There are good people...

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
It's not all bad in DR, in spite of how we may make it sound at times ;)

Online chat with a friend in Santiago today:

Xxxxxxx says:
funny thing happened
i dropped my little card holder
that contains my id, driver's license, credit cards, and debit cards on the street today
CFA123 says:
uh huh
Xxxxxxx says:
guy who sells cell phone accesories found it
asked a policeman and a watchman what to do
they said to make sure he gave it to me personally
the guy went to my house
actually said he went the oppostite direction trying to find it
but he went to my house without it
so my mom and my sister went to the gas station, where someone had it
mom gave him 150 pesos (cheap huh!)
and now i have it
tan tan! end of story

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
yesterday I dropped some money while on my way to the car with the weekly shopping. I picked up all I could find and started to get ready to drive off when a small boy tapped the window. I first thought he was asking for money and ignored him. As I started to move he waved a 500 peso bill at me. I opened the window and he gave it to me saying I had dropped it.......wow!!!
I was so shocked I could not believe it.....I told him to keep it and he continued to try and give to me through the window...I took the note and gave him 100 pesos in exchange. This he took and smiled like I have never seen a small boy smile before.

Every day you learn or see something new.

Skippy1

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
yesterday I dropped some money while on my way to the car with the weekly shopping. I picked up all I could find and started to get ready to drive off when a small boy tapped the window. I first thought he was asking for money and ignored him. As I started to move he waved a 500 peso bill at me. I opened the window and he gave it to me saying I had dropped it.......wow!!!
I was so shocked I could not believe it.....I told him to keep it and he continued to try and give to me through the window...I took the note and gave him 100 pesos in exchange. This he took and smiled like I have never seen a small boy smile before.

Skippy1

I have noticed many times, while in DR, that Dominicans are VERY proud people.

I am pretty sure the states will eventually change that, my opinion!!!!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006

Skippy1

This is such a lovely story to hear - bet he couldn't believe that someone would be prepared to give him 500 pesos but he was more than happy with 100 - bet that boy will grow up to be honest. That smile alone was worth the 500 pesos I bet...

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Im sorry BxBoy, but what are you talking about here??

What I mean is that, when I am in the Dominican Republic I tend to notice that Dominicans are very humble and proud people.

Like the story that Skippy1 told, I happened to try to give out a hand out to a kid that wanted to shine my shoes. The kid did not want the hand out. He wanted to earn the mula by shining my shoes.

In Skippy's case, the kid wanted to return the 500 pesos even though Skippy told him to keep it. The kid did accept the 100 pesos as a reward.

Now, NYC tends to change peoples morals. Take that kid to NYC and, in a few years, there is a possibility that that kid will not return the 500 pesos.

Again, this is my opinion and not ALL will change only a few.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
My goodness, you have not ONE story of someone being nice or honest? Lets not turn this thread into something else... it was such a nice make-you-smile story...

I know what you mean and you may be correct, but still - this can put a fork in the stories to come.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
BTW - My mother's wallet was returned to her from a guard all the way in Herrera and it was stolen by El Canal near el Doce. I thought that was incredible that the bandits went so far only to throw it away - check book and all...

J

John Evans

I find that people always point if you drop something in the street (no not trousers)....I mean that they tell you that you have dropped a wallet or money or anything

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Verdad

My goodness, you have not ONE story of someone being nice or honest? Lets not turn this thread into something else... it was such a nice make-you-smile story...

I know what you mean and you may be correct, but still - this can put a fork in the stories to come.

Very True!!!!

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Seriously I can tell you I would have paid 1000 pesos to have got a picture of the smile......almost made me cry and thats going some...verdad!!

Skippy1

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
something somewhat similar happened to me. i was in plaza lama buying school supplies for the school i was volunteering at and i had dropped my credit card and driver's license on the floor as i was attempting to pick up half a dozens bags after my transaction was completed. i obviously wasnt paying attention and walked out the door. i was waiting for my ride outside and about 5 or so minutes later, another customer who was in line but a few people behind me, ran out of the store into the parking lot with my visa and ID in hand.

being in the field im in (i do fraud and money laundering investigations for a credit union in canada) i know the type of fraud one can commit with someone's ID and visa card so i thanked the person graciously and offered him a reward. he smiled and basically said that it wasnt necessary.

as small and possibly insignificant as this incident was...great things DO happen everyday by good people :)

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
It can be backwards too, very backwards actually:

A couple of weeks ago I was parked on the parking lot of a local super market. An ol' fella approached me trying to sell me some lottery tickets while I was busy accommodating stuff in my vehicle. I waved off. So, he stood there watching me moving things around in my truck. Then, as he thought I was done, he tried to insist a little... in a very friendly manner. Again, I told him I was not interested, in an equally friendly manner.
So, he proceeded to walk away in between the cars. As I come out of the car, I find two full sheets of lottery tickets he must have dropped trying to squeeze out between cars. I picked them up and searched the whole parking until I got a hold of the man and gave them to me.
His reaction was almost the expected, almost: First, he would not understand what I wanted from him, then, amazement and finally he was all shaken about my "honesty" and very thankful.
I tried not to make a big deal about it, smiled and said it was OK... and went back to my vehicle to drive off, when I got him tapping on my window. And now comes the part that really got me worried, then, he asked me if I was Dominican. I denied, and he went on to say that it was the first time a "gringo" had given HIM anything back, ever!
Imagine, a Gringo honrado!?!?

So, it goes to tell, that maybe, while some have come to think that all locals maybe after "us" and "ours", some locals have come to think the opposite(?).

... J-D.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
We had an incident recently whereby we were taking wooden built dog containers to Sosua from Sabaneta area. One of the huge dog containers fell out of the back of the truck whilst we were travelling along the main road but a local picked it up out of the road, put it on his shoulders and ran towards our truck as we were backing up the road to retrieve it - that would never have happened to us in England in a million years!!!!

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
We had an incident recently whereby we were taking wooden built dog containers to Sosua from Sabaneta area. One of the huge dog containers fell out of the back of the truck whilst we were travelling along the main road but a local picked it up out of the road, put it on his shoulders and ran towards our truck as we were backing up the road to retrieve it - that would never have happened to us in England in a million years!!!!

Ooooh whirley don't say that......its not true there are plenty of nice folk in England too.. like me!!!!!

Skippy!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Ooooh whirley don't say that......its not true there are plenty of nice folk in England too.. like me!!!!!

Skippy!

Yes, I agree that there are plenty of nice folk in England but not sure how many would have picked up my dog crate, heaved it to shoulder level and then followed us to give it back!!! I am not anti-Brit so please don't think I am.... next time I lose something off the back of our truck I will make sure that its you following Skippy, is that okay?

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Not me too old and haggard now i will leave it to the young bucks who I am sure could carry your dog kennel thingy for you.....hehehe

May I suggest you invest in some rope or maybe some chains??
Prevention being better than cure as they say.....

Skippy1

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Not me too old and haggard now i will leave it to the young bucks who I am sure could carry your dog kennel thingy for you.....hehehe

May I suggest you invest in some rope or maybe some chains??
Prevention being better than cure as they say.....

Skippy1

Haha, we have some good ratchet straps for insecure items but had not anticipated that the tailgate on the truck was not secured correctly but will bear in mind that you are not the correct person to be following behind when all goes wrong with heavy items!!! :bunny: