Congrats Whirleybird!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
For being voted spokesperson for the Friends of the Animals, Dominican Republic - Asociaci?n De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sos?a, Inc.

Tell us a little about what you do?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Congrats Whirleybird. The animals in the DR sure need a friend like you.

Good luck

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
For being voted spokesperson for the Friends of the Animals, Dominican Republic - Asociaci?n De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sos?a, Inc.

Tell us a little about what you do?

Thanks, Chris. The Association has many aims and has successfully completed many tasks which I will not describe in detail here or people will get bored reading the post. Many abandoned / stray dogs and cats are cared for, treated and rehomed on a regular basis from the base at Judy's Pet Lodge. The enormous spay/ neuter programme for the beach/ street dogs and cats of the North coast continues with over 100 being "fixed" in each of the months of January and February and that programme continues with the aid of the volunteer work of Sue Harvey (UK vet) dedicating her time and expertise FREE to help these animals plus other visiting vets and none of this would be possible without Judy's wonderful organisation and co-ordination of events. Alongside these vets are local residents, like myself, happy and prepared to devote time to assisting the vets and Judy in their task. More volunteers will always be welcomed so, if interested, please PM me for details.

The immediate concern is that when the residents of El Tablon move there are animals also to be considered and today I posted the promise of aaasosua on the El Tablon thread - it involves helping to transport the dogs/ cats, offering FREE spay/ neuter operations to alleviate the indiscriminate breeding which only adds to the already enormous animal population and treating the animals for parasites and injecting against rabies - all this is done for the animals free but donations are essential as are volunteer workers. We need contacts in El Tablon and Playa Chiquita to assist with co-odination - please help if you can in any way at all as we will be grateful and, more importantly, so will the dogs and cats.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I am a tiny cog in a very big wheel and just trying to give cudos to those who really get out there and do all the work - thanks for your comment though.

J

John Evans

do you get other animals from time to time apart from cats and dogs - what is the strangest...

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The enormous spay/ neuter programme for the beach/ street dogs and cats of the North coast continues with over 100 being "fixed" in each of the months of January and February

Wow, this is a big number. Did not realize the size of the operation, so thanks for telling us.

We need contacts in El Tablon and Playa Chiquita to assist with co-odination - please help if you can in any way at all as we will be grateful and, more importantly, so will the dogs and cats.

Anyone that can help, please contact whirleybird. This is a good cause and a neighbourly thing to do.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
do you get other animals from time to time apart from cats and dogs - what is the strangest...

The free spay/ neuter programme is to counteract the indiscrimate breeding of dogs and cats, and is therefore not really open to all species of animals - having said that, in return for my work (time) and a donation, Sue castrated my pet lamb today!!! Archie is fine but feeling a little 'sorry for himself' this evening, awww...

Last edited:

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Whirleybird,
When you ask for voluntary help - is this just from residents or could you use an offer of help for two weeks at a time three times a year, if so I am very interested?
Rio

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Whirleybird,
When you ask for voluntary help - is this just from residents or could you use an offer of help for two weeks at a time three times a year, if so I am very interested?
Rio

All offers of help are welcomed and valued. Depending on timing of your visits, Rio, and what part of the programme is being undertaken during those periods, would determine how you can be of assistance. By all means get in touch when you know when you are visting and we can chat it through. Thank you very much for your response.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Congrats Whirleybird. The animals in the DR sure need a friend like you.

Good luck

congrats, whirleybird, I agree that the animals can be glad ,to have
friends like you.
have a great day, sabra:bunny:

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
whirleybird...

You are a wonderful example of what all ex-pats SHOULD be doing once they make the DR their home.... giving back to the community that has graciously accepted them.

Well done and keep up the great work!

Marlie