intentional communities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
I have a friend that was wondering if there are any rural intentional communities in the DR

Well, you can tell your friend that most rural communities in the DR are completely, I mean quite totally, unintentional. At very best they were started with the attitude of "It seemed like a good idea at the time", when a couple of emancipated and/or emaciated cane cutters arrived in this dried-up river bed, set up their temporary cardboard and corrugated tin shack, and moved inside with their 11 kids, 2 chickens, 1 goat and shared pig. They did quite well until it rained somewhere upriver and the shack, kids, chickens, goat and half a pig got washed away in the ensuing deluge. So they went off aways and tried somewhere else, got washed away again and came back to the first place and brought their in-laws with them for another temporary settlement until it rained again.

Cut and paste the above paragraph into the reply window about eleventeen times and you and your friend won't be any the wiser, nor will any others and me neither.

Closing thought........did, by any chance, your friend mean "international".............??

J

John Evans

im sure jarabacoa has plenty of international people....is that any help...its the best answer i could come up with

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Depending on your meaning of international, yes Jarabacoa has a number of recent newcomers from Spain, Germany, Colombia, Mexico...etc.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
People, please read! And if you have no idea what the op is talking about, refrain from answering. And if you still do not know, try Google. (You may notice that I'm cleaning up a little in the Living forum!)

davidrudacille, as far as I know and I'm almost 100% certain, there are no intentional communties, rural or otherwise in the DR. This is according to the true meaning of the word, using Findhorn as example?.

There are a few church groups who may have something approximating an intentional community, but very focused on a specific religion.

I've been advertising on various boards for a number of years to find out whether there are interested people. Some years ago a group wanted to start but they found out there could be mosquitos in the tropics and they went elsewhere. About three years ago some meditation school out of Europe wanted to start something on the North Coast but never got anything off the ground.

Please feel free to send me a private mail to discuss any other questions you may have.

Last edited:

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
I know one group from Europe that bought land in Sosua back into the hills with the idea of an intentional community, 2006/2007 time, but I dont think it went further, although I havent been up there since. As far as I can remember they were from Norway

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Bob, those are not intentional communities - I have a feeling that you know it. Intentional communities are for example ..
religious based - The 12 Tribes Community,
secular based - Twin Oaks,
An Israeli Kibbutz could be classified as an intentional community.

There are 3,000 to 4,000 intentional communities in the United States. The Fellowship for Intentional Community (2000) has data which include the names and addresses of over 600 North American intentional communities and over 100 intentional communities on other continents.

Yes, Ladybird, it is the group from Norway that I was thinking about.

Dec 25, 2007
Thanks you all, I think she was thinking of what used to be called a commune. A group of people buying a large parcel and creating a farm/small village. With the people working together.

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
How about the group in Mulata 3? Dr Brunkt (sp?), isn't theirs a religious based community...

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I think it would help if the OP told us what he meens by International Community.

He means Intentional and not International Community.
He did tell us what he means by Intentional Community.

Thanks you all, I think she was thinking of what used to be called a commune. A group of people buying a large parcel and creating a farm/small village. With the people working together.

And I gave you two examples of Intentional Communities.

(I think I'm going to join a commune .. )

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Maybe the YFZ Ranch folks should relocate here, now that the FBI and others broke up their intentional community in Texas.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Some of you really show your ignorance. I'm going to let it stand for whoever comes after us to contemplate. ;)
You refer to 'cults' - manipulative, authoritarian groups with beliefs that enslave and threaten people, restricting personal will and freedom.
Intentional communities for the most part enhance personal growth, grow good food and <cite></cite>don't threaten anyone. I'm bouncing between two of these now.
This thread is closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.