"dating " in the DR...

mamielizabeth

Feb 9, 2008
What is the dating process like in the DR...??? When does a guy asks a girl on a date ,what do they typically do? and how do you say "date"????

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Between Dominicans? You are not asking about tourists and Dominicans, right?.

mamielizabeth

Feb 9, 2008
Well i was just asking in general,, something that popped in my head today,,but yes how bout between Dominicans.....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It depends a lot on the family and how they were raised. Some kids are into sex at terribly young ages, having been exposed to sex since birth, since they might sleep in the same bed as the parents or next to the parents. Besides that there is a culture of sex, and the current musical trends seem to reflect a lot of easy sex. One says "Your parents don't like me so lets do sex on the telephone!"

However, among the upper middle and upper classes it is somewhat more formal. Oh they "do it" alright, but with a bit more protocol. Usually there is a period of courtship where chaperones are involved until a "noviazgo" is conceded. A 'noviazgo' really close to being engaged, but not quite. That move is the 'compromiso' and things are now formalized, dates and invitations are nearly on the horizon.

Do kids or young adults have sex while dating? Yes, and we have thousands of unwanted pregnancies each year, many with the attending abortions. Among the poorer classes, in Santiago for example, we had over 2500 births to mothers between the ages of 11 and 18 last year, and those are just the formal figures...

Most young adults go out in groups for their fun...only more formalized relationships are seen out alone.

HB

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Responses like that, ladies and gents, is one of the reasons why Hillbilly is tha man!

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Yuppers....................

Responses like that, ladies and gents, is one of the reasons why Hillbilly is tha man!

I agree. Said it many times before. HB and one or 2 others can leave a response that let's the OP and others know that there is respect and dignity in the DR. ;)

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
HillBilly needs to write a book, "Dominican Republic for Dummies". this is not calling the OP a dummy but my response to HB's posts....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks guys.

I should have added that there is a lot, and I do mean a lot of sex going on. For goodness sakes, just look at the number of Motels around the country. And it seems to be a "growth" industry! (Sorry, I just could not resist that opportunity.)
But seriously, as long as there are some controls on pregnancy, sex seems to flow pretty freely. One person I knew had his girlfriend taken to the doctors each month to have an injection. No pills, no condoms, no ooops! She was his "novia", a stage at which sex is pretty much taken for granted in many cases.

HB

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
I wish

I wish I had half the knowledge HB does!!! hmmmmm maybe a brain transplant........
Keep up the great replies !!!!!!! I learn so much!!!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I think is the same everywhere... The 'tone' of the relationship is set early on. And if one doesnt agree in the way things are going (i.e. sex only, friends only, future?) then one must either speak up or let it go... I think the tone is set after a few dates or so.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Oh, was I supposed to also praise HB in this thread?

Hillbilly, we love you here in Jersey!!

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
I can't image a sex only relationship, how does one put emotions and feelings aside!! i could never do it!

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
This is true...

Very common now to have friends with benefits.

This is true in some countries and in the DR this is gaining traction, but I would say that here in the DR girls would want some type of "commitment" from the guy before they engage in sexual activity. Does he have to promise to marry the girl? No, but calling the girl at 2:00 am for a Cabana run is still not the "norm." It happens, but not at the rate it would happen in other countries.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
As a foreigner who lives in the DR and has until recently been dating - I will add my 2 pesos.

From my experience there is no understanding of the concept of "dating" as defined from a North American perspective. It is you like me, I like you, what is stopping us from hopping into bed??? There is an expectation of sex. Now is that because one party is a foreigner? Possibly but not likely.

I've seen a lot in my time here. And for the most part sex seems to be an expectation. I've not been exposed to the workings of the "high" class in terms of relationships but I have dated men from Santiago and Santo Domingo, well educated and cultured and darn if they didn't expect the same thing!

Also from my experience, they functionally don't understand the concept of dating either. You know, talk, get to know each other, spend time together...... it goes from I like you ...... to ....... we are in a relationship.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Also from my experience, they functionally don't understand the concept of dating either. You know, talk, get to know each other, spend time together...... it goes from I like you ...... to ....... we are in a relationship.

This doesnt sound so bad to me, it's the dating game i dont like....i feel pretty confident saying i know after the first date if the relationship will be a success or a flop...

Do the relationships end on the same note? i dont like you anymore it's over?