Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sea Turtle in Cabarete

Anyone that saw it? I heard it was on the beach laying eggs outside bambu/onnos at midnight, guess she is a party animal... Politur seems to have protected her.

Took half a diazephan, so I was unfortunately a sleep...

Maybe somebody even have photos to share.

John Evans

what are they doing with the eggs is there a safe place to hatch them

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Evans View Post
    what are they doing with the eggs is there a safe place to hatch them
    Do not know, but I was just there. Two heavily armed guards protecting the eggs...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I was there last night! What an awesome site! She was huge. After doing a little Google this morning I have come to the conclusion, judging from the ridges on her back that she must be a critically endangered Leatherback species sea turtle.

I hope they keep guarding the nest. Too bad I won't be here when the little ones hatch and scramble back into the water.

John Evans

aparently they take 60 to 70 days to hatch ...thats a long watch

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Snowbird, thanks so much for the fotos.
    Sorry I missed seeing her out there!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Very Cool Encounter

The eggs make a really fluffy omelet, JUST KIDDING! Thanks for the pic snowbird.

Sollie

Post Thanks / Like

Let us hope that the community of Cabarete will protect these eggs and the hatchlings as they start to come out. this is a magnificent specimen of the Leatherback, a highly endangered species.
    How about it Cabarete people? Can you get out of your relaxed lifestyles and help protect this nest?

FYI: At Cap Cana there were some bird's nests on the beach, each identified, each protected. But that property is far, far from "ordinary" people!!

Come on, make sure they are safe!!

HB

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

snowbird44 Nice photo.s

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I missed that turtle last night, but about 10 years ago also a Leatherback turtle laid her eggs close to Camino del Sol hotel, east of Cabarete, right besides the sunchairs of the tourist.
    After we chased away some Dominicans trying to dig out the eggs, the hotel at that time also put 24 hrs watchman there and 65 days later 101 little turtles hatched and made it safely into the ocean.

Problem is that only very very few of the hatchlings will survive as they are very favourite food for all bigger fish in the ocean. The one or two survivors who grow up are crossing the oceans in search of a mate (very difficult to find one, as there are only very few left out there), it can take them 50 years or more to find a mate.
    Once they finally found a mate, the female comes back to the exact place where she was born and lays her eggs there.

Very facinating and nice to see that a Cabarete turtle made it and has now returned.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast