Santo Domingo here I come!

Jemz

Apr 10, 2008
Hi all, I'm going to Santo Domingo almost one week from today. This will be my first visit and I'll be there for about a week and I'm really excited about my trip. Is there anything I should absolutely not miss doing during my stay, like great sites, restaurants etc.?

I've heard some positive reviews about the Maison Gatreaux so I'm considering staying there. Any advice or other suggestions? Can someone tell me how close it is to the Intercontinental Hotel?

I'm also interested in la Feria Internacional del Libro and I'll appreciate whatever information about that as well.

Pues, hasta entonces.

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
In case you don't have the link, here is the link to the Book Fair Direcci?n General de la Feria del Libro - Secretar?a de Estado de Cultura - Inicio, which is sponsored by the Secretary of State for Culture Secretaría de Estado de Cultura Both sites are in Spanish only.

I also highly recommend the Museum of Modern Art, which is in the Cultural Plaza where the Book Fair is taking place. There a few museums in the Plaza, but the Modern Art has an outstanding collection of Dominican art on the top floor, with special exhibitions on the other floors, and is always worth a visit.

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
If this is your first time....

I would suggest a hotel a little more centrally located in CZ.
Such as Mercure or Discovery...etc. These are about the same price and within walking distance to many sites, resturants, and so on.
At Maison Gatreaux you will be using a taxi for practically all your outings.
Although the hotel is a bargain price, taxi fares will adventually add up.
Just a thought.

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
I would suggest a hotel a little more centrally located in CZ.
Such as Mercure or Discovery...etc. These are about the same price and within walking distance to many sites, resturants, and so on.
At Maison Gatreaux you will be using a taxi for practically all your outings.
Although the hotel is a bargain price, taxi fares will adventually add up.
Just a thought.

i agree. the mercure or hotel discovery are great choices and are in the heart of the CZ (particularly the mercure) and within walking distance of everything. also check out the coco boutique hotel. its also in the CZ but not directly on el conde (its a 2-3 minute walk away) so its quieter at night. have fun!!

Feb 7, 2007
Well, if you stay in Maison Gatreaux, and you are a little bit adventurous, just walk up to Indipendencia (1 Block) and catch a Carro publico - for 12 pesos you will be at Parque Indipendencia, the start of El Conde and Colonial Zone.

To get back to hotel, catch carro publico at Bolivar (parallel to Indipendencia, on the other side of Parque) and get off at Banco Leon, and then just head down 3 block on pasteur to Indipendencia. One block more and you are at M. Gatreaux. Total fare, less than 1 dollar. Get the front seat and pay 2 fares so you will not be squeezed in.
I would never ever pay 150 pesos for a taxi to go 10 blocks on the same route a carro publico travels where you can buy up the whole carro publico car for 60 or 70 pesos.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
To answer your first questions about how close the Maision Gautreaux Hotel is to the Intercontinental: The answer is - Right NEXT DOOR. It is literally 250 feet away.

You will like the maison gautreaux. did you make a reservation yet? - Just email the owner and tell him your plans for your stay. He will take good care of you. His email is Jggm@maisiongautreaux.net

Good Luck and have a great time!

Jemz

Apr 10, 2008
Thank God it's Friday!

Hey guys, thanks a mil for all the good advice! It was all very helpful. I visited the site that RonS suggested and it really has a lot of useful info so I'll definitely recommend it.

Dakra, thank u for that info about Intercontinental and Maison Gautreaux. That was really important. I called the hotel but didn't make a reservation yet so I'll email the owner about my plans like you said.

I'll be getting in on Friday next week and weekends are usually happening! Don't we just live for the weekend?! So, what are some of the hotspots and happening places on the weekend?

Gracias a todos...