Taxes on goods & water

abberboo

Mar 24, 2008
Hi everyone! Well here are my last two questions I am leaving tomorrow morning for the DR and am so excited.

First question, I drink water all the time. I want to know can I drink the water at my hotel or do I need to buy bottled water everywhere I go?

Second question, I cant seem to find anywhere online what I am allowed to bring back to the US (i.e how many bottles of rum) pertaning to liquor and also whatever I do buy (watches, tee shirts whatever) what happens when I leave in a week after being in the DR to come back home at customs do you like pay duties and taxes on everything - how does it work? Also I thought someone told me in customs on the way home we have to pay by check or cash no credit cards for any duties etc is that true too?

I ask b/c my travels to the Caribbean have always been on cruise lines and as many of you likely know, you can bring back a lot duty free per person on cruise lines.

Thx for any insights!

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
The issue of how much RUM has been contested many times....I've been blasted by the DR1 "regulars" before but here goes......

U.S. Customs in Fort Lauderdale Airport has allowed me 6 (SIX) bottles of rum, 750s or 700ml each. I carry them in a CLEAR PLASTIC Malibu Rum "beach bag" that was a give-away in the DUFRY Duty-Free months ago. I always have the receipt from the airport duty free visible in the bag...yet I have never had to produce it. The bag is a carry-on and materializes from my backpack (which is full of coffee every trip).

The LIMIT is 5 liters (according to FLL Customs)......6 X 750ml =4.5 LITERS according to them....I did 8 trips last year totaling over 20 weeks in the DR. Everytime I returned to the USA it's been SHOW AND GO!