snorkeling in Bayahibe

serbeer

Apr 8, 2008
Folks,
I am staying in Sunscape CDM and was wondering if anyone had experience swimming to Bayahibe coral barrier reef from the shore.

I love to snorkel and the reef is right there in front of my resort if I am not mistaken.

From what I read on the web, it is about 500 yards = 1500 feet = 1/3 mi away from the shore, in very calm water without currents.

I am strong swimmer and it seems should be only 10-15 mins of swimming with fins to get there, which is not big deal for me, so I could swim there daily.

Just wondering if anyone had experience, or knows people who were actually doing it-- or knows something to discourage me from thinking it is realistic.

Thank you!

GringaRubia

Sep 9, 2006
I don't know about the swim, but up the beach..on the "open" beach beyond the CDM there are people who will take you there on a boat. I think CDM may even have their own boat to take you out there. The snorkling is really nice there..have a great time.

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
If you're talking about the bay where the boats head out to Isla Saona & Catalina Island, out in the middle is a really nice clear reef with plenty of fish and coral to see.

The only thing I would warn you against is the many boats that come and go particularly in the morning and late afternoon. Maybe tow a buoy behind you, assuming it doesn't cause too much drag :)

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
If you're staying at Casa del Mar there is a lot of variety in what you can see swimming straight out from the beach with about 4 reef areas right there. This album is all of the snorkeling from the beach, though most pics are with a disposable camera: Snorkeling off the beach at Casa del Mar pictures from diving & snorkeling photos on webshots You can indeed make use of the Gri Gri dive shop on site to take you out snorkeling nearby and to the islands (I visited Catalina Island with them and stopped at the "Wall", pictures at Catalina Island, off La Romana, Dominican Republic pictures from caribbean photos on webshots) , as well as using the dive shops in Bayahibe. I find that most of them promote the diving and not so much the snorkeling, so I was happy to find Seavis Bayahibe who do both. They took me to Catalinita Island in the Catuana Straight where there was a beautiful reef (Snorkeling at Catalinita, Saona and Piscina Natural, Dominican Republic pictures from caribbean photos on webshots), and their stop at Saona Island is at Canton de la Playa where there is another small healthy reef for private snorkeling (Saona Island with Seavis Bayahibe pictures, photos, and videos, from caribbean on webshots).

If heading out away from the near reefs at Casa del Mar, make sure you have a diver's flag or wear something colourful. There can be a good deal of boat traffic. They may respect snorkelers closer to the property, but may not expect you further out.

Kaki

serbeer

Apr 8, 2008
great

Thank you Leehall.
And thanks again for the detailed response Kaki.

Advice about wearing something colorful is a good one, I was thinking about a possibility of being overrun by a boat...