International Mortgage

dtronx

Jun 23, 2006
Hello,
I am looking to buy a condo in DR. I was wondering if someone could help me in is it possible that I live in NY to get a mortgage for the property down in DR, and if so what is the best way of going about it.

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
You really would be better getting a mortgage in the US, or remortgage your existing home to buy here for cash, as the interest rates here are higher. Not sure how you would get one here if you don't have residence or own another property as security.

dtronx

Jun 23, 2006
Question is that I can get a mortgage here in the US and use the money to buy a home down in the dominican republic?

dtronx

Jun 23, 2006
So what is the best way to get a mortgage and then buy the property in the Dominican Republic?

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
To buy offshore with a mortgage in the states is something that might work out very expensive in the current climate unless you have a good security for them.

Like I said before if you can raise cash buy using assets in the states then you can buy here for cash.....would not recommend you rely on getting a local mortgage here.

Skippy1

dtronx

Jun 23, 2006
I heard the interest rates are very high in the DR. That's why I was trying to see about getting a mortgage here and purchasing the property there. Since this is my first mortgage I guess I don't see how realistic it is going to be,

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
its never easy to get your first home no matter where you live.....I sympathise with you. All you can do is save hard and take minimal risks with your money

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Get a couple of credit cards, push the limits up really high and then take out a balance transfer. You could probably get $100k that way. If you're not sharp its a risky strategy though, you'd need to really stay on top of the interest rates and aim to pay it off within 2 years, not a typical 30 year loan timeframe.

I did this for about $25k a few years ago and it worked out great and was an extremely cheap loan.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
You can get a mortgage here in the DR, to buy a house there are several banks in DR that now provide mortgages for non-Dominican residence in Santo Domingo you may be able to find a morgage broker just like in the us that be able to help you or you may try Banco Popular or Scotia Bank in the area that you want to buy.

dtronx

Jun 23, 2006
My credit score is good it's not too bad 700-715 so i know i shouldn't have a problem with a mortgage just where to get it so I don't get hammered with high rates is the question.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
My credit score is good it's not too bad 700-715 so i know i shouldn't have a problem with a mortgage just where to get it so I don't get hammered with high rates is the question.

Don't worry here in DR, they are NOT going to go off your score, they have their OWN way to grade borrowers; and YES you will be paying a pretty high rate compare to what you pay in your primary home in North America.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
I do not agree that you cannot get a mortgage from a US bank for a D.R. house. We arranged our mortgage in Canada using the equity on our house here. It was enough to finance our house there and we were not even asked what it was for. So you never know until you ask or try.

:bunny::bunny:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I do not agree that you cannot get a mortgage from a US bank for a D.R. house. We arranged our mortgage in Canada using the equity on our house here. It was enough to finance our house there and we were not even asked what it was for. So you never know until you ask or try.

That has already been suggested in this thread. You have to have equity in the country you are taking the loan as you did. This is not what the OP is asking for.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
What would be a pretty prime rate? If you could give me an example.

Your rate maybe around 10% - 15%, banks here will require to see your last 3 months bank statements, copies of your income taxes, and a letter from your current bank.
The process to have the loan approve and close takes about 2 to 3 months.

edsmith

Dec 14, 2007
all county lending can get financing for DR.call steve schroyer 727-204-0110 seminole florida

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
First, don't mortgage yourself to buy in the DR. R/E in the DR is in its development stages, however the country still carries a high risk premium.
Second, the secondary market in real estate here in the DR is not what one would equate to the USA/developed markets- rarely are the original property owners rewarded to the extent they had planned based on the assumed country risk;

jwatlingtoniii

May 8, 2008
Well I'm a mortgage broker in Florida that does international financing. What I advise my client to do first is if they have equity in there home to take the money out of the equity they have to purchase there vacation home cash. Especially now since interest rates on home equity lines have decreased. Plus all the interest that you pay on your home equity is tax deductible. If you don't have enough equity to purchase a home then you can get financed by a US bank. Of course you will have to put down 30% to purchase the home. There are financing option out there, there are a couple of banks that do international financing, it has gotten more difficult to find these banks, because of the current problems we are having here in the US. One of the banks that I was using went out of business 2 months ago. Well if any of you have any question in regards to international financing feel free to ask.