Getting In... Legally

LiveHmm

Apr 7, 2008
Quick question for some tourists turned residents in the Dominican:

My boyfriend and I run an online company out of Canada and are planning on living in the Dominican for at least six months while running the business via our computers. I am told that the tourist card lasts for two months and I plan on applying for a multiple entry business visa in Santo Domingo once I get there. I'd like to book my plane ticket for 6 months but I'm wondering if they'll give me a hard time in customs or at the airport because I don't yet have a visa and my departure date is 4 months past the tourist card expiry.

Any insight on this matter is appreciated!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I think you can get a multiple rentry work visa for about $3000 CAD in the Dominican embassy in Toronto. That should take care of it and you can come and go as you please.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Ok, before I get flamed, yes, that was an intentionally wrong post. It just seems like a funny question hearing from the DR where there are no rules whatsoever.. Sorry! :)

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Quick question for some tourists turned residents in the Dominican:

My boyfriend and I run an online company out of Canada and are planning on living in the Dominican for at least six months while running the business via our computers. I am told that the tourist card lasts for two months and I plan on applying for a multiple entry business visa in Santo Domingo once I get there. I'd like to book my plane ticket for 6 months but I'm wondering if they'll give me a hard time in customs or at the airport because I don't yet have a visa and my departure date is 4 months past the tourist card expiry.

Any insight on this matter is appreciated!

You could keep things simple and just come in on your tourist visas and overstay them and pay the small overstay fee when you exit the DR.
This as long you don't need to do business locally.

... J-D.