Wrecked Toyota RAV4 2003

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Any one have any personal experieince buying a car on the North Coast? If so please tell me where. Only interested in used Toyota RAV4's. Oh and the best deal a Gringo can get. thanks in advance Phil

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
TV,
There's a late model white RAV4 in my neighborhood in Cabarete that is for sale by a private party. From appearances, it is in good condition. I don't know who owns it, but I'll write down the phone# next time I see it & send you a PM with the information.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Thanks CFA123, I had hoped to buy from a dealer so I can go back to him should the need arise. thanks again.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
yeah i figured it would be zero to none, therefore wouldnt really matter if you bought used from the dealer or private.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Speak to Marco at Rocky's. He has helped a bunch of DR1 people get good deals on cars and jeeps.

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
All dealers I have dealt with have given me an unconditional 90 day warranty on newly imported cars (get a carfax check done!!!!). On one occasion, I had to call back on a dealer for a part that cost over $US4,500 locally. The dealer honored it. The warranty is something you have to negotiate as part of the price package.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Do yourself a big favor and buy an suv or a pickup with a real chassis, as opposed to a "unibody" chassis, of which I'm pretty certain the RAV has. It may look nice and all of that stuff, but after a handfull of years the body will be so twisted, you can't even align it. A suv with a unibody chassis is nothing more than an overpriced car.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
All dealers I have dealt with have given me an unconditional 90 day warranty on newly imported cars (get a carfax check done!!!!). On one occasion, I had to call back on a dealer for a part that cost over $US4,500 locally. The dealer honored it. The warranty is something you have to negotiate as part of the price package.

Of curiousity, what was that $ 4 500 part ?

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Sturdy Frame

.... after a handfull of years the body will be so twisted, you can't even align it. A suv with a unibody chassis is nothing more than an overpriced car.
Exactly.
Unless you only drive it on good tarmac roads some of the light SUV's (another example is the Daihatsu Terios) are pretty useless when it gets tough.
A sturdy chassis frame will add to your safety and resist corrosion much longer.

m'frog

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
My brother has used RAV4's in his dealership. He can probably also get you any car you need through his dealer contacts. He's just not in the north coast...he's in Cotui. PM me if you want his phone.

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
I assume you meant RD4500, right. US4500 will get you a rebuilt motor and transmission here, easily.

Nope... $US4,500

The dealer put in a new transfer case which he purchased from a Land Rover service center in Miami. LR here wanted $US4,500, the dealer I believe purchased it cheaper in the US. The car is only a year old and sorry.....but I do not want anyone in the DR to pull apart and re-build something. Bad Memories!

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Nope... $US4,500

The dealer put in a new transfer case which he purchased from a Land Rover service center in Miami. LR here wanted $US4,500, the dealer I believe purchased it cheaper in the US. The car is only a year old and sorry.....but I do not want anyone in the DR to pull apart and re-build something. Bad Memories!

Well that explains it a lot better, a new part and not only that, from the most expensive jipeta there is - a Land Rover. Good luck.

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
But to go back to The Virginian. The dealer did honor the warranty....sure he wanted to fix it first locally, but I was paying him for the car over the warranty period :)

50% First payment, 25% 2nd month and 25% at the end of the 3rd month. You always get what you negotiate, but you have to cover your backside.......

Vawner

Feb 7, 2007
Great idea

leehall,
That's a great idea! Don't know where you bought the vehicle, and I'm guessing that dealers are resistant to that type of payment plan, but I'm going to insist on the same sort of deal when I shop for a new car this summer.

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
Vawner - Cash always works!

If you are shopping for a 'new' car, I don't think you have to worry as much, as the franchise owners tend to have been in business for a number of years and are well respected businessmen and the warranty is backed by the manufacturer.