Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Strange Habits and Beliefs in the DR

I am married to a Dominican and live with him and his kids and run a colmado and sometimes I think I am getting close to understanding the way Dominicans think differently to us Europeans. Not wrong, just different. However, as I have mentioned before, Juan Dolio has many Haitians and I have many Haitian customers and friends and their way of thinking is completely different to Dominicans.

Example one. Friend for about 6 years, Haitian, been here for 2 years, left to come to DR for a better life and spotted girlfriend kissing his best friend in Haiti, so argued with girlfriend and best friend and came here. 2 years later girlfriend turns up 7 months pregnant. Says baby is his. This guy is clever. Speaks 4 languages fluently and is hoping to go to university in France. Whole life comes crashing down as now has 'wife' and baby on way. I say "excuse me but how can the baby be yours when you left 2 years ago". He explained that there is something called a 'tropical syndrome' that the woman becomes pregnant but because she is so sad and missing the baby's father the baby goes into hibernation in the womb for up to 2 or 3 years. (I think this is what Sharia law says too). Baby is born, and because he argued with his best friend, God has repaid him by making baby look like best friend to remind him of his harsh words he said to best friend all his life. He cannot be convinced that it is not his child, and other Haitians I have spoken too have agreed with him that he his is right about this 'Tropical Syndrome".

Number 2. 58 year old Haitian man has lost his 2 front teeth. Solution should be visit to dentist and get bridge fitted. No. You have all top teeth pulled out by local Haitian priest, 4 each Sunday. With pliers. No anaesthetic. Then you wait for another Haitian to die and then they take his top set and give it to you. He has been waiting 4 months for his new top set but things are looking good as another Haitian is gravely ill with 'sugar' so his luck could be in soon.

I offered to pay for him to go to local 'proper' dentist but no, this is the way it is done.

Comments? Other examples? Any idea how to understand the Haitian mentality?

Matilda

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I simply refuse to believe the "tropical syndrome" bit...I mean, yes, they're into voodoo and all, yet this is too much...

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Shortened Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    ... He explained that there is something called a 'tropical syndrome' that the woman becomes pregnant ...
    Yes, but I am only willing to believe that part...

mountainfrog

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I lost my dad 2 yrs before i was born , he died in 1st world war , my mum says he was a good man

On Vacation
    Post Thanks / Like

is this guy full of it or does he have a point?

PS. the thing about "Latin Lovers" is hilarious.
    Last edited by liam1; 04-15-2008 at 08:52 PM. Reason: PS.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

"All men are created equal, yet there is a natural aristocracy among men." Thomas Jefferson

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

You can't judge your experience with a few haitians as representative of the whole Haitian people. I bet there are people in puerto rico, that wonder "The way Dominicans think" I am from NYC and my peers wonder "The way country people think".

So let's not use the example of a few haitians to represent the whole because you'll run across this type of behaviour in probably most Third-World countries and even some eccentric ones in the US and Europe, so please give me a break.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steven colombus View Post
    i know some haitians i never knew they are dumb, wow
    No offense, but there is a big difference between "dumb" and "ignorant". I also have quite a few examples of crazy stuff a lot of campesinos believe. Then again I have some examples of nonsense that some country people back home in South Carolina believe.

The problem is lack of education that creates a "vacuum" of knowledge about topics that leads people to perpetuate longstanding erroneous beliefs or create new ones to try to understand something.

Believe it or not, with these type of people, sometimes doing the exact opposite of what they need to do seems the most logic, as is they figure that if common sense and logic require a certain solution then it can't be good because it is too simple, therefore they must choose a solution which they can't understand. I see this as a way many ignorant people think and have seen this in action too. Quite unfortunate too, let's just hope that the UN doesn't quit on Haiti and if they have to hold their hand until kingdom come until they can establish a more effective gov't. than so be it.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo900 View Post
    You can't judge your experience with a few haitians as representative of the whole Haitian people. I bet there are people in puerto rico, that wonder "The way Dominicans think" I am from NYC and my peers wonder "The way country people think".

So let's not use the example of a few haitians to represent the whole because you'll run across this type of behaviour in probably most Third-World countries and even some eccentric ones in the US and Europe, so please give me a break.
    Thanks for the timely post. It's not a good idea to make generalizations about people.

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

I was not trying to say that Haitians were stupid - far from it. The preganancy thing is also the case in strict Muslem (Sharia) law. They believe it too (I think), and when I discussed whether a woman could really be pregnant for 2 years with doctors from the UK and USA they didn't dismiss it out of hand, as I did. I just wanted to know if anyone else had any experience of that way of thinking too, or knew where the Sharia law came from?

The teeth thing is also interesting as when my grandfather signed up to go to the front for the first world war - he was 18 - the first thing they did was pull all his teeth out, also without anaesthetic - as they didn't want anyone getting toothache in the trenches. He has false teeth when he was 18 years old. Plus ca change.

Matilda

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast