moving back to the DR?

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
I lived in the DR for the past 2 years with my Dominican husband, since a couple of weeks im back in my own country, because I always said I didnt want to stay in the DR for the rest of my life... So we are busy with his resident visa for here now, the plan was to stay here for 2/3 years and then move to a third country.
Now Im actually reconsidering living in the DR again, but there are a few (very important!) obstacles for me.

1. Work, I know its alot more difficult to get a job in the DR and the pay is way less. But thats not really important for me, I lived for the last 2 years on my husband dominican wages and although it wasnt much we managed.
What IS important for me is that I can find a job in something that is my dream... working in health education or development (think WHO, Red Cross etc.) ofcourse it doesnt have to be in one of those big organizations, but similar work. (I am not a medical doctor, I want to set up programmes, make plans, work in prevention, that kind of stuff)
I got my masters degree in psychology last year and just started working (since I got back in my country) and getting my first experience in this development work (or whatever u may call it)
Anyway, since I never really considered staying in the DR forever, I never really made an effort to see if it was possible for me to get this kind of job there (i just figured it was a no). Can anybody tell me if I would have a chance? or where I can even look for this kind of jobs in the DR? I lived in a tourist town and if u wanted work u just went to the bars and shops and asked for a job, but this is something completely different and I have no idea how to look for a job like this in the DR, can anybody help?

2. My spanish, I can speak spanish fairly well, but to get the position I want I have to speak perfect spanish on a high level and write reports in Spanish. Somebody gave me the advice already to read the newspaper everyday and look up every word and/or grammatical rule that i dont understand. In august Im also taking an advanced class in Spanish and other then that I practice spanish with my friends (but thats from a different kind of level). Does anybody have more tips to improve my spanish to a high level?

3. Children, right now we dont have any yet, but hopefully in the future. I think a good education is really important, but I also no the public school system in the DR sucks... I know that there are some really good private schools, but I think we wont be able to afford those. So are there any good schools in the DR that are also affordable for 'normal' people?

I would really appreciate any tips or thoughts, thank you!

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Do you watch Spanish TV? Read Spanish Books? Read El Pais from Spain or Clarin from Argentina. Both of those paper are written well.

Where do you live now?

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
Do you watch Spanish TV? Read Spanish Books? Read El Pais from Spain or Clarin from Argentina. Both of those paper are written well.

Where do you live now?

When I lived in the DR I watched spanish tv almost everyday, but here (in holland) we dont get any. Im living in Holland now, unfortunatly no too much spanish going around here, but trying to read a news paper in spanish at least once a week now. Going to the library tomorrow to see if they have any spanish books (im afraid they dont though) Got any tips for books? Ones that are not too difficult but not too easy either (harry potter level)
If I cant find anything here, I will probably be able to order them on the internet somewhere.

The only spanish books I've read so far were study books (like history and social sciences) from school from my neighbours in the DR and I started reading the bible (that was really difficult for me!)

Thanks for the names of good news papers :)

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
Thank you so much :) This will surely help me!

I went to the bookstore and library today and as I feared there are no spanish books here. But thanks to you I have enough spanish material for now.

Do you have any tips how I can improve my translation skills from english to Spanish? I have a grammar book, with excercises where I have to translate an english story to spanish and in the answer section I can check everything, its really helpfull and I learn a lot from it, but there are only a couple of excercises like this in the book and would like to practises in this more too.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
I'm confused!! Can't you get free lessons from your husband?? Like first hand lessons, the ones people like me would love to have??? Free of charge?

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
The way I do translation work is with a tudor. You said that you are starting school or taking lessons in August so that should help. Maybe you can start sooner???

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
Lol, ofcourse I practice with my husband, but the level I want my spanish to be on is not just good conversational spanish...
Ofcourse he helped me a lot in the beginning (and still does), but my spanish got to a level now that he cant explain stuff to me anymore (grammar wise).

Any yes, starting lessons in august, I wish they started sooner! They have classes that start in feb and august. In feb I was still in the DR, so now I have to wait until august :( No other courses around where I live...

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
I get it!!! well good luck!!hopefully you find a course!! My bird is picking up my "on line spanish class" quicker than i am!! oh Lord!