Dominican Remedies

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
I've been looking at some Dominican remedies and find some of them just outright odd. But I'd like to hear some other examples of funky things you have seen in the DR to cure certain ailments. Home remedies are usually very odd and not all of them are proven to work though I'd like to hear what some of you have to say.

Here are some examples I've run across recently.

Toothpaste to cure pimples,
Toothpaste to cure earaches
Beer as a sun tan lotion
Honey and onions for colds

What else have you guys heard of or tried.

Mr. Lu

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
One always used in my family is Honey with Onions. They make a sirup out of it and it's supposed to be good for a cold.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
One always used in my family is Honey with Onions. They make a sirup out of it and it's supposed to be good for a cold.

But nasty!!!

I used to hide under the bed when my mom wanted to give me.

Funny, she gave it to us everyday, sick or not.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
My wife is big on making teas for stuff. Three of the many that I know actually work are ginger tea for congestion (better than Afrin!) and anise or oregano teas to soothe upset stomachs.

Also, when the kids get sore throats, she makes a concoction of lemon and honey that she makes them gargle with. Seems to help, although I am not sure how much that is the power of suggestion...

For nearly everything else, she pulls out the menthol! LOL

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Ah, the menthol....

For nearly everything else, she pulls out the menthol! LOL

I shall never forget the sight of my Dominican friend putting menthol on the too tight foreskin of her little boys willie. It made me cringe and him howl!
Is there nothing they wont use the stuff on?

Toothpaste for zits is a remedy here in the UK as well.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I shall never forget the sight of my Dominican friend putting menthol on the too tight foreskin of her little boys willie. It made me cringe and him howl!

We get ours snipped over on this side of the pond mate!
(I think we even had a huge party, but I was too young to remember)

tambo'

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
First time I heard of this.............

I was in the DR when this happened, but I am not sure if it a DR cure, a friend stood on a sea urchin and the locals said the best cure is to pee on it!! She said it was itchy and painful so she had her hubby pee on the mark and all was well. :cheeky:

Last edited:

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I always try home remedies, they often work.

I tried two of those remedies. I had a pimple on my face the day I arrived in the DR and I put a liberal application of toothpaste on it about the size of a large coin and went to bed. The next day I had this screaming red raw patch just to the left of my mouth like someone applied a hot iron to it or I just had a chemical dermabrasion. It became all dry and crackly, and finally peeled. It was really fun trying to conceal that let me tell you! I think the idea is that you use a very small dab.

The onions and honey, I’ve tried a variation with onions and brown sugar. Drink the syrup that forms after a couple hours and this will stop nighttime coughing. That truly works but I heard it first from a Macedonian woman.

Urine on itchy stings and bites could work (like ammonia and vinegar) depending on the amount of urea in the urine.

I had a sore throat at one point and went out and bought a bottle of mouthwash – Aspergol or Stringerol a name like that. The cheapest Dominican stuff I could find shunning all the NA brands. I just about died, it was like gargling with turpentine and alcohol. Maybe it was menthol? Warm water and salt would have worked just fine, that's what I normally use. Do they gargle with salty water in the DR?

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
Interesting things I have seen-

Body wash or shampoo lathered on arms, legs, neck in the evening as a natural mosquito repellent ...I've tried it and it seems to work.

Tomato, sliced in half and rubbed on a kid's head to spead up the re-growth of hair ...on one kid it seemed to work, on the other the bald spot is still there.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
this is kinda disgusting but, i once saw a cousin get a piece of garlic inserted up his rectum by his mom. this was supposedly to bring down his fever. not sure if any others have heard of this in the d.r.

another one - bathe the child in urine to bring down the fever. i remember people would go around collecting urine everytime a child had extremely high fever.

lili4ever

Jan 22, 2008
my mom soaked me in baking soda when i had the chicken pox...

Does anyone know if camphor is available in DR?

This is my best remedy for colds, caughs, bronchitis, stuffy nose, asthma...?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I once had a girlfriend that used to put Extra Virgin Olive Oil in her hair. I really do not know why. She did have beautiful hair though.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Now sold in adult stores

Well Mom knows best as they now sell this stuff as a sensual enhancer for $15.00 a small jar.
JOHN

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I once had a girlfriend that used to put Extra Virgin Olive Oil in her hair. I really do not know why. She did have beautiful hair though.

Couple a thousand years old. Used in the Mediterrean. Used on my head as child(Italian). Now sold widely as a hair product for women for big$$$$.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
My grandma use to put chicken caca on her youngest daughter's nails, so that she would not bite them.

One thing that does work to stop blood from coming out when you get a cut or pop a pimple is to put sugar and salt.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
Hola a todos.

I had a fungal toenail infection for the last 15 years or so. The medication my doctor prescribed was working (I was already growing a new nail) but it was recalled, and it scared me to learn that all those pills for the treatment of nail fungus are a risk to the liver. For years I tried several over-the-counter medications to no avail. When I went to the DR last summer, a cousin of mine boiled eucaliptus tree bark twice a day for me to dip my foot in that hot tea. I now have a new nail.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
don't you know that menthol is the cure for everything? :cheeky:

I can't believe no one else has mentioned bis bapo ru!!! The cure-all, I've seen it for sore throats of course, but as well for sore muscles, bruises, and zits.

The other cure-all is breast milk. Anything a baby has can apparently be cured with it. I am a strong supporter of breast-fed babies, but sometimes one has to draw the line. Like putting it in their eyes to cure an infection. But what do I know...