Updated Info on Dolphin Island vs Manatee Park

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Can anyone provide some updated info on the situation with the Punta Cana attractions of Dolphin Island and Manatee Park? I've searched the archives and came up with mixed reviews. Then I saw a post saying that Ocean World was taking over the two. We are headed out that way in the next couple of weeks and have two birthday boys who are trading parties in lieu of getting to go swim with dolphins. Any hints, $ amounts, etc. would be greatly appreciated. TIA!
paz y salud,
DrChrisHE

Soles-Morena

Apr 14, 2008
Hey there
Well im thinking your going to punta cana...
so forget about ocean world. thats not in punta cana. Now manatee park to swim with the dolphins costs 85 $ per person and u get to swim with the dophins for 6 minutes in a tiny little pool. After that u can have the whole park to look at monkeys and tigers and etc..
For dolphin Island it will cost 110$ to swim with the dolphins for 25 mins in the ocean. In the end they will also offer a 30 photo cd rom and a picture for 20 $ of the kids swimming with the dolphins. If you go just to watch and NOT swim it will cost you 20 $ .
for both attractions the kids have to be 8 years and older. I prefer dolphin island, and alot of my clients prefer it over manatee park!
hope i was any help, if u need some more let me know

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I heard that dolphin island lost it's dolphins in the tidal surge around 3-4 weeks ago.

Maybe someone can confirm this? Mike?

I would avoid Manatee Park, they don't have the best track record.

By far the best place to swim with dolphins is Ocean World, it's light years ahead of anything else in the DR.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Hello DRchris,

We have to been to both, Everyone seems to promote Dolphin Island because it's in open water,but still they are caged in.

We thought Manatee park was much better, we swam with the Dolphins for about 20 minutes, the dolphins pulled the girls in the water and were much more playful. We didn't feel rushed with them at all and there were 6 people in the pool with 3 dolphins.

I was able to take as many pictures as I wanted, and of course they had pictures you could purchase, with 2 dolphins giving you a big smooch one on each cheek!!

I bought the cd from Dolphin Island and came home and it was corrupt, there were no pictures on the CD, which was sad!! And because you are not allowed to take any pictures from the sidelines we didn't end up with Any.

We spent almost a full Day at Manatee park, we encountered a couple of snakes on out trail our guide was quick to shoo them off...it was awesome, I felt like we were walking through the jungle...they have some amazing birds, the Toucans were very cool, one was trying to get at my daughters hair...Overall Manatee Park will leave you pleasantly fulfilled, our bus dropped us off at 10:00 am, and we left at 6 but we weren't ready to leave!!

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
THANK YOU EVERYONE!! This is ALL very helpful information. The boys are practically bursting at the seams to do this. I'll let you know which we go to as it definitely won't be both (it's already a stretch for one!) I really appreciate the prices, the personal opinions, etc. Our boys are 10, 13 and almost 18 (it is the younger two that are excited--the eldest is a bit too cool for life right now;)

The reason I mentioned Ocean World is that in an older DR1 post there was a discussion thread that said that they would be taking over the Manatee Park and Dolphin Island establishments. I guess that hasn't happened.

Any other info is welcome. TIA!
paz y salud,
DrChrisHE

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
1. Contact the North Coast Crowd for very reasonable accommodations or take 3 days in an AI
(We all have to do that at least once in our lives - you can get special local prices at one of the Rui Hotels - make sure a Dominican person makes the reservation for you - they have a problem with accents .. you need a cedula for local pricing).
Hotels Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic - Riu Hotels & Resorts

2. Buy tickets to Ocean World.
With a cedula you can get local prices

3. Get on the bus to Santo Domingo .. change to Puerto Plata .. Get off in front of the hotels .. have a good time, they have shuttles to Ocean World.

A little money, a few days (4 would be perfect) and go to Ocean world.

(This is Chris who does not believe in keeping any animal in captivity! and if you keep marine animals in captivity, the marine Gods will get you!) Go to Ocean World!

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
THANK YOU EVERYONE!! This is ALL very helpful information. The boys are practically bursting at the seams to do this. I'll let you know which we go to as it definitely won't be both (it's already a stretch for one!) I really appreciate the prices, the personal opinions, etc. Our boys are 10, 13 and almost 18 (it is the younger two that are excited--the eldest is a bit too cool for life right now;)

The reason I mentioned Ocean World is that in an older DR1 post there was a discussion thread that said that they would be taking over the Manatee Park and Dolphin Island establishments. I guess that hasn't happened.

Any other info is welcome. TIA!
paz y salud,
DrChrisHE

I'd be happy tpo email you some pictures of the girls swimming with the Dolphins at Manatee Park if you would like...just pm me!:classic:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Manati Park has a terrible reputation for their treatment of their dolphins. After promising reforms and renovations to improve conditions the ownership ended up doing nothing substantial except opening up a new facility, Dolphin Island. Yes the two facilities share ownership and utilize the same dolphins which have been reported as traumatized at Manati Park. IMHO neither of these facilities are worthy of support by tourists with an conscience who truly care about the treatment of these wonderful mammals.

The only dolphin facility in the DR which I will recommend is Ocean World in Cofresi. They have a wonderful park with caring handlers and trainers who are overseen by marine biologists who make the final decisions regarding all aspects of mammal care. The British Tour Operator Thomson's operates day trips from Punta Cana (flight/bus) to Ocean World and of course if you are on the North Coast, your transportation is included from most areas.

Gregg

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
FireGuy, thank you for sharing that information, thats great to know!

Of course no one would willingly support or contribute to any kind of animal abuse. I do have a conscience, as do many of the tourists that have been through those gates, How is one to know the animals have been mistreated, and traumatized ?

i just did a goodle search...and its very sad what i have discovered!!

Thanks again for bringing awareness, it's much needed and overdue!

Last edited:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
As Gregg mentioned, there are excursions now available from Punta Cana to Ocean World with a flight in the morning and return flight in the afternoon. The price I've been told is of US$275 including flights, transportation and entrance to Ocean World.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Is this $275 per person? so a couple with 3 kids, you would be looking at paying approx $1375...ouch!!! pretty steep to swim with Dolphins!!