Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just Curious...what do you do in this situation?

Hey guys...just got back from my trip and just wanted some opinions re something that happened to me at the airport in Santiago...I almost missed my plane with this bullshyt

Checked my bags and entered the airport to have my passport and ticket checked. I have been to the DR 5 times in the last 9 months and never had a problem...Well, I get to the counter and heres what happened...

The woman at the counter asks me where I am traveling to, so I tell her
    SHE LOOKS AT ME AND LOOKS AT MY PASSPORT
    She asks me if I am Dominican, I tell her no
    She asks me if my parents are Dominican, I tell her no
    She asks me if I have a Dominican boyfriend, I tell her no
    She calls over a guy from another counter
    HE LOOKS AT ME AND LOOKS AT MY PASSPORT
    They are discussing the situation in Spanish as if I am not standing there and as if she just did not asks me a gazillion questions in Spanish that I understood and answered just as fluently.
    They are saying "but this is her picture"
    HE LOOKS AT ME AND LOOKS AT MY PASSPORT
    The guy then asks me a ton of questions re where I was born, who issued my passport, who issued my residency visa, who I was visiting, my birthdate,etc
    THEY LOOK AT ME AND LOOK AT MY PASSPORT
    He then nods his head to the woman and she walks into the Immigration office there inside the airport, she comes out with another woman...she hands my passport to the other woman
    WHO LOOKS AT ME AND LOOKS AT MY PASSPORT
    Again with the questions
    She asks me for some other form of identification which I did not have because I was taking my DL the first 3 times I went but everyone always just needed the passport so I stopped taking it
    She aks me for my address in DR and I tell her
    She asks me alot of the same questions that the man did, and I answer
    I am getting scared
    She asks me again for another form of identification and I explained that I had ALREADY told them that I didn't have any....
    Finally, while she is talking with the guy I ask them in English "Can I call my friend because I am going to miss my plane"

She finally says no, it's ok, and signs and stamps a bunch of shyt and lets me go.
    They tell me it is because my passport says that I was born in 1975 and that I do not look 32 years old
    That cannot be it as I have never had a problem before
    HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE...WHAT DO YOU DO IF THEY DON'T LET YOU ON THE PLANE? WHAT HAPPENS THEN?

Anyway, next time I go...I will be taking my DL and my Hospital badge from where I work here as to avoid any misunderstandings

Also my friend told me next time to act like I don't understand a word of Spanish...so hopefully that will help also

Just wanted to see if this was unusual or if it happens all the time

Thanks guys...
    I am now so depressed to be back

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they thought you were a drug mule. Seriously.

I have a very common WASP name. Some guy with the same name must have done some bad things, because EVERYTIME I check in at the airport, regardless of where it is, my passport disappears behind the ticket counter and into the Supervisory Inner Sanctum, and a mucky-much comes out, looks at me, and enters a password into the "system". A lesser version happens at both US and DR Immigration.

I just roll with it.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

i had something similar happen to me when i was boarding my flight from JFK to SDQ in february. the airline agent scannned my boarding pass and looked at my passport. it should have taken 10 seconds at most but he began to analyze my passport and looked at it curiously, staring at my picture and flipping through the pages. im canadian but surely he's seen a canadian passport before. as with you, the airline agent kept looking at me and then the passport, then at me, then the passport. i was starting to worry that there was something wrong and that i would miss my plane bc i was the last one waiting to get on. a few minutes later, he gives my passport back to me and says "you're 25? you dont look 25. you look like a teenager." he smiled and lead me towards the plane.

was all that because he thought that i didnt look my age? weird.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I am going to take it as a compliment now.
    But at the time, I was pretty upset...
    HHHMMMMMM...now what can I do to make myself look 32???

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKing View Post
    HHHMMMMMM...now what can I do to make myself look 32???
    Get hooked up with a sankie. That'll put a few psychic years on you...

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't need to get pass your second paragraph to see the issue. Cobraboy was correct, they assume you to be a mule. 5 times in 9 months is suspect activity.

I've traveled quite a bit, the only time I've ever been stopped or questioned I was alone. The ONLY you can do is keep your cool and tell the truth. The last thing you want to do is talk that "I know my rights" crap and get loud and irate. It means nothing to them and if I'm not mistaken, you can be held until they decide otherwise.

Just suck it up as the cost of doing business

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

You do exactly what you did: answer their questions politely and accurately. They're doing their job, and their job is to flag anything they think is suspicious.

Nothing to get upset about -- you did good.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, if your picture in the photo gallery is recent I would say you would be easy to be mistaken as Dominican and you look young and cute- definitely under 30. I once, about 5 years ago was left waiting while thy took my passport in to an office. 2 flights of tourists were processed through and I was left there waiting. Everytime I asked what was going on, all i got was shrug of the shoulders. Finally my passport was brought out of the room, handed to me, and the guy said "enjoy your visit to our country. " 2 hours total.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Profiling

Is not legally allowed in the U.S., although they do it. Here, they do it. If your passport for whatever reason raised a red flag to the agent, he/she was being careful to avoid a fine to the airline, which is very expensive, and protect his/her job as well, most likely. Get one of those fines charged to the agent and they are generally out the door in a heartbeat. Maybe you do not look your age, I have no idea about that. Maybe it was a 'bad hair day' when photo was taken, I have no idea. I wouldn't worry about it, you made your flight, you already say you miss the country, so............anyway. Sounds like from your responses you were straight up and honest and they had no where to go from there. The DR immigrations people, in my opinion, are much less intimidating than the asinine inspectors in the US and the TSA goons. They (in DR) may try to extract a few bucks at times, but if you know your rights and hold your ground, they'll usually back off. If not, call a supervisor from the airport authority, not from the government agency giving you a hard time.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

You could always bring your mum to vouch for you and get out the baby album, I am sure she would love the Idea.....lol
    Skippy1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast