Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting In... Legally

Quick question for some tourists turned residents in the Dominican:

My boyfriend and I run an online company out of Canada and are planning on living in the Dominican for at least six months while running the business via our computers. I am told that the tourist card lasts for two months and I plan on applying for a multiple entry business visa in Santo Domingo once I get there. I'd like to book my plane ticket for 6 months but I'm wondering if they'll give me a hard time in customs or at the airport because I don't yet have a visa and my departure date is 4 months past the tourist card expiry.

Any insight on this matter is appreciated!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

No, they won't give you a hard time. But please call the country the 'Dominican Republic'. The Dominican is a person ...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you can get a multiple rentry work visa for about $3000 CAD in the Dominican embassy in Toronto. That should take care of it and you can come and go as you please.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, before I get flamed, yes, that was an intentionally wrong post. It just seems like a funny question hearing from the DR where there are no rules whatsoever.. Sorry! :-)

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    No, they won't give you a hard time. But M frog will please call the country the 'Dominican Republic'. The Dominican is a person ...
    they won't give you a hard time. Froogy will

Quote Originally Posted by mountainfrog View Post
    What's this? Dominica

m'frog

Quote Originally Posted by DOMINCAN BOY View Post
    The Dominican Republic and Dominica are two very different islands more than 500 miles apart.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LiveHmm View Post
    Quick question for some tourists turned residents in the Dominican:

My boyfriend and I run an online company out of Canada and are planning on living in the Dominican for at least six months while running the business via our computers. I am told that the tourist card lasts for two months and I plan on applying for a multiple entry business visa in Santo Domingo once I get there. I'd like to book my plane ticket for 6 months but I'm wondering if they'll give me a hard time in customs or at the airport because I don't yet have a visa and my departure date is 4 months past the tourist card expiry.

Any insight on this matter is appreciated!

You could keep things simple and just come in on your tourist visas and overstay them and pay the small overstay fee when you exit the DR.
    This as long you don't need to do business locally.

... J-D.