Strike Tomorrow?

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
Anyone know if there is to be a national strike (huelga) tomorrow (wednesday)? I heard news of this last week, but haven't heard anything since.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
From todays DR1 News
FSA calls for strike
The Alternative Social Forum (FSA) has called for a 24-hour national strike beginning at 6am on Wednesday. The FSA is calling the strike to put pressure on the government into giving workers a 40% wage increase, reductions in food, medicine and energy prices, as well as a modification of fuel legislation. The FSA is also calling for large-scale agrarian reform.
Fidel Santana, speaking on behalf of the FSA strike committee, said that only President Leonel Fernandez could stop the strike.
Metropolitan Transport Authority (OMSA) director Ignacio Ditren reassured public transport passengers that their services would not be interrupted and the FENATRADO transport union has come out against the FSA's call for a strike, saying that their services would run normally tomorrow.
The Private Business Council (CONEP) and the Santiago Business and Industrialists Association (ACIS) have also rejected the need for the strike. CONEP president Lisandro Macarulla said that while he respected the FSA's right to fight for a cause they think is right, a strike should only take place when all other options or negotiations have been exhausted, which is not the case.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yup, it seems to be on, albeit with mixed support. Chirimoyito has already decided that there's no school tomorrow, anyway.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
My sons tell me they will not have a day off from school tomorrow. They tell me the Ministry of Education instructed private schools to ignore the strike.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
apparently there will be strike but i still have to work. unless i decide to burn some tyres instead...
i bet that all the people who go on strike to get "reductions in energy prices" don't pay their bills anyways...

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
at the time of my post the DR1 news had not been updated ...this evening I was able to see the latest news on the strike ...still, thank you for those who posted and answered my question.

I was also wondering about the strike in relation to whether school will be a go ... I am hearing that public schools here will be in session.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo said his plant will be opened but no uniforms tomorrow and no trucks on the road - in any case by trucks he means brugal MACKS with barrels of ron, a natural molotov coctail material if i've ever seen one, so it's better that way!

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
N. Coast

Most of the bridges, even the little ones, from Puerto Plata to Cabarete will supposedly be manned with armed military personnel to avoid any major upheavles, not to say a a tire or two will not be burned. Politicians pay folks to be unruly as many know. Most are not dangerous.
Travelers to POP should be fine to and fro to their hotels or other destinations. Cannot say about other places in the country.
The whole thing seems to have lost some steam, but .....be cautious.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Tranquilo

Tranquilo so far this a.m. from Puerto Plata to Sosua. Soldiers visible at many points.

DanaP

May 23, 2007
Guagua's???

Private school in Juan Dolio is closed. anyone know if the guagua's are indeed running and/or I should have any concerns about travelling around today? (Boca Chica, San Pedro, SD etc...) Perfect timing, first job interview this morning......ugh

D

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
My son's school did not open for classes today. My faithful and very reliable cleaning employee did not get to work. Transport must be down to a bare minimum. Elsewise, La Sirena shopping center has lots of cars in its parking lot, and traffic would say is down to weekend level. Should be a good day to get government work done, because of the smaller lines.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
nothing much going on in POP, even the workers on site of future la sirena carry on as usual...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Pretty normal day in Santiago. Classes at PUCMM were not all up to full but plenty of students.

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In the capital it has varied. Traffic was lighter, and according to a journalist friend who went into some barrios populares, everything was dead quiet. Our niece's school was closed, others opened but very few students and not all teachers went in today.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Pics of Carretera Puerta Plata -Imbert/Navarette

So who did you get to hold up the traffic while the pictures were being taken?

Santiago was extremely lite on traffic all day, it was so peaceful driving in the city. Seemed like I was back in the states, no horns blowing for the most part. Except the usual ones, you know, the ones that blow the horn out of habit, even when there is no other traffic or obstacles around.

More like a holiday then a strike. Even the sidewalks were empty.
4hck1t.gif