La Cuarenta / Km 9 jails

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Does anyone have old photos or information about Trujillo's jails / torture centers La Cuarenta and Km. 9?

I think that La Cuarenta was knocked down and replaced by a church, and was located in Santo Domingo somewhere north of John F Kennedy Expressway and west of Ave Maximo Gomez, and that there is a plaque to commemorate this location.

It is also mentioned in stories about the Mirabels that they went to a "La Cuarenta" in Puerto Plata - was this another jail by the same name, or the same facility in Santo Domingo?

The Km. 9 jail was somewhere east of Santo Domingo along Las Americas on the way to the airport, and that many victims/ remains were then reported to have either fed to the sharks in the ocean or taken to San Isidro air base for destruction of the evidence - does this building still exist, or does anyone know the exact location of this former torture center?

These two jails were used by Trujillo's SIM personnel to torture and kill thousands of Dominicanos who were suspected by El Jefe of something against him, but there is very little information about this available. Is this because there are still former SIM members living in the DR, whom people still fear?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
While folks are remembering the anniversary of Trujillo's execution, has this jogged anyone's memory about my original question above?

edward0383

Jan 31, 2011
House of Corpses in Santiago

This is not in regards to la "Cuarenta", but rather to a story I
used to hear from my neighbors as a young boy while living in
Pekin, Santiago. They used to tell me about a house Trujillo own
and brought his mistresses to. The story goes that there was a pit
at the back of the house where the SIM would disposed of the
bodies of Trujillo's victims. They told that when people had excavated
there (in the late 80's), they'd found hundreds of human skulls and bones.
Does anyone know if this is true or just another myth attributed to
El Jefe?