Paying for Cable/Internet

S

sylvia

I recently had installed Internet via De Lancer Cable Company in Sosua.

Just received the bill which quoted RD$51 ! (instead of US$51) so I took RD$51 to pay them... and they told me they want US$51... I could not understand why they cannot make the bill for the equivalent of US$51 in Pesos.

Any suggestions please ?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002

Just received the bill which quoted RD$51 ! (instead of US$51) so I took RD$51 to pay them... and they told me they want US$51... I could not understand why they cannot make the bill for the equivalent of US$51 in Pesos.

Any suggestions please ?

As a lot of their expenses, so I was told, have to be paid in US$, they prefer US$. They will (Have for me on several occasions) take Pesos but will charge you the rate they pay to buy US$. As for the bill, what's the difference?

ace

Apr 11, 2004

Any suggestions please ?

Sorry to be off topic but are you able to have internet without a phone line installed. If so what is the monthly cost for the internet. I have cable from the company in La Union.I don't need to have a phone installed, I just want my own internet line.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
It's my understanding so long as you have Cable Atlantico for your cable provider, you can have internet from them as well. It does not require a phone, it's directly hooked into the cable connection. They have choices for monthly charges depending on the speed.

I paid US$150 to initiate the installation and then chose the middle speed and paid US$53 (I think) per month.

I don't live year round in the DR so the good news was that I could call up and have them pick up the modem, suspend service, at no charge and when I return, they deliver the modem to me for a US$20 charge and then I just pay monthly for as long as I'm there. I live in Sosua and had great service but I don't download music or a lot of graphics, which some people had problems with.

Hope this is helpful.

Ro

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Sorry to be off topic but are you able to have internet without a phone line installed. If so what is the monthly cost for the internet. I have cable from the company in La Union.I don't need to have a phone installed, I just want my own internet line.
As Drro said, no phone line is needed but I'm not sure internet is available in La Union. Give your cable provider a call and ask if it is. Great service here in Sosua. "Most of the time"

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Yes if they just could give uss a little bit more speed soon. They have said for a long time now that they will soon provide 1mb and 2 mb, but it's delayed and delayed. It would not been that bad if I just could get the 512 kb that I'm paying for.

Grandma Jen

Jan 16, 2008
De Lancer

To avoid problems with De Lancer I always pay exactly on time - sometimes not even waiting for the monthly bill - my neighbour tried to explain that he would pay at the office as he did not keep money at the house and the delivery man thought he was refusing to pay so they got cut off - then got charged a large amount to re-connect
I personally have not had problems but it is always good to be careful especially with the Language barrier

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
What I find interesting is that I have to go to Delancer to pay for my cable and that is paid in pesos; but they come to the house to collect for the internet and that they want in US dollars. I was at Delancer today and bumped into my internet guy who comes to collect.

Is it that there are two different companies involved? One for cable and one for internet?

Aug 21, 2007
Believe it or not, cable (DeLancer) is Comcast. Even their customer service is the same. I got the same call from a call center after I was connected. They are doing something right here in the DR.

Aug 21, 2007
Just to clarify....televison cable is NOT Comcast. Internet cable IS. Sorry for any mis-stating or confusion I might have caused.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am SOOoooconfused now...I need a drink!

tambo'

Last edited:

goodvin

Jul 23, 2007

Any suggestions please ?

May be they just want to pay the tax on RD$51, but not on US$51.