Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Strike Tomorrow?

Anyone know if there is to be a national strike (huelga) tomorrow (wednesday)? I heard news of this last week, but haven't heard anything since.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

From todays DR1 News
    FSA calls for strike
    The Alternative Social Forum (FSA) has called for a 24-hour national strike beginning at 6am on Wednesday. The FSA is calling the strike to put pressure on the government into giving workers a 40% wage increase, reductions in food, medicine and energy prices, as well as a modification of fuel legislation. The FSA is also calling for large-scale agrarian reform.
    Fidel Santana, speaking on behalf of the FSA strike committee, said that only President Leonel Fernandez could stop the strike.
    Metropolitan Transport Authority (OMSA) director Ignacio Ditren reassured public transport passengers that their services would not be interrupted and the FENATRADO transport union has come out against the FSA's call for a strike, saying that their services would run normally tomorrow.
    The Private Business Council (CONEP) and the Santiago Business and Industrialists Association (ACIS) have also rejected the need for the strike. CONEP president Lisandro Macarulla said that while he respected the FSA's right to fight for a cause they think is right, a strike should only take place when all other options or negotiations have been exhausted, which is not the case.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, it seems to be on, albeit with mixed support. Chirimoyito has already decided that there's no school tomorrow, anyway.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

My sons tell me they will not have a day off from school tomorrow. They tell me the Ministry of Education instructed private schools to ignore the strike.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

apparently there will be strike but i still have to work. unless i decide to burn some tyres instead...
    i bet that all the people who go on strike to get "reductions in energy prices" don't pay their bills anyways...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

at the time of my post the DR1 news had not been updated ...this evening I was able to see the latest news on the strike ...still, thank you for those who posted and answered my question.

I was also wondering about the strike in relation to whether school will be a go ... I am hearing that public schools here will be in session.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

miesposo said his plant will be opened but no uniforms tomorrow and no trucks on the road - in any case by trucks he means brugal MACKS with barrels of ron, a natural molotov coctail material if i've ever seen one, so it's better that way!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Any new news on the huelga?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default N. Coast

Most of the bridges, even the little ones, from Puerto Plata to Cabarete will supposedly be manned with armed military personnel to avoid any major upheavles, not to say a a tire or two will not be burned. Politicians pay folks to be unruly as many know. Most are not dangerous.
    Travelers to POP should be fine to and fro to their hotels or other destinations. Cannot say about other places in the country.
    The whole thing seems to have lost some steam, but .....be cautious.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw on tv that the strike DOES start at 6? true/false

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast