Shipping to Sos?a

oilers

Mar 1, 2008
What is the best way to ship some household items from Alberta Canada to Sousa ?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
He had to determine first if you wanted it shipped by marching band - :cheeky:

Gregg

P.S. - I know, but not an answer to your question either.

lacey

Mar 12, 2008
I would be interested as well. I am coming from Ontario and would like to know if anyone has recently shipped house hold items and if so what company did they use.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Gregg,

Any way you can edit the thread header so Sosua is properly spelled. It's a pet peeve of mine.

Oilman,

While it didn't answer your question, it may have opened up a series of new ones, such as have you done all the necessary research to make a move (if that's your intent) if you didn't get the name right?

Or perhaps it's just a typo, in which case I'm overstating things. Which has NEVER happened before. :glasses:

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Look in your area for moving companies that ship world wide. Give them a call.

In the States, we have used Allied Movers and been very happy with them. Packed up house/container and had agent in S.D. help us with customs and then trucked it to Sosua.

You can try to contact Mohammed Faiz in Boston to see if he has agents in your area. mfaiz@alliedintl-boston.com

Good Luck, Ringo

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Household items? Be more specific. This could mean anything.
Shipments don't go to Sosua...that I know of. You will have to contact a shipping company that delivers to Puerto Plata or Santo Domingo. Tropical shipping doesn't do LCL's, but you might find a company that can consolidate a container and ship it to Puerto Plata through Tropical.
If your household items are small maybe you can mail them?

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Hola,

I am Canadian and just shipped some items from Toronto to Puerta Plata.
I recieved the shipment recently!
The Canadian shipping company I used is located in downtown Toronto called... K-LAT Inc. 416-972-6738 www.klatinc.com

Delivery from Toronto to Puerta Plata took less that 14 days.

I used an amazing customs broker that many large Dominican companies hire to clear their items. A nice and trustworthy guy! I would not recommend you do it alone! He also found 2 delivery guys with a truck to help me transport the items at a fair and reasonable price.

Please PM me if you need further assistance.
I am willing to help anyone through the long process, by sharing my experience.

Good luck!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Hi. I'm always looking for a good shipper.

Perhaps you can give us more details? Many recent threads on DR1 indicate that many people from North America are interested in moving to the Domican Republic. They, and myself, would like to know more about good moving/shipping companies. Your web site is impressive but I like details and first hand experience.

I know that some shipments arrive into "Puerta Plata", but I have not been able to have my current U.S. agent make it happen. What line are you using?

What is the price and service provided? Insured and at what rate? I like "door to door". Pack stuff, load container, ship it, unload and work with customs... move to my place and unpack. Other then the "customs" part, all inclusive. No need to look for "2 delivery guys with a truck". All known before shipped. (Had 1 item over 1,000 lbs that needed to go to second floor with no stairs; had 15 guys waiting and got it done.)

Give details please, Ringo

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
The website I provided is a shipping company in Toronto, Canada that I used.
It cost $110 Cdn to ship a jumbo barrel. The barrel cost $35 Cdn.
You can contact them about cost for conatiners, etc.

Antillean was the line I used.

Every situation is different based on what and how much you are shipping, from what country and city, etc. Toronto is the most MULTICULTURAL city in the world so finding shipping companies/info to the Caribbean is easy! Your city might be a different story.

I dont know what country and city you are in and what you want to ship, but I will recommend you check your local yellow pages or Caribbean/latin ethnic papers like the SHARE in Toronto (it is VERY common for Caribbean people ship barrels to their families...I send barrels all the time to my family in another island) for shipping companies that ship to the city in DR, and talk to them about recommending a customs broker, if they pack and load the container etc.
Every company is different and offers different service.
You will need to do some homework.
I would highly recommend the customs broker I used....thanks Reese for the contact. As one North American large business owner I met at the port in Puerta Plata stated 'he is the best'!
I wanted to be there to clear the barrels myself because I have some experience from shipping things to another island. So I knew it was better for 'me' to be there for various reasons, even though I was in the office for a long time....but its the Caribbean so I expect to be on Island time, patience is necessary LOL.

It all depends on what you are shipping and shipping in. I shipped barrels, with larger items you will need containers.

New items will be taxed more, especially electronics.

Tell me more about where you are and what you plan to ship and maybe I can offer more details/info.