Waste Waste Wate Waste Waste And Waste

shannecart

Nov 15, 2007
I Cannot Believe The Garbage I See Thrown Out Into The Streets Every Day. These People Throw Out Styrofoam Cups And Plates And Plastic Bags Like There Is No Tomorrow. The Creek By Cuesta Hermosa Ii In Arroyo Hondo Is Very Polluted. It Looks Like A Trash Site. Do These People Take Any Pride In Their Country? Does The City Government Not Want A Clean Healthy Environment For Its Citizens. Shame On The Politicians Who Fail To Educate And Promote. The Roundabout In Front Of Supermercado Nacional Was Recently Redone. Nice Lights, Nice Benches, New Paved Sidewalks............only One Thing Missing!!!!!!!!!!! Waste Containers. No Wonder Dominicans Litter The Most Of Any People I Know.

A Disappointed Foreigner Who Will Move Out Again Because This Country Is Disgusting!!!!!!!!!!

J

John Evans

unfortunately there is no free litter collection so "these People" can not afford to have their litter taken away- you wuld need to pay taxes to have things like this

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
yeah and when "they" migrate to the U.S. they still throw thier garbage in the street! LITTERING is a mindset. We see it with a lot of Latin Americans that move here....it is simply a re-education process.....they get fined when they litter, thier houses and businesses are red tagged

One way to solve the problem would be for the DR electric company to build a power plant to burn the garbage and then offer discount electric coupons for garbage delivered.....I guarantee there would be line of delivery to the plant.

Second to that, perhaps the use of styrofoam boxes for take out food should be changed to paper or cardboard....styrofoam takes forever to breakdown.

Sto Dgo is disgusting when you walk the barrios just outside La Zona Colonial...there are huge piles of trash on the corners...but then, that is why I like the DR....it's a hot, dirty, smarmy, trash lined, crime ridden rock in the middle of the sea....a perfect place for me to be.

Reactions: Lucille

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
A Disappointed Foreigner Who Will Move Out Again Because This Country Is Disgusting!!!!!!!!!!

Yes we know about the trash and it is a problem. But ask yourself, is this really why you're leaving? You don't need to tell us but be honest with yourself, please. Otherwise it'll be the 'crime' in the next country which makes you move and the 'morals' in the country after that and the..........you get my drift I'm sure.

I wish you fruitful soul searching, a safe journey and a happier mindset in the future. And I'm being sincere.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I Cannot Believe The Garbage I See Thrown Out Into The Streets Every Day. These People Throw Out Styrofoam Cups And Plates And Plastic Bags Like There Is No Tomorrow. The Creek By Cuesta Hermosa Ii In Arroyo Hondo Is Very Polluted. It Looks Like A Trash Site. Do These People Take Any Pride In Their Country? Does The City Government Not Want A Clean Healthy Environment For Its Citizens. Shame On The Politicians Who Fail To Educate And Promote. The Roundabout In Front Of Supermercado Nacional Was Recently Redone. Nice Lights, Nice Benches, New Paved Sidewalks............only One Thing Missing!!!!!!!!!!! Waste Containers. No Wonder Dominicans Litter The Most Of Any People I Know.

I read your post much earlier but was unsure how to respond at the time... you are of course right about the rubbish as it is everywhere and, to be honest, I reacted in a similar way to which you have done when I first came to live here in DR. However, beyond the rubbish there are people who, IMHO outweigh the rubbish by 1000 to 1. Their humble little homes are spotless, cleaned to the stage that you could "eat off the floor" (so to speak) but as has been previously posted "education" is the key. When we first arrived here the surrounding area of our workers' casita was riddled with left-over barbed wire, chunks of broken up concrete, glass and plastic bottles, tin cans and the like - a mess to say the least. They were asked (told!) to tidy it up rapido and began to see the reasons why.... there is no overnight solution to re-educating a whole nation and, indeed, no refuse collection service outside of major cities and towns is going to assist the task but I do firmly believe that if you look beyond the rubbish you will find a totally different aspect.... think before you move out as you may become less disgusted with knowledge.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
"these People" are indeed very dirty when it comes to contaminate everything around them... However, they would be ashamed to go in the street with a dirty shirt... Puzzling...

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
I have pictures of this creek if anyone is interested.....I tried to open a post on this called river death but some how nothing happened and noone was interested......??

If you want to see just how bad it is (it is very bad) let me know and I e-mail the pics to you.

Skippy1

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Skippy, I'm interested and will put up the post on the blog (complete with pics) just as soon as I can. Sorry it was not quicker, but I'm travelling at the moment.

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
The trash seems to get to most on their first visit .... and I agree that education is key, but it is even more complacted than that.

For example ...out in the public schools ...kids have their snack/recess time and throw the trash all over the playground area. Then, after they all go back inside a woman comes out to clean it all up. Get them to start picking up after themselves and someone looses their job ....not to say that educating wouldn't outway that factor in the end, but it is still a factor ...

There are regularly paid employees in this town who clean up the roadside beach areas, city parks and a few other public places. If people stop litering in those areas, they will be out of work too.

The area that drives me most insane is the El Moro National park here in Monte Cristi ...it is an absolutely beautiful beach. Normally there arent any tourists there, maybe a Dominican family now and then but its usually unpopulated. Come carnival or other vacation times, tons of visitors come from Santiago and SD on big charter busses and bring all of their boxed lunches, presidentes, etc down to the beach, and of course leave it all there too ...and there are several garbage cans at the top of the beach. I know its all about education and mind set, but it is still a shame to see people treat one of their country's nicest national parks this way.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Dominicans are dirty... It is politically incorrect to write it down in a forum post, and I am sure many readers will bash me for stating it, but bottom line is that it is a fact.

They contaminate their nation at a fast rate. From the poorest to the richest...

I am sorry if I hurt some sensibilities when I write such an observation...

:(

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
I think its an evolutionary problem.......you look at the history of UK France etc and you will find many stories about the lack of sanitation and refuse left to pile up in the streets.

They even designed high heeled shoes to help people walk in the streets and keep their feet out of the raw sewerage. That was 200 years ago for us but the third world are in terms of development about 100 years behind the first world.

I know this is a generalisation but having travelled to many poor countries you will see the problem is common to most...not all I agree. Sytems of local governance are what will change this, when you get local people with funds and or desire to tackle the problem then you will see the education and an improvement. Meantime the eviroment will suffer and many more people will be effected...perhaps a replay of the Black Death would accelerate the process like it did for Europe...I am not wishing that on anyone I use it more as an example of what it took to turn the countries of Europe around.

Small local projects are the way to go at the moment I think. If the government wanted to really do something they could try and ban plastic bags and styrene packaging. Award communities with incentives by having some kind of local award for the cleanest streets encourage Gardeners to extend their thoughts ideas and actions into making the streets look better.
If you ever get the chance to go to England I would suggest you look at some of the entrants is similar contests for village of the year or county shows to see just what can be achieved.
I think I said before how important it is to clean as soon as you get a problem or else like Grafitti it will attract another and another untill the area decends into a total wasteland. Anyone who has seen the pictures of the Creek will no doubt agree this can't go on any longer without serious harm to the Island and its reputation.

Skippy1

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Dominicans are dirty... It is politically incorrect to write it down in a forum post, and I am sure many readers will bash me for stating it, but bottom line is that it is a fact.

They contaminate their nation at a fast rate. From the poorest to the richest...

I am sorry if I hurt some sensibilities when I write such an observation...

:(

I don't have an issue with your statement per se, as I understand what you're trying to say, the issue tough is the way you said it and generalized. As I'm sure you know Dominicans are some of the cleanest people probably on earth when it refers to their body, their hair, their nails, their house, their car, etc...in essence what they consider their own space.

There's however this culture of not caring about what they consider public space (Not theirs). So since this space is not mine I don't care if I throw trash there, because someone else (i.e. The government) is supposed to pick it up, I don't care if I spit, pi$$ or even sh$t on it, because after all IS NOT MY space.

I've asked questioned some fellow Dominicans before about this phenomenon. Asked why they keep their house very clean, while not caring about let's say all the trash piled up on their sidewalk and they invariably will draw a line and say "De ahi pa lla eso no e mio...asi es que..." - Translation: "From there on...that's not mine, soooo I really don't care what happens over there..."

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Maybe they will care when people start dying of illnesses spread by rats.......read the history of Europe and the reason for over 20 millions deaths then ask them if they would be happy for a repeat preformance live and close up????

Its time everyone woke up to the fact that its a shared problem for everyone rich and poor expat, tourist or native.

Skippy1

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
How soon people forget! Here in the USA back in the early 60's there was garbage everywhere. Until 'Ladybird Johnson' started the "clean up America" campaign!

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
The United States produces more garbage and pollution per capita than any country in the world. I would hope no American would come down here and put down a developing country because of litter when their own country is such a problem for the world. We have noticed that when garbage bins are provided and the streets repaired, the surrounding areas are kept super clean.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
If one is concerned about how you're going to eat and buy food on an ongoing basis, the trash becomes a problem that you don't want to deal with. Also, the DR has very few trash handling mechanisms. One cannot deal with trash without any infrastructure at all.

Squat, your comment is in bad taste. Please show me your personal trash handling mechanisms as you must be setting the standard for all of us.

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Sounds like the chicken and egg argument to me.
If people wanted to do something they would!!!!!!!
the simple truth is the majority don't care.......
You do not need a 200,000 dollar dustcart to collect rubbish and dispose of it in a friendly way.
Look at the pictures of the Creek KeithR posted for me and tell me you are not ashamed that a Dominican did this to their own land???????
I challenge you to justify it in any way you can by saying this person was poor!!!!

Skippy1

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
If one is concerned about how you're going to eat and buy food on an ongoing basis, the trash becomes a problem that you don't want to deal with.
Chris, you and I know very well this is not the case here... This is not Haiti...

Also, the DR has very few trash handling mechanisms. One cannot deal with trash without any infrastructure at all.
While this is true for many Dominican region, it is not the case in Las Terrenas, as Europeans are providing Dominicans with trashcans (drums), everywhere, in the village and around... It doesn't change anything in the loitering behaviour...

Squat, your comment is in bad taste. Please show me your personal trash handling mechanisms as you must be setting the standard for all of us.
Chris, I understand your statement. In fact, I was expecting such when I wrote my bad taste comment. I felt like telling it like it is, since the title of the thread is "waste, waste, waste"... I certainly don't mean to hurt anyone, but sometimes, one has to speak his mind, regardless of PR's... I am by no means "Mr.Clean", but I try my best to improve a bit everyday... Sorry to be so frank, no offense... I stand up to my comment.

As I'm sure you know Dominicans are some of the cleanest people probably on earth when it refers to their body, their hair, their nails, their house, their car, etc...in essence what they consider their own space.
That is a clever observation, Suarezn !
I couldn't have said it better !
Now, why is it that they are so "clean" for their shirts, their shoes & their jeepeta, but so dirty when it comes to everything else ? Because, as a matter of fact, it is their space too...