Can I use a navigation system in dr?

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
I am just curious if a navigation system will be useful in the city. Please, let me know if this is ok and if I can bring one from the states.

Thanks!

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
What does it matter where I'm from? I just read in other threads that you can't really use a navigation system in the dr because it really won't be accurate. I'm from the states...but really I'm not trying to say that the DR is in the woods if that's what you are implying. I am asking a question that is pretty valid ( I think).

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
ok if you are from the states then i would think you know that GPS systems havent been configured for most [if not all] islands in the caribbean. just wondering.....PR is an exception since it is 'US territory' but even so 75% + of that island is MIA on the GPS databases.....i suggest a laptop card and google earth

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My partner brought his Garmin down. We drove all over: SDQ, STI, Jarabacoa, Moca-Saneneta-Nagua-Samana, SFM...and it actually showed the roads we were on. Not great detail, but it even had unmarked streets of SFM on it. Somebody is doing something GPS-input wise.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
My partner brought his Garmin down. We drove all over: SDQ, STI, Jarabacoa, Moca-Saneneta-Nagua-Samana, SFM...and it actually showed the roads we were on. Not great detail, but it even had unmarked streets of SFM on it. Somebody is doing something GPS-input wise.

really??? wow!

I was going to suggest that it would still be helpful even without roads because it would still tell you your long-lat relative position...which could help.