Anyone with an internet business in D.R.?

DogKeeper

Apr 9, 2008
Hi,

We are considering a move to the D.R. Our business is 100% over the net. We use a US based bank and a US based credit card processor. We were told that they would not look fondly on our business being located off US shores. So, we may have to located a new merchant service...anyone out there know how to do this?

Thanks!
TJ

mike.n.amy

Jun 4, 2007
TJ:

I'm not sure I understand who the "they" is in "they would not look fondly on our business being located off US shores", but we do have an internet based business we operate from the DR - though our business is still technically based in the USA.

The biggest thing to think of before relocating is the speed and reliability of internet service here. There are lots of posts if you do a search for "internet" on the forum. I can tell you that is is NOT as reliable and NOT as fast as the US no matter what the services themselves will tell you. Power goes in and out about once a day minimum and hence internet goes down as well. The fastest speeds available here (Sosua/Cabarete) are 768 - 1.5 MB download speeds but run slower in actuality.

Bottom line, if you have patience and flexibility you can run a business online from the DR. If you need instant downloads for something like daytrading in the markets - forget about it. :)

Best of luck!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
DR1 is a business run out of the DR :)

As Mike says... The Internet is not as fast or reliable as in the US, Europe etc.

Why would you processor care? The cards are not being run from here. I'm assuming all the transactions are made online via your website?

Don't tell them your moving and have your mail forwarded to the DR from an EPS, Business Mail or similar address in Miami.

sheller

Mar 22, 2006
The cost of reliable internet in the DR is very expensive. My company pays 28,000.00 peso's a month through Codetel. The service is very reliable.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The cost of reliable internet in the DR is very expensive. My company pays 28,000.00 peso's a month through Codetel. The service is very reliable.

Sure, you can buy dedicated fibre etc, but that's in a different league and not in 99% of the budgets of people asking on this board about connectivity reliability.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Internet? Electricity Was Developed Over 100 Years Ago, And It Still Doesn't Reach The Capital City Well. You Can Buy Codetel Flash- For A Big Sum And Still Have No Power.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We have power and reliable internet in our office in Santo Domingo.

It's obtainable, you just need to do it right. No, it doesn't cost a fortune.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
from DR1 posted today
"We don't know
The energy distributors and government have been mum on the latest set of rolling blackouts affecting Dominicans. Listin Diario writes that only AES Dominicana and EdeSur have made comments, explaining that service would return to normal in the next few days. EdeSur says they are at a production deficit of 200 MW while AES says that one of the Dominican Power Partner (DPP) plants would return to the system with 105 MW of energy produced by natural gas. The State Run Electric Companies (CDEEE) has yet to explain why blackouts have become more frequent. Reports are that hydroelectric production is down 50%."

the truth is power is a bummer

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Lots of misleading info in this thread! Listen to what Robert says. I have a US merchant account and it works fine. My discount rate is a little higher, thats all. Internet access is fine, occaisionally it has problems, but so does internet in the US. I've been doing it here for 6.5 years now.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Lots of misleading info in this thread! Listen to what Robert says. I have a US merchant account and it works fine. My discount rate is a little higher, thats all. Internet access is fine, occaisionally it has problems, but so does internet in the US. I've been doing it here for 6.5 years now.

Do you have a ups that protects the signal from being dropped when the power cycles on and off? If so, how much do they cost?

thanks

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I use laptops, so that eliminates a lot of problems. Then I have an inverter. And finally, yes, I do have a bunch of UPS's. They are old and I can't really tell if they work properly, but my internet (hub/ethernet/dsl modem) don't go out when there is a power issue. It may be the inverter keeping everything up, I'm not sure.

I don't know about the cost, maybe US$50 or so? Just get whatever they have at Cecomsa or pricesmart and you should be fine.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I use laptops, so that eliminates a lot of problems. Then I have an inverter. And finally, yes, I do have a bunch of UPS's. They are old and I can't really tell if they work properly, but my internet (hub/ethernet/dsl modem) don't go out when there is a power issue. It may be the inverter keeping everything up, I'm not sure.

I don't know about the cost, maybe US$50 or so? Just get whatever they have at Cecomsa or pricesmart and you should be fine.

Thanks, I have a UPS that I bought here for about that price and also have an inverter, but still lose my signal 50% of the time when the power cycles on. It maybe that the inverter I have is inferior, it was cheap after all. I imagine you probably have a Trace, correct?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I have a 1.5kw trace that is 5-6 years old now (although it hardly gets used since I have 2 good generator backups). I did this with a no-name inverter in the beginning and had the problem you described. When I switched to trace all my problems went away.

My electricity is rock solid reliable.

Feb 7, 2007
It depends on teh card that is in the inverter. The card does a "switch". There are some cards that do switch at a blink so the power cycle does not occur. There are others that make the power cycle occur. For example, PowerMagic is inexpensive one and switches rapidly so the power-cycle does not occur.