presidente beer

laura h

Oct 1, 2003
does anyone know if/how i can have presidente imported to here in the UK??

if anyone living in the DR fancies doing this, i reckon you could make a good profit on doing this as a sideline!!! ive met loads of people that would love to get a hold of this stuff!!!

L

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
South African Brewing

You might contact
SABMiller
SABMiller House
Church Street West
Woking, Surrey
GU216HS

SABMILLER is the sole importer for Presidente to the USA. Perhaps they have the rights to the UK.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
just wondering why you would want Presidente with all the excellent beers in the UK. Kind of like ordering the fish at a great steakhouse..

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
just wondering why you would want Presidente with all the excellent beers in the UK. Kind of like ordering the fish at a great steakhouse..

or drinking red wine with whatever I am eating, including fish, why? because I like it... :bunny:

Why try to dampen the OP's enthusiasm? or are you just trying to show your knowledge of English brews?

Last edited:

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
A good question, but before I moved here to the DR, I had visited several times and wanted to find a beer similar on the west coast of the US. I couldn't find anything close to it. And it is probably quite different from the wonderful beers found in the UK. I personally find it to be one of the best warm weather beers.

Either you like it or you really don't:

Presidente beer - Dominican Republic

If you like warm weather beers, I bet you would like Corona or better yet Dos XX in the green bottle. That was what I was hoping Presidente would be like at first. I have to give the DR credit, it is great ice cold. Anything warmer, it isn't too great- skunky and poor finish.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I have had both Corona and Dos XX as you mentioned and they are not close to as good as Presidente is for me.

(When in the US, I normally prefer stouts and porters. )

Hopefully the OP can get their fix in the UK, but I don't expect it will be easy. The Presidente I had in Florida did not have the same taste as it does here.

Yep, and the one in NYC is just as bad!!!

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
The Presidente I had in Florida did not have the same taste as it does here.[/QUOTE]

Probably cause it wasn't as cold as they get it here. Also, it is the same reason Ragu shaghetti sauce doesn't taste the same here as it does in the states- sitting on a pier somewhere in ridiculous heat can cook/ change the actual chemical composition of things. Wine is especially vulnerable.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
This is a nice thread, about Presidente beer not being that good overseas i was talking to a friend who had a chance to talk to Jose Leon one the heads of the Leon Jimenes Family and she asked him why the beer that they export taste different, he said that is the exact same beer that they export, the problem is that outside the country they don't get the beer as cold as they get it here and that's the cause why the beer tastes different.

The other day I tasted the belgium? beer Duvel, damn the best beer I have ever tasted. Presidente is like soap water next to it. A shame that it is sooo expensive:(

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Just a quick aside first - I had my first Duvel at Simpre Sol last year and that really is a quality product - dont need too many of them!

With regards to Pres in the UK - I cant see it happening. There is such a huge selection already its hard to break the market in any chain for an item that will only be known by a very small % of Brits.

The reality of why it tastes so good is this :

Its where your drinking it - who your drinking it with - the view you have when your drinking it :)

Mar 2, 2008
I am a huge beer fan. I have brewed my own, sampled numerous (too numerous to count) micro-brews, sampled many local brews through Latin America (including Crystal in Cuba, also very good), and am a regular buyer of Pilsner Urquel (the orgininal pilsner), Stella Artois, and other fine beers. Perhaps wishingiwasthere is correct, maybe it is a matter of environment, and since the only time I drink Presidente is when I am in the DR, i have no "control sample" to judge by. However, based only on my personal perference, Presidente is one of the top ten beers I have tasted.

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
I am and have been a fan of beer however beer is different in UK what you call beer here we call larger.

Its easier to transport then english beer which like some good wines do not travel well. I could murder a pint of London Pride or Theaktons old peculiar.....any Brits on the board know where to get any here?
Presidente only ever tastes good really really cold I cant drink it 20 mins after its been taken out of the freezer.
But the first 10 are good.......lol

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
This is a nice thread, about Presidente beer not being that good overseas i was talking to a friend who had a chance to talk to Jose Leon one the heads of the Leon Jimenes Family and she asked him why the beer that they export taste different, he said that is the exact same beer that they export, the problem is that outside the country they don't get the beer as cold as they get it here and that's the cause why the beer tastes different.

The other day I tasted the belgium? beer Duvel, damn the best beer I have ever tasted. Presidente is like soap water next to it. A shame that it is sooo expensive:(
Duvel is indeed good, especially the Triple, and one of my favorite Belgian beers. But I think not the best. Unfortunately, the best Belgian beers are trapistes that are only served on draft, not in bottles, and don't seem to be exported. Hmmm, getting thristy just thinking about my fav dive bar in Brussels LOL...

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I am and have been a fan of beer however beer is different in UK what you call beer here we call larger.

Its easier to transport then english beer which like some good wines do not travel well. I could murder a pint of London Pride or Theaktons old peculiar.....any Brits on the board know where to get any here?
Presidente only ever tastes good really really cold I cant drink it 20 mins after its been taken out of the freezer.
But the first 10 are good.......lol

Correct me if I am wrong but I always knew it as lager... I don't like beer much at all but I do enjoy a very cold Presidente every now and then.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Presidente beer takes on the import competition in South Florida
Dominican beer known for its white veil of ice is making inroads in South Florida
By Doreen Hemlock

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

April 13, 2008

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic

Ask for a cold one in this sun-drenched Caribbean nation, and chances are you'll get a Presidente beer. It likely will be "dressed like a bride," with white frost on a bottle stored nearly frozen.

The longtime Dominican sweetheart also has emerged as a favorite in South Florida. It now ranks among the area's top four best-selling imports — its strongest showing outside its homeland.

The story of Presidente's success features an unusual cast: an immigrant family from Spain that got its start in hand-rolled cigars; Americans who launched a tropical brewery; the conglomerate Philip Morris; and a beverage distributor from Pompano Beach.

Their combined efforts now have Presidente nipping at the heels of Heineken, Corona and Beck's in South Florida's import-dominant beer market, setting the stage for the largest Dominican brewery to expand across the U.S. east coast, into Europe and beyond.

"We hope to double our export revenues by 2012, building on our base in Florida," said Franklin Leon, vice president for exports for Cerveceria Nacional Dominicana, or Dominican National Brewery.

Presidente's tale began a century ago, when a Spanish family started a cigar business in the Dominican Republic. In 1969, U.S. tobacco giant Philip Morris partnered with the thriving Leon Jimenes clan to grow tobacco and make Marlboro cigarettes.

Philip Morris owned Miller beer and in 1983, the partners moved a factory from Alaska to the Dominican Republic to make brews there. They soon bought the biggest Dominican brewery, launched by U.S. businessmen in 1929 and maker of market leader Presidente.

The brewery had gained a mass following starting in the 1930s, largely because of iceboxes. Brewery owners had seen lines form at a chain that sold beer extra cold. With iceboxes costly for retailers back then, the brewers offered to finance them. Presidente sales soared, as clients sought out "the bride" or what some call "ash" frost on bottles kept at nearly freezing temperatures.

Exports were nary a thought until Dominicans began migrating en masse, especially to New York. Some would take cases of Presidente with them. The brewery launched a chubby bottle for export, but the effort failed as Dominicans in New York sought the original longneck.

Presidente tried again, this time selling the original in South Florida. The area has a preference for imported beers because of its large foreign-born population and position as an international trade hub.

Challenging the giants
Across the United States, imports last year accounted for 14 percent of beer sales by volume, up from about 7 percent a decade earlier, according to Beer Marketer's Insights, a newsletter based in Nanuet, N.Y.

But in Broward and Miami-Dade counties, imports now make up about 65 percent of beer sales, said Art Friedman, president of Gold Coast Beverage Distributors of Pompano Beach and Miami, Florida's largest beer distributor.

Presidente started out small in South Florida in 1991, using the same distributor as Miller and targeting mainly the Dominican community, a group of perhaps 30,000 people at that time, according to the U.S. Census.

Sales were roughly 40,000 cases the first year, with little spent on marketing, Leon said.

Competing head-to-head against leading imports Heineken and Corona was out of the question. The brewer could not afford multimillion-dollar outlays on marketing. It sponsored some Dominican festivals and later, bought a few radio spots on Spanish-language radio to crossover mostly to Cubans who lacked a beer in South Florida imported from their homeland, said Leon.

Export sales grew slowly — until Gold Coast acquired the company's Florida distributor in 2001 and sought to expand beyond Hispanics. It relied mainly on $1-off coupons to position the beer slightly cheaper than other imports and on big supermarket displays to boost visibility.

"They're a great trade up for a Bud drinker, but not as high priced as Corona and Heineken," Friedman said. Retailers expanded shelf space for what's promoted as "Caribbean beer," because higher-priced imports offer larger profit margins for vendors, he said.

Last year, Presidente sold about 1 million cases in Florida. The brewery's sales topped 41 million cases in the Dominican Republic, Leon said.

But competition is rising. In the Dominican Republic, the makers of Brazil's Brahma beer recently built a factory, seeking to steal some of the brewery's 90 percent market at home. And in Florida, it must keep pace with innovations. The brewery recently launched a light beer and cans and soon will introduce a draft and an 18-pack, Friedman said.

To compete, the Dominican National Brewery has built a larger, more high-tech headquarters in Santo Domingo, at a cost estimated at roughly $400 million. The complex spans more than six square blocks, with its own water treatment plant, electricity plant, computerized brewing operations and 31 beer fermentation tanks — each about five stories high.

Dominican partners in 2006 took over Philip Morris' stake in the brewery, swapping their share in Marlboro operations. To help fund the deal, the brewery is selling about $134 million in bonds, its first issue in the Dominican market.

Still, the gap between a family-owned brewery starting to export from a country of 9 million people and global leaders remains huge. In the United States last year, Mexico's Corona sold 8.3 million barrels and Heineken 5.3 million barrels — each containing 31 gallons. That compared with just 110,000 barrels for Presidente, which sold little outside South Florida and New York, said Beer Marketer's Insights.

Yet for South Florida consumers, there's no denying the allure of the Dominican bride.

Cuba-born waiter Luis Miguel Bedia, 47, said he serves plenty at trendy Miami restaurants and also drinks it at home — chilled to limit its foam. He likes its consistency, reasonable price and the bottle design. Most of all, said Bedia, "It tastes good."

1 million
Cases of Presidente beer sold in Florida

14 percent
Imports as a share of U.S. beer sales by volume

65 percent
Imports as a share of South Florida's beer sales by volume

Employees at the company that makes Presidente, including some at a South Florida office

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Beer in FLORIDA does have a different alcohol content......hence the difference in taste (3.2%) ICE BEERS can be 5%