A question for all the Expat's........

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
I have said in a few post's before that at this time I cannot live 24/7 in the DR but when I do I have a few plan's on how I can give back to the country I have chosen to be in. I have a medical certification behind me which allows me,( and for the past 12 years), to give assistance to the less fortunate, as well as connections,( out of the DR), who give me $$$ and supplies to distribute whilst I am there. My question at this time is to the expat's who reside in the DR is what do you do to give back to this country and what do you think is really needed now? I ask this as some with different degrees etc. who post here say they work/assist with the needy yet I find that some still are in the DR to live a life that they could not in their "own " country, but yet look down on or just really do not care about what is now their country. No offense to anyone but I just really would like to know. Have a great day.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm an expat who currently lives in Santiago for familial reasons. At some point when I have everything paid for, more or less, I think I will teach at the local university. I'm an engineer but would love to teach history as well - we'll see.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
My question at this time is to the expat's who reside in the DR is what do you do to give back to this country and what do you think is really needed now? I ask this as some with different degrees etc. who post here say they work/assist with the needy yet I find that some still are in the DR to live a life that they could not in their "own " country, but yet look down on or just really do not care about what is now their country.

My guess is that those who really 'do' will be reluctant to answer for fear of blowing their own trumpets, seeking recognition etc. But I think if you scour through posts on other topics people will have mentioned it in passing so there will be insights there. Those who 'do' know who each other are, those who 'don't' probably don't............if I haven't confused you utterly :cheeky: As to what is needed: time, interest, money, goods, skills to transmit, willingness to transmit them & learn from the person to whom they are being transmitted in an equal partnership, consciousness raising, help with community organisation etc etc. Every expat has something they could offer.

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Thanks Lambada and Chip

I agree with you Lambada that every expat has something to offer. I am aware that some expats are/where involved in community ,( I am also sure that many who do, are silent), and will more than likely keep it that way.

The reason I brought this up was a short time ago there was a thread that went into this topic but no one continued posting when the idea was broached about perhaps maybe we could start "helping" even just one family to read etc. I wish I could recall the name of that thread. Anyway I thought I would revisit it and see if anyone was/is still game. As I do not live there yet 24/7 I can contribute but I am not able yet to be a part of the daily learning . If anyone does think this is still a good idea , maybe we can come up with a plan.

Thanks all and have a super day.;)

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Missing Thread

I wish I could recall the name of that thread. Anyway I thought I would revisit it and see if anyone was/is still game.
.;)

Hi Leekiv

Yes, it was a shame that the thread died off - it was beginning to look promising. Lambada is the one to find it - I am sure she will look when she is back online. I was one of the posters and I liked her idea of a one to one thing, especially with the illiteracy problem.

You have a good day too.

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
That's great adrianb..........

I will participate if that happens.

If more are interested maybe we could start a list ,( as long as the mod's and Robert are ok with this?), as to who wants to help and who can do what. ;)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Here is a thread. Read it. Learn from it. Ask yourself why this one did not work out.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/environment/57030-trash-solution-cabarete-sosua.html
Once you know why this initiative lost the support of the community, ask me for a few threads more and I'll show a few that gained the support of the community. There is a college degree on the practical issues to help others in the DR1 pages if one knows where to look and willing to learn.

While you doing all this and if you happen to be on the North coast, go and help (and learn from) Dale and Martha. http://www.dr1.com/blogs/?u=barhanna

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
To add .. it is much better to assist an existing organization. There are many of them doing wonderful work and of course some of them doing not so great. I think a list with organizations, what they do and what their volunteer needs are would be fine. You could then perhaps report back here as to what you did and if you feel your efforts are making a difference.

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Ok

To add .. it is much better to assist an existing organization. There are many of them doing wonderful work and of course some of them doing not so great. I think a list with organizations, what they do and what their volunteer needs are would be fine. You could then perhaps report back here as to what you did and if you feel your efforts are making a difference.

I did receive a pm this morning. I am leary of most organizations but if someone knows of ones who are for "real" and has experience with them then I would be willing to help. I do love the DR and feel that if I can assist then I will as I think it is important to give back where I can. Personally when I am living here 24/7 I will take a much more hands on approach. Thank you all.

Have a great day.;)

J

John Evans

perhaps we need a special section in the forums to put volunteer information so its easily accessible....

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I did receive a pm this morning. I am leary of most organizations but if someone knows of ones who are for "real" and has experience with them then I would be willing to help.

Something that I've been wanting to do for a long time, is to compile a list of excellent service and helping organizations in the DR. Groups that our respected and trusted members vouch for. So, leekiv, if I change the tread header of this post to something more suitable, perhaps this could be the first step for you into doing something that may really help?

So, let's get a list together of as many reputable ngo's and similar organizations in the DR for a sticky. I ask that if an organization appears here that other members disagree with, pm me and let's discuss it. But no 'wars' or fighting on this thread!

I add Dale and Martha who work with children in the Puerto Plata area mainly. I'll contact them and ask what their volunteer requirements are and add them here.

Feel free to add the organization that you support. Two of our moderators FireGuy and Hlywud are leaders for Beyond the Beach Children's Foundation. They do not use volunteers but collect money and donate to good organizations.

Two organizations that they donate to but I do not have personal knowledge of:
The Dream Project
and the
Mustard Seed Communities

My mind is mush .. I forget now which poster always writes about Casa Rosada in Santo Domingo? Please add it here again...

So, to repeat the idea of this thread .. Get a list together of reputable service ngo type organizations. (Good reliable third party recommendations) Figure out what they do, i.e, do they support children, women, communities, fresh water or what??? Find their volunteer requirements and list it here so that our members can find out where they can go and help and lend a hand while on vacation.

To make a little interesting .. what should the thread header be? Helping in the DR? Giving is Receiving? Take a day and Donate? Give me some ideas here!

leekiv, you can feel good ... your enquiry is doing something already ;)

Last edited:

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Here is a thread. Read it. Learn from it. Ask yourself why this one did not work out.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/environment/57030-trash-solution-cabarete-sosua.html
Once you know why this initiative lost the support of the community, ask me for a few threads more and I'll show a few that gained the support of the community. There is a college degree on the practical issues to help others in the DR1 pages if one knows where to look and willing to learn.

While you doing all this and if you happen to be on the North coast, go and help (and learn from) Dale and Martha. http://www.dr1.com/blogs/?u=barhanna

Well as a first stab at this I would say that anything that is initiated by the gringo popuation that requires input of their own money is bound to fail. Additionally anything that is seen as a pennace or punishment will never endure.

Voluntary groups and aid organisations come with good intent and lots of enthusiastic liberal thinking mostly middle aged middle class white folks.
The lasting benefits can be a little difficult to see at first as most projects are never funded to last a life time ....just until the founder finds another project. Self created and self financed projects do much better with heaps and heaps of praise from the western media. Almost the same way a parent would encourage a child.......but this can lead to patronism and resentment if handled wrongly.

My guess would be that the solution lies in education about the enviroment firstly and the exposition of the lucrative and financial opportunities in a cleaner island. Imagine if all those Tourist Dollars were more evenly spread around and not just the over inflated North coast.
I am reminded of a saying in Yorkshire England..."Where there's much there's brass"
For non Yorkshire people it means where you find a problem no-one wants there is a lot of money to be made.

CHP (combined Heat and Power) systems have been found to work in some countries burning waste to fuel power generation not Hydro as I saw in one post as this is specifically power from moving water like a river or a dam, but I am not sure there is enough waste in DR yet to make one viable. You will have to wait until the population hits 20 million and the rubbish is at least waist high first.(tongue firmly in cheek)

Skippy1

Last edited:

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
Working with Dale and Marta up in Puerto Plata was mentioned ...I do not know much about their current work other than what is posted on their blog, but I have worked with them in the past and know that they have years of experience in this country and many connections, which is always a primary obstace for getting started in service type work.

I am not an ex-pat but have been working with an organization here for several years and feel that it is very legit. I think education has to be a key part of any project or organization done here ... commitment is also key (after a year I feel I have made a 'dent' in the area I am working).

2 things I think are big time needs here- literacy and basic computer training.

Connecting with a Peace Corp worker might also be a good way to find an area where your time and serves could be of need. The also have a lot of connections and knowledge about programs and services that need help.

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Thanks Chris

I personally like Giving is Receiving, or take a Day and Donate.

Skippy, can we try to keep this positive please.

drmc that is great. I am sure you have made a "dent" No matter how big or small every little bit helps.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I do various bits and pieces, but I just thought I'd let you know the latest plan, as I would be grateful if anyone has any experience of something similar then I could use all the help there is!!!

Juan Dolio doesn't have a church as such unless you count the poles with a tin roof and a pastor who doubles as a dentist (man with pliers) for some of the local Haitian community. Also there is nowhere for the teenagers to go apart from roaming the streets at night.

So, I have managed to acquire a piece of land in Villas del Mar, and I thought we could build a multi- denominational church, together with a hall. The hall could be used for english, spanish, creole, literacy classes, various sports activities - Karate, aerobics, mother and baby classes, youth club whatever. Those who have the skills to offer to teach these things could book the hall. Maybe we could get a doctor to come a couple of times a week for free? Not sure yet how the finances would work - those who could afford it could pay maybe? The money could go into upkeep, or build the hall first and then use the money from that to pay to build the church?

The idea is that it will be somewhere for expats and locals alike.

Anyway, only in thinking stage at the moment, but if anyone has any great ideas or experience of doing the same then please let me know. Especially if a multi-denominational church could work or would the various pastors fight amongst each other, and any thoughts on how to raise the cash!!!

Thanks

Matilda

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
I personally like Giving is Receiving, or take a Day and Donate.

Skippy, can we try to keep this positive please.

drmc that is great. I am sure you have made a "dent" No matter how big or small every little bit helps.

Ok you only want positives........
I think you will see I have some and do in general have a positive view of the world......just sadly DR doesn't quite tick all the boxes yet....I am looking for a bit more from the people themselves......maybe some rich Dominican Benefactors who do not want to continue to rip up the country to build concrete eyesores but communities instead........just my view thats all.
Go to most countries and the hospitals and schools Universities are named after native home grown benefactors but very few are here...WHY?????

I have the utmost admiration for all those who serve and do great works here for the poor and sick.

See its not all bad.....!!!!!!

Skippy1

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Ok you only want positives........
I think you will see I have some and do in general have a positive view of the world......just sadly DR doesn't quite tick all the boxes yet....I am looking for a bit more from the people themselves......maybe some rich Dominican Benefactors who do not want to continue to rip up the country to build concrete eyesores but communities instead........just my view thats all.
Go to most countries and the hospitals and schools Universities are named after native home grown benefactors but very few are here...WHY?????

I have the utmost admiration for all those who serve and do great works here for the poor and sick.

See its not all bad.....!!!!!!

Skippy1

While there may or may not be some truth to this, focusing on why it is this way wont change anything and wont get things moving forward.

I think some excellent points have been made here on this thread so far and any type of contribution no matter how big or small, will ultimately make a difference.

Dale and Marta definately sounds like a wonderful option and look forward to hearing back from Chris, their requirements for volunteering. For me, the kids are where its at and to be able to teach them, nurture them and provide them with some basic skills would be an incredibly rewarding experience.

Two thumbs up leekiv for getting the ball rolling so to speak.

Here is the link for Casa Rosada that Chris had brought up.
La Casa Rosada

Some idea's for a thread header....

"Life is Beautiful", "The future is Now", "Embrace Giving"...just some ideas.