US warranty info?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Does anyone know if any US appliance warranties (GE, Whirlpool, LG) are honored in the DR?

I can save approximately $1,000 and get exactly the appliances I want if I ship a refrigerator,washer and dryer from NY to Sosua. But if the warranty is not valid and the appliance doesn't work, I'm screwed.

Advice please? Thanks - D

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
You need to check them out individually. Sometimes you can buy a consumer protection plan, which is often a ripoff, but will have international coverage.

Also remember repairs are often cheaper in the DR.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Next door had an issue with an American purchased gas stove. His English is not good enough to understand the manual. So I was trying to help. I ended up calling the 1-800number in the states. I told them I was in the Dominican Repuiblic and needed more information on this product. They asked where in Canada is the Dominican Republic? To make a long story short, the contact info was in Puerto Rico and support would come from there. So check your manuals or ask the folks you buy it from BEFORE you buy it.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Sorry warranty is not valid in the DR. If bought here you have a warranty, but bringing products from another country invalidates the warranty......

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Sorry warranty is not valid in the DR. If bought here you have a warranty, but bringing products from another country invalidates the warranty......

Sometimes this is correct, but not always. I have found laptops to be covered for example.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Most anything bought in the US with it's standard warranty, is not only NOT covered abroad but can actually LOOSE it's warranty coverage in the US too, when exported to an outside country. This is explicitly true for motorized vehicles.
Some products like lap top computers can be bought with an International warranty protection from some manufacturers, BUT you need to check the fine print and sometimes even ask specifically (in writing) if they can give warranty service in the country you plan on taking the particular article out to. In the case of the DR, many companies or manufacturers are not (yet) set up to provide service under such an extended warranty.

Finally, may we be reminded of the fact that no mater where one, the products in question or the payment method utilized is from, this is the DR, a sovereign country and that ONLY it's laws apply here!

... J-D.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
If you're going to live in the DR, its best to forget everything you knew about the concept of warranty, free repairs, free item exchange, money back. You may achieve these here from time to time, but don't count on it.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Danny, have you included what customs will charge you in addition to shipping to bring items in from the US? The $1,000 saving if you just factor in shipping costs can evaporate rather quickly. If you really can save that much, just make sure you have good connections in the US for the repair parts for the items.

A washer or dryer including customs is US$200. A 25 cu.ft. side-by-side refrigerator is $450 all-in. I bought a snazzy over-the-range GE microwave at BestBuy in NY and shipped it to Sosua for $75.

If I can get what I want at Plaza Lama or Linares or wherever, I don't mind paying more. But if what they have is not a good product, then I'd rater buy in NY.

Interestingly, the maritime shippers in NY have exact figures for shipping flat screen TVs. The taxes are high because they are non essential items. I don't remember exactly, but a 42" is roughly $1,000. Still, with the prices dropping here in the States, it's not such a bad deal. - D