access to vechicles. Only mules can make it up. If you can go up 6 flights of stairs non-stop, you can probably do the Pico Duarte ascent half way. You will need a mule for the other half up, and probably you will want to ride the mule on the way down. Bring proven hiking shoes. This is serious hiking. Best to go with an operation that regularly makes the hike. Such as Rancho Baiguate. It is worth it.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well it will certainly be getting up there temperature-wise so I guess you guys would want to try and make an early start.

I have only ascended in a vehicle so cant comment on the "difficulty" perspective.

Good luck.
A helicopter?
Or maybe you're talking about some other place.
I'd love to go up there, but until they allow me to drive up, it ain't gonna happen.
Hiking up a mountain for 1 day plus is no longer my idea of fun.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
A helicopter?
Or maybe you're talking about some other place.
I'd love to go up there, but until they allow me to drive up, it ain't gonna happen.
Hiking up a mountain for 1 day plus is no longer my idea of fun.

It was an excursion back in 2001...not in my private vehicle.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I thought it was strictly forbidden, but if you have a connection, please let me know.
I'd love to do it the lazy way, as that's the only way that I'll ever get to see it.

I know the company was Coco tours ...??Outback Safari from JD or something.

I just sipped my first java of the day...is my mind that screwy??;)

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Hmmmmmm.
Let's see now.
D R LOCA. :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

Anything is possible when it comes to my senility!!!

I just went to their website to see if I could find any evidence lol....nothing specific...and I dont remember it being a custom-designed tour;)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Anything is possible when it comes to my senility!!!

I just went to their website to see if I could find any evidence lol....nothing specific...and I dont remember it being a custom-designed tour;)
The mind is always the first thing to go......

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I can recommend Camping Tours for well organized trips up the mountain.
They have a website.

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Duarte on the cheap

Does anybody know if a guide can be rented and how much they cost?

Also, how long would it take for a couple of relativley young, fit guys? I would be bringing all of my own hiking equipment.

Thanks

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

Also, how long would it take for a couple of relativley young, fit guys? I would be bringing all of my own hiking equipment.

Thanks
You can hire guides, right there at the base of the mountain, rather than buy a tour, but I don't know how much, and it's usually a 3 day adventure.
Bringing a tent along may be a good idea, as the shacks/camps are said to be rat infested.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Thanks

Not exactly the cheapest way but it is an option and they are a well run company.

RANCHO BAIGUATE - The Adventure Center in Jarabacoa, Dominican Republic - River Rafting, Canyoning, Pico Duarte Tour, Horesback Riding with summer camp and lodging.

Since you probably won't need the lodging the rate should be less.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You know, a couple of guys posted on these boards last year, I think, about doing Duarte on the cheap, and their report was really interesting...might look it up...

HB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Thanks

Contact TimH that is a DR1 member. He lives in Jarabacoa and has a bed& breakfast. He has a number of contacts.