Welcoming Lager Louts?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The Scottish Daily Record must be setting the record for unsubstantiated reporting. According to them 'Holidaymakers looking for a cheap pint should head for the Dominican Republic, where it costs just THREE PENCE'.

New website lets travellers track the world's cheapest pint. - The Daily Record

The beer pricing website they refer to is this one where it indeed says that the cheapest beer in Puerto Plata is 3 pence a pint although the national average is 64 pence.
pintprice.com - The price of beer in Dominican Republic

The website is based on site user data and whoever gave them the info for Puerto Plata gave them a load of cobblers!:ermm: Gracious me, what are they trying to do? Attract lager louts?

And you thought Dominican papers were light on accuracy........;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
They import many English beers? 3p? (Quick calculation: 3p = RD$2)

Someone is definitely pulling their plonkers.

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
The Scottish Daily Record must be setting the record for unsubstantiated reporting. According to them 'Holidaymakers looking for a cheap pint should head for the Dominican Republic, where it costs just THREE PENCE'.
:ermm:Old or new Pence Could get drunk for a shilling or ratted for 2 bob:laugh::knockedou:D

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Firstly - how many UK newspaper web sites are you signed up to Lambada!!!

This is a real shame that the country is being reported in this way once again - I think from what I have seen on my last few trips there are more and more "undesirable Brits" discovering the DR.
Things like this in the paper only bring more larger louts to the country.

What a shame!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Firstly - how many UK newspaper web sites are you signed up to Lambada!!!

Oh I'm not signed up! But I occasionally surf UK papers to see what is being said about us here in the DR. I have written to the Editor as follows:

Dear Editor,

What precisely is journalist Alan Carson trying to achieve in his article New website lets travellers track the world's cheapest pint? Daily Record 12th. April 2008
New website lets travellers track the world's cheapest pint. - The Daily Record

A revamp of The Twilight Zone perhaps? A 'this is so ridiculous it's funny' story? Or is there a more sinister purpose? The mass exporting of destitute lager louts? Or could it be something as simple as Mr. Carson found the Pintprice.com website and didn't verify the acuracy of its claims?

I have lived in Puerto Plata for more than 15 years and never, in all that time has beer cost three pence. If you are interested in exactly what it costs a google search would have provided this (a medium sized bottle of beer purchased from a supermarket is around ?1).

To run a lead sentence such as 'HOLIDAYMAKERS looking for a cheap pint should head for the Dominican Republic, where it costs just THREE PENCE' is inept, inaccurate yellow (frothy) journalism. What if next time I write an article about Scotland for a Dominican newspaper I stated 'All the men wear skirts'? That would be a great boost for your tourism, too, wouldn't it?

I hope you will correct the error. Failing that we expats will immediately dispense lager lout repellant to all Dominican ports and airports.................

Sincerely tongue in cheek, :)

I haven't told them about this thread.......................yet!

morlandg

Feb 20, 2007
DR beer price

I have entered a price of 6GBP which recalculates the average price to 1.50 GBP which I believe is more correct. We cannot remove the incorrect entry of 3p for Sosua......

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Things like this in the paper only bring more larger louts to the country.
Not a problem, wishingiwasthere. Once here and drunk on 3p cerveza which is widely available they will follow your recommendation to take 20-kilometre rides on the back of motoconchos in the small hours of the morning. That will thin out their numbers soon enough.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I especially enjoyed this bit, quote from a representative of the pint-price comparison site:
"We believe this is the only price comparison website worth drinking to - as well as the only travel and short-break holiday guide you really need."

Puerto Plata brace yourself for the stag and hen parties, and others that only need a pint-price comparison as holiday guide .... ;)

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Attracting lager louts....

: Gracious me, what are they trying to do? Attract lager louts?

[/SIZE]

They are already being attracted by 14 nights all inclusive packages available at ?500 - ?600, unfortunately.

:ermm:

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I think it's much simpler... the pintprice website works with a wiki-format, all information provided by users. My guess is that most Puerto Plata visitors from the UK are all-inclusive resort visitors, so their beer was free (well, included in the package), and they put down 0.00 as pint-price.
That the journalist did not double-check the information.... well, it is the tabloid press...