Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question A question for all the Expat's........

I have said in a few post's before that at this time I cannot live 24/7 in the DR but when I do I have a few plan's on how I can give back to the country I have chosen to be in. I have a medical certification behind me which allows me,( and for the past 12 years), to give assistance to the less fortunate, as well as connections,( out of the DR), who give me $$$ and supplies to distribute whilst I am there. My question at this time is to the expat's who reside in the DR is what do you do to give back to this country and what do you think is really needed now? I ask this as some with different degrees etc. who post here say they work/assist with the needy yet I find that some still are in the DR to live a life that they could not in their "own " country, but yet look down on or just really do not care about what is now their country. No offense to anyone but I just really would like to know. Have a great day.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm an expat who currently lives in Santiago for familial reasons. At some point when I have everything paid for, more or less, I think I will teach at the local university. I'm an engineer but would love to teach history as well - we'll see.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leekiv View Post
    My question at this time is to the expat's who reside in the DR is what do you do to give back to this country and what do you think is really needed now? I ask this as some with different degrees etc. who post here say they work/assist with the needy yet I find that some still are in the DR to live a life that they could not in their "own " country, but yet look down on or just really do not care about what is now their country.
    My guess is that those who really 'do' will be reluctant to answer for fear of blowing their own trumpets, seeking recognition etc. But I think if you scour through posts on other topics people will have mentioned it in passing so there will be insights there. Those who 'do' know who each other are, those who 'don't' probably don't............if I haven't confused you utterly As to what is needed: time, interest, money, goods, skills to transmit, willingness to transmit them & learn from the person to whom they are being transmitted in an equal partnership, consciousness raising, help with community organisation etc etc. Every expat has something they could offer.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Thanks Lambada and Chip

I agree with you Lambada that every expat has something to offer. I am aware that some expats are/where involved in community ,( I am also sure that many who do, are silent), and will more than likely keep it that way.

The reason I brought this up was a short time ago there was a thread that went into this topic but no one continued posting when the idea was broached about perhaps maybe we could start "helping" even just one family to read etc. I wish I could recall the name of that thread. Anyway I thought I would revisit it and see if anyone was/is still game. As I do not live there yet 24/7 I can contribute but I am not able yet to be a part of the daily learning . If anyone does think this is still a good idea , maybe we can come up with a plan.

Thanks all and have a super day.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Missing Thread

I wish I could recall the name of that thread. Anyway I thought I would revisit it and see if anyone was/is still game.
    Hi Leekiv

Yes, it was a shame that the thread died off - it was beginning to look promising. Lambada is the one to find it - I am sure she will look when she is back online. I was one of the posters and I liked her idea of a one to one thing, especially with the illiteracy problem.

You have a good day too.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile OK found it.

I found the thread.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/734...ess-money.html

Yes rio illiteracy is a biggie. Maybe we can get a DR1 thing happening.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes rio illiteracy is a biggie. Maybe we can get a DR1 thing happening.
    I will participate if that happens.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool That's great adrianb..........

Quote Originally Posted by adrianb View Post
    I will participate if that happens.
    If more are interested maybe we could start a list ,( as long as the mod's and Robert are ok with this?), as to who wants to help and who can do what.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

If more are interested maybe we could start a list ,( as long as the mod's and Robert are ok with this?), as to who wants to help and who can do what.
    I have a PhD in math.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a thread. Read it. Learn from it. Ask yourself why this one did not work out.
    http://www.dr1.com/forums/environmen...ete-sosua.html
    Once you know why this initiative lost the support of the community, ask me for a few threads more and I'll show a few that gained the support of the community. There is a college degree on the practical issues to help others in the DR1 pages if one knows where to look and willing to learn.

While you doing all this and if you happen to be on the North coast, go and help (and learn from) Dale and Martha. http://www.dr1.com/blogs/?u=barhanna

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast