1080p tv?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Since there is little or no true hi-def tv transmission available on the North Coast, I'm wondering if it's a good or bad idea to get a 1080p tv for my new house. With the poor quality of cable transmission and the less than stellar reviews of satellite that I am reading, will 1080p exaggerate the poor picture quality?
-D

cdmotor

Apr 12, 2008
it shouldn't.

However, a 1080p set will cost more (3-500 depending on size), and it won't benefit you with any improved picture quality if you don't feed it a hi-def signal.

Hope that helps.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
The only advantages would be the size (if you opt for a large size - even a lower quality signal still looks great on my 52" LCD) and the fact that you would get 1080p quality if you fed Blu-ray DVD signals to the TV (preferably through a good quality HDMI cable).

Gregg

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
The only advantages would be the size (if you opt for a large size - even a lower quality signal still looks great on my 52" LCD) and the fact that you would get 1080p quality if you fed Blu-ray DVD signals to the TV (preferably through a good quality HDMI cable).

Gregg

If you don't mind, what do you have, and where did you get it? I can buy a 46' Sharp in NY for about 1500, and ship it for another $1,000. A Sony is about $500 more.

I have not seen them yet in the DR, although they must be available. - D

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
If you can get a great deal on a HDTV, then buy it. You can always pick up a Blue-Ray player or at least an upconverting HD-DVD player and enjoy some quality movies.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
If you don't mind, what do you have, and where did you get it? I can buy a 46' Sharp in NY for about 1500, and ship it for another $1,000. A Sony is about $500 more.

I have not seen them yet in the DR, although they must be available. - D

Hi Danny,

First of all I'm in Canada, but I have a Sony Bravia 52" LCD. I'm not exactly sure of the cost as I bought an installed home theatre package for a lump sum.

Gregg

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Hi Danny,

First of all I'm in Canada, but I have a Sony Bravia 52" LCD. I'm not exactly sure of the cost as I bought an installed home theatre package for a lump sum.

Gregg

I thought you were in the DR. I know that regular programming looks great on an HD TV. But with the lousy quality we sometimes get on the North Coast, I was wondering if that was still the case. - D

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Hi all.

I think you don't have to bring a TV here, Plasma House in SDQ has very good TV's and price is ok considering guarantee issues in case something happens, will be a hassle to ship it back.

Regarding quality ... I'm installing dishes and of course have one myself, if you use the right cables then the PPV's and newer movies almost come in HD quality, at least on my Plasma. Of course the type of TV is important as well, have seen so many during all my installlation but my Panasonic still has the best image for me.

Regards,
MZ

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I have been debating for some time to replace very old SONY 27 inch TV with a flat panel model. I recently saw what a Cable Del Norte signal looks like on a flat panel set. It was not good. That same signal looks far better on my old TV. I will wait until I upgrade my satellite receiver to an HD version or the TV dies.

By all means get the best TV you can, look to the future, but it will be far better served if you get a satellite set up capable of receiving HD signals.

Can you truly get a $1,500 US priced TV shipped in for only $1,000 US including shipping and all taxes? If so, I would like to know how it was done. I will also have to look into Webmacon's local source for TVs to see what they have available. I too have liked the Panasonic units that I have seen.

There seem to be standard maritime rates including taxes that are quoted by several shippers in NY. In fact, the girl in the office was reading from a printed sheet the rates for 52", 46"...etc. It seems to be pretty well defined.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Hi all.

I think you don't have to bring a TV here, Plasma House in SDQ has very good TV's and price is ok considering guarantee issues in case something happens, will be a hassle to ship it back.

Regarding quality ... I'm installing dishes and of course have one myself, if you use the right cables then the PPV's and newer movies almost come in HD quality, at least on my Plasma. Of course the type of TV is important as well, have seen so many during all my installlation but my Panasonic still has the best image for me.

Regards,
MZ

I have never had satellite in NY, and am completely confused by all of the technical discussions in this forum. The fact is that I don't really need HD, but since everything will be brand new in my new house, I would like to get 2 or 3 lcd tv - probably a 26", a 37" and a 46". What satellite system would you recommend? - D

Jan 9, 2004
Same rate in the Boston area

I have been debating for some time to replace very old SONY 27 inch TV with a flat panel model. I recently saw what a Cable Del Norte signal looks like on a flat panel set. It was not good. That same signal looks far better on my old TV. I will wait until I upgrade my satellite receiver to an HD version or the TV dies.

By all means get the best TV you can, look to the future, but it will be far better served if you get a satellite set up capable of receiving HD signals.

Can you truly get a $1,500 US priced TV shipped in for only $1,000 US including shipping and all taxes? If so, I would like to know how it was done. I will also have to look into Webmacon's local source for TVs to see what they have available. I too have liked the Panasonic units that I have seen.

I was quoted $1,000, door to door taxes included, for a 42" Samsung LCD TV. Appliances are cheaper. I paid $650 door to door, taxes included, to ship a huge side by side refrigerator and a gas stove this past July.

The concerns voiced in other threads about shipping and warranty problems are legitimate and need to be considered. However, the refrigerator in SD was at Plaza Lama for $2k USD and the stove was $800 USD w/out 16% ITBIS. Purchase price for both in the states was $1,500, plus $650 shipping=$2,150. With those savings I will continue to take my chances with my shipper.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I was quoted $1,000, door to door taxes included, for a 42" Samsung LCD TV. Appliances are cheaper. I paid $650 door to door, taxes included, to ship a huge side by side refrigerator and a gas stove this past July.

The concerns voiced in other threads about shipping and warranty problems are legitimate and need to be considered. However, the refrigerator in SD was at Plaza Lama for $2k USD and the stove was $800 USD w/out 16% ITBIS. Purchase price for both in the states was $1,500, plus $650 shipping=$2,150. With those savings I will continue to take my chances with my shipper.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Those were the prices I was quoted from NY. I think if i stick to the popular brands, then parts and repair will be easy enough to come by, so I'll ship them (TV, frerigerator and possible washer and dryer) from NY.

However, one occasionally comes a across a bargain in the DR. - D

Jan 9, 2004
By all means...

Those were the prices I was quoted from NY. I think if i stick to the popular brands, then parts and repair will be easy enough to come by, so I'll ship them (TV, frerigerator and possible washer and dryer) from NY.

However, one occasionally comes a across a bargain in the DR. - D

stay with known brands ( I am stiil laughing after seeing "Pisonic" TV's in the D.R.)

And, as a further line of defense before purchasing, I also used the reliability ratings found in Consumer Reports.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Plasma & Sat Dish

I have never had satellite in NY, and am completely confused by all of the technical discussions in this forum. The fact is that I don't really need HD, but since everything will be brand new in my new house, I would like to get 2 or 3 lcd tv - probably a 26", a 37" and a 46". What satellite system would you recommend? - D

Hi.

Fist of all read the difference between Plasma and LCD and you will really want to buy a plasma ....

For the Dish system, I install them .... best is Dish Network as DTV needs a 8 FT dish already to get a good signal .. you can get 3 Satellites with on 6 ft dish on dish network which brings you to about 600 channels including international channels and all look good having the right receiver and cables connected to your plasma.

If you are in Santo Domingo one day give me a call and have a look.

Regards,
MZ

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Hi.

Fist of all read the difference between Plasma and LCD and you will really want to buy a plasma ....

For the Dish system, I install them .... best is Dish Network as DTV needs a 8 FT dish already to get a good signal .. you can get 3 Satellites with on 6 ft dish on dish network which brings you to about 600 channels including international channels and all look good having the right receiver and cables connected to your plasma.

If you are in Santo Domingo one day give me a call and have a look.

Regards,
MZ

I have a plasma in NY. But lcd repair is much easier, if necessary. Do you do installations on the North Coast? - D