Post Thanks / Like

Default Where to find Coffee bean market/farm to buy a few hundred pounds of beans?

Where can one, in the Puerto Plata area, or any area in the DR for that matter,, find a market/farm where one can buy fresh green coffee beans in bulk, preferably at the fair trade price of $1.26 a pound? How much is the current price per pound in the DR for green coffee beans going for now in bulk purchases >200 pounds?
    I have heard that the Cibao, Ocoa, and Bahorulo regions of the mountains is where the best quality cofee grows in high altitudes. Will I have to go over there and get in touch with the farmers to avoid the middleman and get the cheapest price?
    Basically, where from Puerto Plata/Sosua/Cabarete can the source for these green coffee beans?
    Thanks all in advance.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

You can start here, you need to register for FREE.
    You will not get a few hundred LBS of raw coffee beans through customs on either end without a broker.

Dominican Coffee - El Tesoro del Caribe

These are the Organic Growers, I found on this GREEN DR1 Blog!
    http://www.dr1.com/blogs/entry.php?u...ment&e_id=1091

COFFEE:

* ADOCAFES: [email protected] TEL 809-582-7391 FAX 809-241-8817

* CODOCAFE: Untitled Page [email protected] TEL 809-533-1984 FAX 809-487-0168

* Eko-Bio Dominicana: [email protected] TEL 809-574-2020 FAX 809-574-6722

* Fenix Trading: Fenix Trading, C x A Dominican Republic_______________________________________________________________ [email protected] TEL 809-378-0392 FAX 809-378-0398

* Nazario Rizek, C.porA.: Nazario Rizek [email protected]

Ramirez & Co.: TEL 809-760-7040 FAX 809-247-2209

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Please buy through a farmers organization or collective. This is the way that the farmers protect themselves against unfair trade practice.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Please buy through a farmers organization or collective. This is the way that the farmers protect themselves against unfair trade practice.
    Sounds good to me. Hey, wouldn't it be a good idea to make a sticky with this kind of contact info? This would be a great way to give back to the community and given that DR1 is so reknowned as far as the DR goes, could really make a difference.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a lot of this information in environment Chip, but I am not unwilling to make a sticky here in living - if people have information to add freely here? The coffee producers/growers are not really on the well-trodden tourist highway.

I have a lot of information but will have to take a little time to put it together. In the meantime, anyone with coffee producer info .. just list it here! (Is that what you meant?)

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd contact Monte Alto in Jarabacoa. They produce a line of organic coffee (excellent, BTW) in fairly small batches. Alida's cousin's family, the Ramirez's in Jarabacoa, owns it.

Cafe Jarabacoa (not related to Monte Alto) is a coffee grower cooperative that also produces coffee for export.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that list Tamborista...
    We all know how mind blowing Dominican coffee can be if correctly brewed so let's keep spilling out the coffee producer list!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I assume you understand you can not toss 50LBS of raw beans in a suitcase!

Good luck, and keep us posted please.

tambo'

Post Thanks / Like

FEDECARES - are in the south, but for the benefit of future searchers I'll include their details here- they have fair trade and organic certification.
    Federación de Caficultores de la Región Sur (FEDECARES)
    Calle 27 de Febrero, No. 84, Barrio Pueblo Nuevo, San Cristóbal - REPUBLICA DOMINICANA
    Tel: +809 528-7552 / Fax: +809 528-6719
    Email: fed.cafe[at]codetel.net.do
    FEDECARES - Who we are

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Word

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    We have a lot of this information in environment Chip, but I am not unwilling to make a sticky here in living - if people have information to add freely here? The coffee producers/growers are not really on the well-trodden tourist highway.

I have a lot of information but will have to take a little time to put it together. In the meantime, anyone with coffee producer info .. just list it here! (Is that what you meant?)
    i second the vote, I am a BIG fan of organic products [especially coffee], would be great to get it in TRAILER LOADS from DR into NY!