Roco Ki and Fairmont make it official

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts And Roco Ki To Develop New Luxury Resort

Dominican Republic Development Welcomes Fairmont Roco Ki
<text></text>PUNTA CANA, Macao, Dominican Republic | Roco Ki, the ultimate luxury residential and resort community being developed in the Punta Cana region of the Dominican Republic, is welcoming the addition of Fairmont Hotels & Resorts, a global leader in luxury hospitality. Fairmont Roco Ki, anticipated to open in 2010, will join picturesque beachfront properties, tropical villas and The Faldo Legacy Golf Course. The resort will offer spectacular vistas of the Caribbean Sea and the Nick Faldo-designed 18-hole championship golf course, which winds along the beach through a dense mangrove forest and stretches across the property’s headland with stunning cliff-top views of the turquoise sea.

Upon completion, Fairmont Roco Ki will include a 255-room hotel, Fairmont Residences - a collection of condominiums, villas and estate homes - and Fairmont Heritage Place, a private residence club. The resort will also feature restaurants and bars, 17,500 square feet of meeting space, a 15,000-square-foot Willow Stream Spa and fitness area and pool and beach facilities.

The area overflows with natural beauty, from the thick, green mangrove forest and magnificent limestone cliffs, to the turquoise waters that gently kiss the untouched sands of Macao Beach. Fairmont, with its award-winning commitment to responsible tourism and sustainable hotel management, compliments the eco-friendly community.

Chris Cahill, Fairmont's President and COO, stated, “We look forward to working with Roco Ki to develop this community in Punta Cana, an area which promises exceptional experiences for our guests. Like all our properties, Fairmont Roco Ki will afford guests a chance to create lasting memories in distinctive surroundings. With over a century of hospitality excellence to build on, we look forward to creating unforgettable experiences for years to come.”

Future phases of Roco Ki will see the development of a full-service, world-class marina and additional hotel, residential, shopping and recreational areas.

<hr size="1">
ABOUT FAIRMONT HOTELS & RESORTS
A leader in the global hospitality industry, Fairmont Hotels & Resorts is an extraordinary collection of luxury hotels which includes iconic landmarks like The Fairmont Banff Springs, Fairmont Monte Carlo and New York's The Plaza Hotel. Fairmont hotels are one-of-a-kind properties where sophisticated travellers can discover culturally rich experiences that are authentic to the destination. Situated in some of the most exclusive and pristine areas in the world, Fairmont is committed to responsible tourism and is an industry leader in sustainable hotel management with its award-winning Green Partnership program.

CONTACT
Lori Holland
Phone: 212-715-7098
Email: lori.holland@fairmont.com

ORGANIZATION
Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Inc.
Hotel Reservations: Luxury Hotel Reservations by Fairmont Resort Hotels
Canadian Pacific Tower - 100 Wellington Street West - Suite 1600
Toronto, M5K 1B7
Canada
Phone: (416) 874-2600
Fax: (416) 874-2601
Email: investor@fairmont.com

Last edited:

shoegazer

Apr 13, 2008
How depressing.

There go my visits to Macao beach.

What a shame that the government is going to sell all the nice beaches to resorts.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
How depressing.

There go my visits to Macao beach.

What a shame that the government is going to sell all the nice beaches to resorts.
(Dominican Spanish)
ya yo lo he dicho y lo vuerrrvo a repeti'...

llegara un tiempo en que tendremo' que PAGAR pa' pode' i' a una playa a coge' fre'co.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
English

I have said it before and I will say it again..

There will come a time when we will have to pay to go to a dominican beach.

shoegazer

Apr 13, 2008
(Dominican Spanish)
ya yo lo he dicho y lo vuerrrvo a repeti'...

llegara un tiempo en que tendremo' que PAGAR pa' pode' i' a una playa a coge' fre'co.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
English

I have said it before and I will say it again..

There will come a time when we will have to pay to go to a dominican beach.

That shouldn't be funny but it is, cos it's true.
I think it is such a shame.
I mean, I realize that tourism is a really big part of the economy here.
Though most of the earnings leave the country, so really, I just don't understand the government.

Quick initial money for the whole sale of land, I guess, right?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
My goodness, more depressing is the pessimistic attitude of you two in this thread, and many in the board in general.

The parts of the coast in red are approximately the areas that are currently under touristic economic activity.

rdplayashy1.jpg

Yeup, the entire coast is at risk of being privatized. :cheeky:

Hm, something tells me that most of the beaches are not being privatized and even in the areas that are devoted to tourism, there are places where the beach is open to all (ie. El Cortecito in Bavaro, Playa Long Beach in Puerto Plata, Boca Chica beach, etc).

-NALs

cdmotor

Apr 12, 2008
That's what a realtor told me....

Isn't all beach land (the actual sand part) in the DR still the property of the government?

It is my understanding that the big resorts on the east coast do not own the land all the way into the water.

There is some sort of easement that exists, no?

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Isn't all beach land (the actual sand part) in the DR still the property of the government?

It is my understanding that the big resorts on the east coast do not own the land all the way into the water.

Eso es lo que ELLOS, dicen. But I have heard many dominicans complain that when they go to the beaches, Hotel owners refuse to allow them in...well, I do understand though, that the reason why is because most dominicans are noisy and trashy.

shoegazer

Apr 13, 2008

Yes, but there is a big difference between saying and doing.
Technically, no, the beaches are not supposed to be private...
But that doesn't mean that there aren't people there trying to keep people off.
Some resorts do try to keep non-guests off the beaches - and especially the locals.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
...it's not exactly like it is all beach.

Or particularly nice beach, such as Macao is.
There are about 1,300 kilometers of coastline and approx. 500 kilometers are beaches, or about 38%.

Of those, using Google Earth to measure the length of the most popular beaches in the country, I get the following (numbers have been rounded):

Las Terrenas: 5 kilometers
Sos?a: 1 kilometer
Dorada (including Costa Dorada resort area): 4 kilometers
Cofres?: 1 kilometer
Costambar: 1 kilometer
Bavaro (from the Barcelo Resorts to the bluffs of Roco Ki): 20 kilometers and only half is currently devoted to tourism (Macao beach is roughly another 20 kilometers, but its overwhelmingly undeveloped and are excluded from the count)
Boca Chica: 3 kilometers
Cabarete: 5 kilometers
Bayahibe: 2 kilometers
Guayacanes/Juan Dolio: 8 kilometers

Approximate total of kilometers currently devoted to tourism: About 50 kilometers (not excluding the half of Bavaro that is undeveloped).

That's roughly 10% of the coast that is beach, and about 4% of the coast in general.

Whatever beaches have been left out are currently insignificant to the tourist trade since the vast majority of Dominican resorts are heavily concentrated in 2 beaches (Dorada and Bavaro). In other words, those beaches have the highest concentrations of rooms and it would be safe to assume that those two beaches are visited by at least 60% (guess) of all beach holiday tourists, maybe more or a little less.

96% of the entire coast is not at risk of being privatized.
90% of the beaches in the country are not at any significant risk of being privatized either and the stretches of beaches that are currently under plan of development certainly don't add up to 10% of the total, but in the rare event that they do add up to such percentage, that would still leave 80% of all beaches undeveloped!

Plus, the vast majority of the tourist developments under proposal and under construction (judging by actual number of projects and by the overall value of the projects as well) are occurring in Bavaro/Punta Cana and/or Guayacanes/Juan Dolio.

I don't see the point for being so pessimistic when not much is being devoted to such an important economic activity.

Edited to add: Keep in mind that the most popular beaches for Dominicans (Boca Chica, Long Beach in Puerto Plata, Sos?a, Cabarete, etc) hotels/resorts don't restrict access to them.

The beaches with the greatest tourist developments happens to be the beaches were not popular with Dominicans in general and became popular with everyone (locals and foreigners) after the development was initiated, not before.

-NALs

Last edited:

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
Eso es lo que ELLOS, dicen. But I have heard many dominicans complain that when they go to the beaches, Hotel owners refuse to allow them in...well, I do understand though, that the reason why is because most dominicans are noisy and trashy.

Tis true, unfortunately...

shoegazer

Apr 13, 2008
Nice post, NALS.

But I still don't see why people cannot be pessimistic. It isn't like I'm just some foreigner moaning about it...I have quite a large base of beach-going Dominican friends. Most of them don't like what happens to the beaches when they get turned into resort areas.

Macao is in fact, a favorite of quite a few Dominicans I know and this has not been happy news to them.
I remember the fit they had when there was rumor of Bahia de las Aguilas (sp? I think I have it right) was under threat.