how rare is the hispaniolan parrot

J

John Evans

Ive read on the internet that the parrot is only found in remote areas- ive lived here for one year almost and saw my first one about 3 weeks ago, now they seem to have taken up residence in a tree outside my bedroom window- very beautiful but but noisy buggers-(there seem to be about 6 of them) just wondering how common are these birds

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There used to be much larger flocks of them and they a re, indeed, quite noisy.

During mango season they flock to the trees for their food fest.

As for how many of them are there? Well, they are endangered as poor people rob nests to sell the young ones to people who keep them in cages. We used to have a sizable flock here in my neighborhood, but it is much much smaller since their favorite tree was cut down because of their raucous.

Enjoy them, they are colorful...

HB

Caz

May 15, 2004
A few years ago we used to have flocks of around 30 of both the parrots and parakeets flying overhead on a daily basis. Earlier this year they were down to 6,and now that I think about it, I haven't heard any for a week or so!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I think the largest concentration of parrots on the island are to be found in the national parks on the Cordillera Central and in the national park of Los Haitises.

The former are, as the name suggest, quite rugged and very well forested and isolated while the latter is easier to reach but beware of the mosquitoes. Los Haitises has mosquitoes by the boat load and they will eat you up alive!

Everywhere else their numbers are quite limited.

My, a few years ago I read a book written by the Italian author by the sur name of Taviani (don't remember his given name) titled "The Logs of Columbus" or something along those lines. As the title suggests, its a translation into English of the logs written by Columbus during his discoveries of the Americas, Hispaniola included.

According to Columbus there were so many parrots on the island that entire flocks would suddenly fly from the branches of trees forming what seemed to be giant clouds of pure parrots in the skies.

That was then, today the parrots are practically extinct on the western part of the island (as is the case with most animals officially known as "Hispaniolan XYZ"), and quite limited on the central and eastern parts.

Its quite a shame. :ermm:

-NALs

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Are we talking about those bright yellow with some red (sometimes green) bird that weave nests in colonies? I thought those were weaver birds (although I've heard them called Hispanola Parrot). They build in huge colonies and are very noisy but eat lots of mosquitos to raise their young. The colonies are fascinating to watch as they really seem to share the rearing of young. Each nest has an opening on the bottom (yes the bottom) with little woven shelves build in.) When the babies' hatch, light blue egg shells can be found under the trees where the colonies are located.

Is this one and the same species?? If so, we have many thousands of them in Juan Dolio.

J

John Evans

heres the little blighter

parrotHispan.jpg

i dont think he weaves nests though

Caz

May 15, 2004
No - the birds that weave nests are weaver birds!! The parrots and parakeets are more shy. Having said that - at the back of the Embazador hotel in SD there is a big tree where hundreds of parrots roost each night. Wonderful to see!!!

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
This is a cool bird, looks a lot like a pionus parrot!! must be from the same family
A beach vender had a little girl and she had two of them she would carry around with her, they spoke clearly and were adorable, but even just playing they were super loud.

i have a loud African grey, but these birds take the cake!!

Here the hispaniolan parrot sells for $1800, the beach vender said he had some for sale for $150us.
when tame they are really sweet & affectionate...i love them!!

George Holmes

Nov 15, 2006
dofieldwork.blogspot.com
The hispaniolan parrot (amazono ventralis) is endemic and fairly endangered. It is common in just a few locations, but otherwise pretty scarce. Breeding time is about now, and this is when the (highly illegal) wild egg collecting happens which is the source for almost all birds sold as pets. They do make excellent pets, and can talk, but they are endangered and the trade definately should not be encouraged.

Some good places to see them are in the national parks in the Cordillera Central, particularly Ebano Verde, and I have also seen them flying around the Gazcue part of SD.

If you want to know more, try contacting Kate Wallace, who runs bird watching tours in the DR - she is based in SD.