St Jospeh School - Santo Domingo

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Hello - I was wondering if anyone had any information on St Joseph School in Santo Domingo? I could only find a short description of the school on DR1, with phone number and email, but nothing else anywhere online. Does anyone know of anyone who teaches there or has children attending the school? Or anything else about the school and its reputation? Any information would be very useful. Thanks very much!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's quite a nice middle/upper middle range bilingual school in the capital, following a US curriculum + Dominican Ministry of Education requirements. Students are mainly middle/upper middle class, the school is located in a very central part of the city.

I visited it once as a possible school for my son, liked it, but decided against it due to the location relative to our house, and the fact that they took to long to send us the information we asked for. Not to say they were particularly inefficient, just that another comparable school in a slightly more convenient location got back to us first.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Hey

Hello - I was wondering if anyone had any information on St Joseph School in Santo Domingo? I could only find a short description of the school on DR1, with phone number and email, but nothing else anywhere online. Does anyone know of anyone who teaches there or has children attending the school? Or anything else about the school and its reputation? Any information would be very useful. Thanks very much!

I was a teacher at the school for two years, teaching language and phys. Ed. I got tired of teaching younger kids so I gave up my position. I second what Chiri said in terms of the school.

Also note that it has two buildings, one for young kids and one for the older kids. The campuses are very close to each other, only a few blocks away. The second school goes up to the 8th grade, though they will starting a high school program and will eventually go all the way from k-12. The class sizes are small and most the teachers are native English speakers with some of the teachers having English as a second language. Most everyone at the school is bilingual. The school is rather small with a small cafeteria and a small basketball/sports area, but it is a recognized school here in the DR.

They also have after school program options and offer a variety of other activities. As far as reputation, its a good school and could be a good schooling option for a child. Any other questions just ask.

Mr. Lu

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Thank you both very much for the information. My boyfriend is actually looking into a teaching position at the school. The school seems very impressed with him and his qualifications and have basically offered him a position at quite a low wage. I am aware that this is the case in most of the smaller international schools in the DR but we are just trying to choose between a few schools and areas and the moment and really didn't know much about this school to go by. Mr.Lu, perhaps I could PM you with some questions about your teaching experience at the school and also about what you know of the school's beliefs and educational philosophy. Thanks again!