Where to find Coffee bean market/farm to buy a few hundred pounds of beans?

Cape Verdanon

Apr 13, 2008
Where can one, in the Puerto Plata area, or any area in the DR for that matter,, find a market/farm where one can buy fresh green coffee beans in bulk, preferably at the fair trade price of $1.26 a pound? How much is the current price per pound in the DR for green coffee beans going for now in bulk purchases >200 pounds?
I have heard that the Cibao, Ocoa, and Bahorulo regions of the mountains is where the best quality cofee grows in high altitudes. Will I have to go over there and get in touch with the farmers to avoid the middleman and get the cheapest price?
Basically, where from Puerto Plata/Sosua/Cabarete can the source for these green coffee beans?
Thanks all in advance.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You can start here, you need to register for FREE.
You will not get a few hundred LBS of raw coffee beans through customs on either end without a broker.

Dominican Coffee - El Tesoro del Caribe

These are the Organic Growers, I found on this GREEN DR1 Blog!
http://www.dr1.com/blogs/entry.php?u=environment&e_id=1091

COFFEE:

* ADOCAFES: lahm@verizon.net.do TEL 809-582-7391 FAX 809-241-8817

* CODOCAFE: Untitled Page info@codocafe.gov.do TEL 809-533-1984 FAX 809-487-0168

* Eko-Bio Dominicana: ekobio@verizon.net.do TEL 809-574-2020 FAX 809-574-6722

* Fenix Trading: Fenix Trading, C x A Dominican Republic_______________________________________________________________ info@fenixtrading.com TEL 809-378-0392 FAX 809-378-0398

* Nazario Rizek, C.porA.: Nazario Rizek agromarket@nazariorizek.com

Ramirez & Co.: TEL 809-760-7040 FAX 809-247-2209

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Please buy through a farmers organization or collective. This is the way that the farmers protect themselves against unfair trade practice.

Sounds good to me. Hey, wouldn't it be a good idea to make a sticky with this kind of contact info? This would be a great way to give back to the community and given that DR1 is so reknowned as far as the DR goes, could really make a difference.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
We have a lot of this information in environment Chip, but I am not unwilling to make a sticky here in living - if people have information to add freely here? The coffee producers/growers are not really on the well-trodden tourist highway. ;)

I have a lot of information but will have to take a little time to put it together. In the meantime, anyone with coffee producer info .. just list it here! (Is that what you meant?)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'd contact Monte Alto in Jarabacoa. They produce a line of organic coffee (excellent, BTW) in fairly small batches. Alida's cousin's family, the Ramirez's in Jarabacoa, owns it.

Cafe Jarabacoa (not related to Monte Alto) is a coffee grower cooperative that also produces coffee for export.

Cape Verdanon

Apr 13, 2008
Thanks for that list Tamborista...
We all know how mind blowing Dominican coffee can be if correctly brewed so let's keep spilling out the coffee producer list!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I assume you understand you can not toss 50LBS of raw beans in a suitcase!

Good luck, and keep us posted please.

tambo'

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
FEDECARES - are in the south, but for the benefit of future searchers I'll include their details here- they have fair trade and organic certification.
Federaci?n de Caficultores de la Regi?n Sur (FEDECARES)
Calle 27 de Febrero, No. 84, Barrio Pueblo Nuevo, San Crist?bal - REPUBLICA DOMINICANA
Tel: +809 528-7552 / Fax: +809 528-6719
Email: fed.cafe[at]codetel.net.do
FEDECARES - Who we are

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Word

We have a lot of this information in environment Chip, but I am not unwilling to make a sticky here in living - if people have information to add freely here? The coffee producers/growers are not really on the well-trodden tourist highway. ;)

I have a lot of information but will have to take a little time to put it together. In the meantime, anyone with coffee producer info .. just list it here! (Is that what you meant?)

i second the vote, I am a BIG fan of organic products [especially coffee], would be great to get it in TRAILER LOADS from DR into NY! :)