OLD, OLD C?dula...

BIZC8

Dec 21, 2006
Ok, let me try and keep it as simple as possible. I left the island back in... '83. I was fourteen then and managed to get a c?dula (the paper kind). I have never gotten that renewed EVER.

I've been living in the US since and my parents having acquired US citizenship, passed it down to me as their child. I have visited the country on two occasions, but on neither visit did I have time to go through the process of getting it renewed/replaced to the new system.

Is it possible to do that from abroad (US) provided I present the appropriate paperwork (birth certificate and old c?dula) and if so, where?

Thanks.

;)

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Yes

You can go to the Dominican Embassy in your state, or the closest one near you. Also, contact the JCE (Junta Central Electoral) in your state or the one nearest you and ask them. They are the ones that handle the Cedulas. Below is a list of the JCE's in mayor cities. You can call and ask them if you can get it while in the states, if not the process to get a new Cedula is easy.

Next time you are in the DR go get a new copy of your birth certificate, then go to the Cedula office and get your picture taken. You will get your cedula fairly soon.

New York
1501 Broadway, suite 410, NY
Tel:646-562-9605
Fax:646-562-9663

Boston
20 Park plaza, suite 607
The startler Building, Boston Ma. 02116
Tel:617-423-3224
Fax:617-482-2168

New Jersey
152 Market Street, Suite 406, 07505
Paterson, New Jersey
Tel:973-279-3633

Miami
1038 Brickell Ave.
Miami Fl. 33131
Tel 305-377-3340

Mr. Lu

guandulera

Apr 22, 2008
Regarding to this I have a question myself. I became a US citizen but I never ask if by doing that I loose my dominican citezenship. Do I still have the same rights in my country?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Some info on this:
One of our workers (distant cousin of one employee) which resides here in Orlando Fl, had the same problem. He was asked to send a copy of his Birth Certificate, since they're using new ones in the JCE just as the cedulas. Once they get that copy, they can issue a new cedula for him.

Keep in mind that no JCE office will issue a cedula until after the election is over and a winner is officially announced!!!!! That will be after the 16th...
So keep that in mind before you try to get your new cedula at one of the JCE offices in the USA.

I still keep my old paper cedula as a memento!! LOL!! Serie 31...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Regarding to this I have a question myself. I became a US citizen but I never ask if by doing that I loose my dominican citezenship. Do I still have the same rights in my country?

You're still very much a Dominican citizen with all your rights unchanged...
The DR enacted the "Dual nationality" long ago...

Dominicana hasta que te mueras!

guandulera

Apr 22, 2008
Eurika. Thank you Pichardo its so good to know. Por eso es que es bueno preguntar y si Dominicana hasta la tambora...........ji ji ji

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
My mother has a old cedula from 1979 and a birth certificate from 83' and a passport that expired in 85', what would be the process for her to get a cedula. Can she go to the consulate in new york or have to go to DR???

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
My mother has a old cedula from 1979 and a birth certificate from 83' and a passport that expired in 85', what would be the process for her to get a cedula. Can she go to the consulate in new york or have to go to DR???

All she needs is to visit the JCE closest to her and bring her BC only. She'll get a new BC issued and then she can get the new cedula and once she gets this, she can goto the Dominican consulate to apply for a new passport.

The JCE office only does BC and Cedulas, no passports, which are the work of the consulate.

As posted above the contact for the JCE in NYC is:

New York
1501 Broadway, suite 410, NY
Tel:646-562-9605
Fax:646-562-9663

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
So she can get this all done at the Junta Central Electoral in NY? Wow sounds so easy, and after she recieves a renewed cedula, i can start the process of citizenship?

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
hey pichardo, thanks for the great information , my mother will be going next week since they wont be doing cedulas during elections, i want to know if the process for her to renew will be done in one day? and once she recieves her cedula can she renew her passport as well?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
It all depends on how much she's willing to spend (elbow grease) to get her new Cedula and so on...

In the DR money creates miracles otherwise impossible in any other culture...
Once she gets the new Cedula a visit to the passport office is quick but it will take sometime to get that one.

As you noted, the JCE is not issuing any Cedulas until after the lections are done with (and certified).

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
well pichardo were in new york so elbow grease is in USD lol, how long would it take her to get it here i mean she has about 2 months before we go to DR.

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
hey pichardo, i meant to ask you a question while you was on msn but it was your nephew, my mother will be going to the JCE in ny on tuesday, will she need to bring her marriage certificate also, although in her last passport she is listed as married because she lost her original copy and only has copies of it. do you know the office hours for the JCE?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
hey pichardo, i meant to ask you a question while you was on msn but it was your nephew, my mother will be going to the JCE in ny on tuesday, will she need to bring her marriage certificate also, although in her last passport she is listed as married because she lost her original copy and only has copies of it. do you know the office hours for the JCE?

All she needs to get a new Cedula is a BC, no marriage certificate or anything else...

Just the old BC from the DR is all they need from her, as far as civil status goes, she can opt to file married, single, separated or else she wants...

The JCE in NY operates regular office hours, but for documents and stuff the cut out is 3:00 pm I think last I heard...

She doesn't need to visit for the BC, since she can fax the old one so that by the time she needs to go there, the new BC will be ready and awaiting for the pics and data to issue the Cedula...

Ralph told me all about the chat in MSN! Guess you met the "aleman" in the family...

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
yeah i met the aleman! hahahah i found him very similar to me since i am the italiano hahahaha. cant wait to get my cedula, hope some elbow grease can get it to me fast :)

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Ok, let me try and keep it as simple as possible. I left the island back in... '83. I was fourteen then and managed to get a c?dula (the paper kind). I have never gotten that renewed EVER.

I don't know how you got the cedula been 14 years old. I had to wait to be 16 to get mine.

PRIMERA C?DULA

Si nunca has obtenido tu C?dula de Identidad y Electoral solo tendr?s que dirigirte al Centro de Cedulaci?n m?s cercano, con tu Acta de Nacimiento original en papel de seguridad y para fines de c?dula, esta primera c?dula no tiene costo alguno.

a. C?dula de Menor de Edad
Los menores que hayan alcanzado la edad de 16 a?os est?n aptos para tener su C?dula de Identidad Personal, la cual no ser? valida para votar, y la pueden obtener en cualquier Centro de Cedulaci?n.

b. C?dula de Mayor de Edad
Ciudadanos con posibilidad de votar son aquellos con edad de 18 a?os o m?s.
Si antes adquiri? su C?dula de Menor, s?lo vaya al Centro de Cedulaci?n m?s cercano para hacer un cambio de carnet de menor a mayor, sin aportar ning?n documento.

Diferencias entre C?dula de Identidad y C?dula de Identidad y Electoral.

a) La C?dula de Identidad y Electoral son aquellas que tienen la categor?a 01 (normal), y est? habilitado para que el ciudadano pueda ejercer el derecho al voto.

b) La C?dula de Identidad: Son aquellas que identifican al ciudadano, pero que por su condici?n especial de categor?a, 02, 03, 04, entre otras, no pueden ejercer el derecho al voto, en estos est?n incluidos los menores, militares, polic?as y extranjeros.

JJ.

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
Tuesday my mother and i will be going to the JCE in NY for her to renew her cedula (also getting a new birth certificate) then going to the Consulate to legalize and translate my birth certificate. Once i get my mothers cedula im pretty much set in DR with the rest of the stuff.