Gay in DR

ecsf

Feb 9, 2008
Hello all!

My partner told me not to post this but I just need to know. He is Dominican and for some really stupid reasons he will not be able to stay in the US. He will be moving back and I am thinking about moving to DR to be with him. We are not "Gay" in public and I have a very conservative family and we were able to not offend them on many occasions. So my question is how homophobic is the county? What about the people? I have meet many of his friends and we have done stuff here in the US but I have never visited DR. What do you think the hardest thing will be for us. Please any help or advice you can give would be great!

Thank you

ECSF

J

John Evans

I think most people are far too bothered getting on with their own lives to be bothered about what you and your partner may or may not do in the privacy of your home.

I've not come across anything yet...but I dont get out much lol

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Gay or straight, picking up and leaving a place you've lived all or most of your life is problematic, and I think that this is especially true of the DR. There are many posts in this Forum that detail the challenges you will face if you make the move. By all means take the advice of many here and read "Quisqueya. Mad dogs and English couple". I can understand that you want to be with the person you love, but don't pick up and leave home, just yet.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Hello all!

My partner told me not to post this but I just need to know. He is Dominican and for some really stupid reasons he will not be able to stay in the US. He will be moving back and I am thinking about moving to DR to be with him. We are not "Gay" in public and I have a very conservative family and we were able to not offend them on many occasions. So my question is how homophobic is the county? What about the people? I have meet many of his friends and we have done stuff here in the US but I have never visited DR. What do you think the hardest thing will be for us. Please any help or advice you can give would be great!

Thank you

ECSF

ecsf,

What's the stupid reason he is going home? would it be the same stupid reason you would want to go home? if you relocated to DR? is he missing his family? His friends? Then most likely you will miss yours as well!!

I suggest you take a holiday, go to DR for a couple months...and I suggest you do it during summer, see how to handle the weather conditions during the" hurricane season"

I as a tourist live it up during winter here in Canada, on the slopes and on the beaches in DR...but I am ignorant to what it would be like when the rain and tropical storms come through, and the weather turns against the beautiful country and it's people...Do yourself a favor, take a vacation and experience the DR before you pack it in.

As far as : how homophobic is the county? I have only visited Punta Cana & La Romana ...and it was not homophobic at all.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
If you read the OP carefully, he says his friend "will not be ABLE to stay in the US". Sounds to me like he is NOT moving to the DR by CHOICE.

Puts things in a bit of a different perspective, doesn't it?

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Relocating With Him

.... He will be moving back and I am thinking about moving to DR to be with him. We are not "Gay" in public....

Where will he go back to?

I guess you'd want to live in one of the big cities where your lifestyle will be much more tolerated.
In your case I would not consider the move permanent until you've spent a year or so in your new environment.

m'frog

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
agrreed. I know many gay couples who live in the capital who live pretty open (yet still discrete) lives. and not a problem. Especially in the capital.

THen again...i also know folks who wont go near el conde for fear of being "outted".

From what i have seen and what i have heard if one carrys oneself with dignity etc....it really isnt a big deal. It is a bit different out the campo tho. I've never had a problem...but again..i wasnt living there...just out for drinks with friends.

One thing i noticed on my last trip (boca chica) where many domincan lesbians. openly making out in the water etc.

besides the cities...tourist areas are more accepting of people. There are a few gay/lesbian run hotels and businesses in a few of the tourist towns.

good luck! just be carefull. I dont believe there are civil right for GLBT people in DR. I dont believe homosexuality is "illegal" but as long as you are low key i dont think people will care...they are too busy with their own business.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
As far as I know there is one public figure who is definitely homophobic, and that is Cardinal Nicolas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez.....no need to worry he does not hang out in clubs or resorts. :cheeky:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
lolol...that is TOO funny!!! a. and to think...my best friends last name is nicolas, my best friend in DR is Jesus, I have been dating a Lopez here for 5 years and i dated a Rodriguez for 8 years. Hmmmmmmm...i might have to look up on the Cardinal next time i am there. jejejee (sorry...couldnt resist the post...but it is all true!)

Last edited:
J

John Evans

im slightly confused ...you say you are not gay in public ....so how would anyone know.....errrrrrr....so theres no problem

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
im slightly confused ...you say you are not gay in public ....so how would anyone know.....errrrrrr....so theres no problem

It is not very hard to figure out. even with discression two men living together (or women) is apt to open some eyes. it IS possible...even in the DR. You just have to be carefull who you associate yourself with.

I think the bigger deal for the OP (as someone else said) is how will you adapt to the country in general. WHere will you find work? where will you live? have you been to the DR before? What will you do if your relationship crashes? Do you have a support network?

I am sure the OP will get some PM's. There are many regular posters who are gay but dont like to post openly on the public forums for obvious reasons (i think i am the only one).

For real...a special thanks to some of the regulars for NOT making this a clown show and not mocking the OP.

Last edited:

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
If you read the OP carefully, he says his friend "will not be ABLE to stay in the US". Sounds to me like he is NOT moving to the DR by CHOICE.

Puts things in a bit of a different perspective, doesn't it?

it definately does, thanks for pointing that out!:surprised