?Hola! Introduction and question on living in the DR short term (m)

n3rdchik

Apr 15, 2008
First off - I am so happy to find this site! It has been a wealth of information.

Currently, I am in Michigan, where I work for a tech company and raise my two boys. Our local adoption agency has started a pilot program in the DR and this really appeals to our family for a number of reasons, including the required residency period - what an opportunity to immerse ourselves and learn about a different culture (one that will be ours). Currently, I am doing a "feasability study" - whether the hubby and I can work remotely and afford to relo for 6+ months, and the hows and wheres. Also a "fact check" - what the waitlist in CONAMI is like and how realistic the timeframes are, etc. (I know for India, the only developing country I have experience with, you always multiply the timeframe by 2 or the cost by 10)

The big question I have for the time being is Internet access - I need reliable access on a regular basis - What would be the most cost effective -Would I need to rent a small office space or is this feasable in a DR middle-class home? And would it be reasonable to find a safe, comfortable 3-4 BR condo/home near said internet access for under $1500 USD/month? Or am I pie-in-the-sky here?

Gracias -
Marka

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Basic domestic internet access including phone costs about US$50 a month. The reliability can be questionable depending on where you are located, in Costambar (Puerto Plata) it is on 80%+ of the time.

As regards condo/house rentals a good place to start is drlistings.com which has tools to search by location, type etc.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you are talking Santo Domingo, that's a 'maybe' ....regarding the rent.
If you are talking Santiago San Francisco or La Vega it's a yes.

Internet access can be very good, but it depends on where you live.

As far as CONANI waiting times are concerned, you are talking a few years, minimum, at last word..

Good Luck,

HB