Car insurnace wants to fix a car that should be written off.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
I trashed my car a week ago Sunday. No one else or vehicle involved. Damage on both sides and underneath. All wheels are twisted and mangled, airbags deployed. One wheel with axle is completely removed from the car and happens to be the one ripped out from the engine. Windshield smashed etc. When I talked to my insurance company they said they could fix it. I do not believe it can be fixed. I asked my insurance company if they would guaranty it would be safe to drive. He said no. I said so you are going to fix a car that I can not drive nor sell? He said that is the way it works here. I had full coverage and am hoping for a write off. I spoke with my lawyer and showed him the pictures of the car. He suggested I tell the insurance company to write it off and not fix it as there is more then 75% damage. I have not yet mentioned to the insurance company what my lawyer has suggested. I'm waiting for them to call today or tomorrow with their plan. How does this actually work here in the Dominican Republic? Can I refuse to have it fixed? Can I ask for and expect it to be written off? Thanks in advance for your advice. Phil

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
the insurance company will send you to a shop to have it analyzed. You pay the workshop boss a few thousand pesos to have it written off as totaled. case closed.
AZB

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
free advice for dealing with insurance companies: start a paper trail. Do NOT deal with them over the phone about anything of significance, but make sure that everything they tell you, they tell you in writing.

This way, they can't keep changing their story, and if you eventually have to go to court, you;re not in a he said/she said situation.

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Repairs here are cheap in comparison to back home so they are probably thinking maybe severe but not enough to write off.
Becareful as well if they do write it off, thats only half the battle the second bit is the value they will put on it. Cars here are inflated and they my try to give you the value of the car without the duty that would be payable here.
Get a good lawyer and try to remember everything takes longer here, don't expect it to be quick.
Skippy1

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
if he had full-insurance then value of the car is already predetermined. mine is insured for 700.000 RD and that's how much i'm gonna get in case of a write-off or if the car is stolen. (at least i was told so ;))

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
the insurance company will send you to a shop to have it analyzed. You pay the workshop boss a few thousand pesos to have it written off as totaled. case closed.
AZB

Even better...tell the workshop boss to take some parts that are undamaged. No money out of your pocket... -"Esa baina sirve..." -"tabien, tabien primo"

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
if he had full-insurance then value of the car is already predetermined. mine is insured for 700.000 RD and that's how much i'm gonna get in case of a write-off or if the car is stolen. (at least i was told so ;))

I hope you never have to put it to the test

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Thanks everyone for your help. It's stated in my policy that the car is worth 600,000 peso's. But like Skippy1 said, let see what happens. thanks again. Phil

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com

Sorry, probably not.
Read the fine print. It will most likely tell you that at time of financial restitution, the pay out can not be higher than the insured value or the actual value of the vehicle at the time of the loss, which ever is LOWER. Some contracts may even read a percentage depreciation per year from the initial insured value.
They may also reserve the right substitute with a vehicle of equal style and value instead of a cash payout.
It may also tell you that it is the insured responsibility to periodically adjust the insured value to "real" value so not to over pay premium.

... J-D.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Phil, so sorry to learn of your wreck. I am happy to hear that your OK. If you want name and # of a very good, reliable, honest and trustworthy mechanic let me know. His shop is in Sosua, not sure if this is convient for ya/ or where your vehicle is... He is also a foriegner.
I don't want to encourage you enaging in curruption. If your SUV is that bad then it shouldn't be a problem diagnosing it as a "total".

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
The insurance company called yesterday and told me it will be written off. The report will be created and sent to Santo Domingo and we should hear back by Thursday. Apparently corporate has to confirm the field persons report before they agree to write it off. One down and ? to go. Thanks everyone for your help. Phil