Married to a Dominican - seeking for citizenship

schnuffidog

Sep 2, 2003
I am a Canadian woman and married to a Dominican man. Can anybody please give me information on what is involved to become a Dominican citizen.

As well, can I hold dual citizenship?

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Women Only

I am a Canadian woman and married to a Dominican man. Can anybody please give me information on what is involved to become a Dominican citizen.

Money and a little patience.
Little, because it's a facilitated process (for women only).
See:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/60404-dominican-nacionality.html

Constitution, Article 11 (3):
"La mujer extranjera que contrae matrimonio con un dominicano seguir? la condici?n de su marido, a menos que las leyes de su pa?s le permitan conservar su nacionalidad, caso en el cual tendr? la facultad de declarar, en el acta de matrimonio, que declina la nacionalidad dominicana."

Just curious: Why would one get Dominican citizenship?

m'frog

Last edited:

schnuffidog

Sep 2, 2003
We are living in Canada right now, but would like to relocated to the DR. Rather than going through the whole process of becoming a residence, I thought it would be easier and quicker to obtain the Dominican citizenship. Therefore I like to find out what the process is. Thanks though for the info.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The wife of a Dominican citizen gets the Dominican citizenship by default, so do any biological children of such marriage. In the case of a Dominican woman marrying a non-Dominican the situation is a little more stressful...

Any child (no matter the age) born to a Dominican male can claim his/her Dominican citizenship at any time! No need to get residence or anything like that...