convertion from "dominican" units to metric units

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
What are the correct convetions from the "Dominican" units into metric units, After all these years i'm still not sure if i've got the numbres right. Internet ass such isn't always a help because you'll find different numbres and then the question rizes: Which one?

I'm thinking about

Tarea
libra
Gallon
etc

Greetings

Johan

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What are the correct convetions from the "Dominican" units into metric units, After all these years i'm still not sure if i've got the numbres right. Internet ass such isn't always a help because you'll find different numbres and then the question rizes: Which one?

I'm thinking about

Tarea = 629 sq. meters, but this is not totally exact. there are 15.9 tareas in a hectare.

libra = U.S. pound= 2.2046 pounds to a kilo

Gallon = slightly less than four liters. A gallon is 4 quarts. A quart is 0.908 of a liter. A liter is 1.057 quarts. I think an "imperial" gallon is four liters, but I am not sure.
etc Etc is the same in English or Dominican Spanish.

Greetings

Johan

Does that help?

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think I talked about "varas" and how 20 'varas' to a side was supposed to be a tarea.

However, on farms there are varas de vender y varas de comprar. For the vara de comprar, you find the tallest guy around. You find a long, long stick.

the measurement goes like this:
1) He stretches up to the tip of his hand, and marks that spot.
2) Then he adds the length of the distance between his elbow and the tip of his fingers.
3) then he adds one hand span.

The method varies from region to region but that is mainly how it is done.

HB

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I think I talked about "varas" and how 20 'varas' to a side was supposed to be a tarea.

However, on farms there are varas de vender y varas de comprar. For the vara de comprar, you find the tallest guy around. You find a long, long stick.

the measurement goes like this:
1) He stretches up to the tip of his hand, and marks that spot.
2) Then he adds the length of the distance between his elbow and the tip of his fingers.
3) then he adds one hand span.

The method varies from region to region but that is mainly how it is done.

HB

That was exactly what I was hoping you would share with us. Thanks!... J-D.