Solar energy

queffgwada

Apr 7, 2008
Hi everybody!

I'm French, located in Guadeloupe (FWI) and willing to run a fish farming facility near Rio San Juan (about 30 km South). This farm burns around 60 000 liters of diesel each year, for generators and heating purposes.

I'd like to throw it all away, and use solar energy instead (both water heaters and photovoltaic panels). It will be more sustainable, and probably quickly less expensive.

Is there any Dominican supplier of these kind of products, or will I have to import them???

Thanks for your advices, comments and answers.

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
I am not sure you will be able to throw all the existing sources away however you can make a sizable reduction in the fuel bill with solar.

A lot depends on the loads and types of loads you have connected.....solar is not very good at heavy power needs. You will need to decide issues like essential and non essential services as you may need to reduce power quickly if for instance you have thick cloud cover.

I would suggest you also look into wind power too as a source, not sure where you will be exactly but some places here Like Las Salinas have a usable breeze a lot of the time.

Biofuel or gas generators could cut the costs and I would suggest also you check out if you are using your equipment the right way and if they are efficient ...example too big a pump for the appilcation or too many cleaning cycles or back washing filters etc.

Skippy1

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
There are two that I have used

Sol Luz - Charimicos, Sosua

and

Freddy MultiService. - Sosua

I'll try and find their information

Both have great service and people. Freddy (FM) and Raquel (SoLuz) speak English well.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Skippy is correct

You should look at several alternatives.

I know Freddy has been 'testing' a smaller wind turbine outside of Caberete.(sp)

He should have some idea of there usefulness.

queffgwada

Apr 7, 2008
Well, thanks a lot everybody for your help. Actually I'll need to have heavy power for both water pumps and freezers, but I can accept to use diesel when solar not strong enough, or maybe have only a part of equipments on solar. Concerning wind turbine, I have no information on the wind strength and stability yet, but I'll keep it as an option.
Skippy you're true, efficiency of equipement has to be carefully checked. Biofuel or even vegetable oil could be an other solution, or part of the solution... Is there any local oil production that could feet ? Sunflower oil works great but I'm not very informed on other types...

Thanks again!

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Quick read todays DR1

Well, thanks a lot everybody for your help. Actually I'll need to have heavy power for both water pumps and freezers, but I can accept to use diesel when solar not strong enough, or maybe have only a part of equipments on solar. Concerning wind turbine, I have no information on the wind strength and stability yet, but I'll keep it as an option.
Skippy you're true, efficiency of equipement has to be carefully checked. Biofuel or even vegetable oil could be an other solution, or part of the solution... Is there any local oil production that could feet ? Sunflower oil works great but I'm not very informed on other types...

Thanks again!

If you are quick there is an article about a biofuel plant on todays news page it gets archived after a day or so this means you should try and read it today..

Best of luck......

Skippy1

queffgwada

Apr 7, 2008
Thanks Skippy1, I got it. But I'm afraid I have to wait a little before being able to operate the farm on this biodiesel ;-) It's a good thing anyway !!!

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Biofuel

You could of course just use any vegetable oil, used or not, and add the magic ingredient, the name of which escapes me, and it will run just like ordinary diesel maybe at about 90% of the normal power per bang in a standard engine.......my brother runs his tractor in the UK on it has done for years.......lol
sometimes he is found doing his rounds of all the fish and chips shops collecting their used oils. He says, he has never bought a gallon of diesel for years.......lol

Skippy1

Last edited:

queffgwada

Apr 7, 2008
There is even no magic ingredient to be used, it should work with vegetable oil as far as you can heat it to provide better fluidity... Maybe the ideal is a mix of all previous suggestions... I'll work on it and try to let you know...

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
There is even no magic ingredient to be used, it should work with vegetable oil as far as you can heat it to provide better fluidity... Maybe the ideal is a mix of all previous suggestions... I'll work on it and try to let you know...

The trick is to add about 10% white spirit or simply 25% regular diesel.
runs like a dream. UK is too cold in the winter to use without any additives.

Skippy1

queffgwada

Apr 7, 2008
You're true.Another solution is to have a small diesel tank added, and use it to start the engine and first miles, then split to oil tank (ideally oil is pre-heated). You also have to "clean" the engine with regular diesel before you stopit, to prevent oil from "freezing" in admission pipes. Of course it's much easier in tropical areas...