Diesel mechanic - any opportunities you think?

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Please provide your input and your thoughts. I have a friend that is a diesel mechanic. He has mainly worked with really big engines, done it for 20+ years and has had his own business in his home country. He was down here for almost a year (north coast), living on savings. While here was here he fixed some plantas and a diesel jeep for friends. The people were very happy with his work. He borrowed/rented his tools.

Now here is the question.
He would like to move down here but need to work. I told him that he could make a living here, there are people that would like to have a reliable English speaking diesel mechanic, for fixing there plantas...(I am not talking about plantas in car washes, let them wear out... :) ) He is the worrying kind, and he needs to invest around 15 000 US for the tools etc. so he is in doubt. I have another friend that is an electrician and people have appreciated his work and been willing to pay a little extra for a guy that knows the purpose of the green and yellow cable...., and this is one of the reasons why I think that my diesel-mechanic-friend could make a living here.

What do YOU guys think? Your input very much appreciated. If your answer is yes we might have a new expat here...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
FYI: There are lots of diesel mechanics here. Okay.
There are not many that can speak English and are up to the codes and can read the manuals.
If possible, I think I would look at being a foreign hire for some big company that has several standby generators, like a hotel chain, or a major mining operation (Falconbridge or the new people at Pueblo Viejo-Placer Dom, I think). Hilton and Marriott are opening up more and more operations.
I just heard that Carlos Slim Helu (Yes, THAT Carlos Slim) has purchased like, oh, I don't know, maybe 20 kilometers of beaches up near Miches. And that whole area is booming.
I would get something in hand before taking the leap.

Hope it works.

HB

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
FYI: There are lots of diesel mechanics here. Okay.
There are not many that can speak English and are up to the codes and can read the manuals.

This was my thinking... big companies hmmm My thinking was more that he might be able to work for people with nice house. People that are willing to pay a little extra to ensure that the motor does not blow up and destroy the house...What are your thoughts about that?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I would welcome and willing to pay more for a qualified mechanic that:

Can read and understand the manuals and not just the pictures.
That will listen and work with me.
That will tell me that he does not know something BUT will contact the manufacturer and get the answers.
That has to proper tools and equipment and not take mine.
That leaves the generator and room in better condition then they found it.
Understands preventative maintainance.
Does not cut corners with cheap and improper "fixes".

Knowledge of inverters and other electrical systems and intigration a big plus.

Good luck, Ringo

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I would welcome and willing to pay more for a qualified mechanic that:

Can read and understand the manuals and not just the pictures.
That will listen and work with me.
That will tell me that he does not know something BUT will contact the manufacturer and get the answers.
That has to proper tools and equipment and not take mine.
That leaves the generator and room in better condition then they found it.
Understands preventative maintainance.
Does not cut corners with cheap and improper "fixes".

Knowledge of inverters and other electrical systems and intigration a big plus.

Good luck, Ringo

Ringo, thank you for your input, encouraging! This is my thinking also, for me is not the diesel plantas, but I am kind of tired of the cut corners..., I mean a guy welded my chain for my motorbike (he said he replaced it). It lasted 2 km, another guy "fixed" some minor electronic problem on my car, cut corner, connected it to the power of other electronics which ****ed up way more expensive electronics...

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
If he is good and honest, he will have no problem. He will have people waiting in line for him. All he will need is to get the word out and have a couple of recomendations. If he's that goods he can work on my car. Tell him to come to the North Coast. I live in Cabarete.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
In Demand

.... I told him that he could make a living here, there are people that would like to have a reliable English speaking diesel mechanic, for fixing there plantas...

I think, you're right.
Your friend woud have his pickup truck, loaded with his tools, ready and willing to travel almost all over the country.
If is he is as good and experienced as you say he is, the word will spread quickly and he'll be successful.
Good and reliable diesel mechanics are in demand and I know that people have them come all the way from SD (to Saman?) to repair their diesel plantas.

Very likely that I'll be his customer, too.

mountainfrog

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
He will find work easily if he is used to working on big CAT, Cummins, Detroit type equipment. For example, I know a diesel mechanic/expert guy that flew down to POP last week from the states to work on a ship engine because there was not capable "local talent" for the particular job necessary. 2 week assignment. Good money. Excellent diesel mechanics can always make a good living in the DR... will need to get his "name, reputation, and tel. # " out there and word will spread.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
In the interior of the country anybody that can't speak passable Spanish is like a fish out of water and will make their marketability and wage negotiations more difficult. It may be different in SD or the coastal areas. Nonetheless, we had a DR1'er here for a while who was able to get by working as a mechanic.

If I were this guy I would work as an independent contractor and start networking. It would be a good idea to get his cv together with all of his certifications. If the fellow had an existing full time job here in the DR it might also be good to put his salary history as Dominicans seem averse to hiring gringos as they are intimidated by the wages they've earned.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
This was a 3 year old thread resurrected by a spammer who is now gone. Would be interesting to know if the guy did relocate to the DR and become successful as a diesel mechanic though...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This was a 3 year old thread resurrected by a spammer who is now gone. Would be interesting to know if the guy did relocate to the DR and become successful as a diesel mechanic though...

I would like to know too, it's nice to hear of success stories here.

bigdogmack

May 7, 2012
im a deisel mechanic in nj lookin to move to dr when i was there i was in santo domingo on maxima gomez an rt 27 i notice a couple of truck companys how is the pay for experinced tractor/trailer an dump an heavy equipment deisel mechanic

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Lister

Really good mechanics here are extremely hard to find...

True, but they are out there.
I found a very good engineer (also speaks English) in SD, whom I regard reliable and honest.
In his yard I encounter this beauty (unfortunately not for sale):

2vjqweu.jpg

:bunny:

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Sparkling Lister

If he was REALLY good, that puppy would be restored!!!!!

He IS good.
The Lister is overhauled and running (and actually supplies the electricity of the shop).

But I agree, if I could get my hands on it, you'd need sunglasses to look at it... :cool:
Maybe I have the time he hasn't.

donP