Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default intentional communities

I have a friend that was wondering if there are any rural intentional communities in the DR

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidrudacille View Post
    I have a friend that was wondering if there are any rural intentional communities in the DR
    Well, you can tell your friend that most rural communities in the DR are completely, I mean quite totally, unintentional. At very best they were started with the attitude of "It seemed like a good idea at the time", when a couple of emancipated and/or emaciated cane cutters arrived in this dried-up river bed, set up their temporary cardboard and corrugated tin shack, and moved inside with their 11 kids, 2 chickens, 1 goat and shared pig. They did quite well until it rained somewhere upriver and the shack, kids, chickens, goat and half a pig got washed away in the ensuing deluge. So they went off aways and tried somewhere else, got washed away again and came back to the first place and brought their in-laws with them for another temporary settlement until it rained again.

Cut and paste the above paragraph into the reply window about eleventeen times and you and your friend won't be any the wiser, nor will any others and me neither.

Closing thought........did, by any chance, your friend mean "international".............??

John Evans

im sure jarabacoa has plenty of international people....is that any help...its the best answer i could come up with

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Depending on your meaning of international, yes Jarabacoa has a number of recent newcomers from Spain, Germany, Colombia, Mexico...etc.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

People, please read! And if you have no idea what the op is talking about, refrain from answering. And if you still do not know, try Google. (You may notice that I'm cleaning up a little in the Living forum!)

davidrudacille, as far as I know and I'm almost 100% certain, there are no intentional communties, rural or otherwise in the DR. This is according to the true meaning of the word, using Findhorn as example?.

There are a few church groups who may have something approximating an intentional community, but very focused on a specific religion.

I've been advertising on various boards for a number of years to find out whether there are interested people. Some years ago a group wanted to start but they found out there could be mosquitos in the tropics and they went elsewhere. About three years ago some meditation school out of Europe wanted to start something on the North Coast but never got anything off the ground.

Please feel free to send me a private mail to discuss any other questions you may have.
    Last edited by Chris; 04-06-2008 at 07:59 PM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I know one group from Europe that bought land in Sosua back into the hills with the idea of an intentional community, 2006/2007 time, but I dont think it went further, although I havent been up there since. As far as I can remember they were from Norway

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidrudacille View Post
    Like branch davidian or fundamental Mormans?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob, those are not intentional communities - I have a feeling that you know it. Intentional communities are for example ..
    religious based - The 12 Tribes Community,
    secular based - Twin Oaks,
    An Israeli Kibbutz could be classified as an intentional community.

There are 3,000 to 4,000 intentional communities in the United States. The Fellowship for Intentional Community (2000) has data which include the names and addresses of over 600 North American intentional communities and over 100 intentional communities on other continents.

Yes, Ladybird, it is the group from Norway that I was thinking about.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Yes, Ladybird, it is the group from Norway that I was thinking about.
    I think possibly JDSauser has some more recent info on that group.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks you all, I think she was thinking of what used to be called a commune. A group of people buying a large parcel and creating a farm/small village. With the people working together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast